6.0 Powerstroke in a river jetboat???

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Azazel
Southern Airboat Member

6.0 Powerstroke in a river jetboat???

Post by Azazel »

I know this is the AirBot Forum forum and maybe off-topic, but...

I am currently shopping for a jetboat (for the river) with an inboard engine. I see lots of small block engines and 2 stroke marine engine, but no diesel. I know the bigger boats run Volvo Penta's and Cummins engine, so types of diesel are no stranger to the water. The 6.0 PSD makes such good horsepower and has inexpensive power mods, so I thought it would probably make a good choice for a powerplant in a jetboat. Does anyone know of a company that puts power strokes in riverboats or know of anyone who has done a conversion? Some of the inboard 2-stroke engines I am looking at are in the $11,000 range, so it should be comparable to the PSD price.

Here are the pro's and con's I can think of:
Pro: Lots of power and torque. Inexpensive power increases (Tuners). Better fuel consumption than gas. Diesel is cheaper than gas.

Con: PSD is probably 2-3 times heavier than a small block gas engine. Relatively low RPM engine (compared to gas) which may limit jet unit (although should be able to compensate with gear/chain overdrive to the jet unit).
Drop-in K&N Filter -Invidia Gemini CBE -Z1 Oil Cooler -Swift Springs - EcuTek -Forgestar F14

Watterbug
Southern Airboat Member

Re: 6.0 Powerstroke in a river jetboat???

Post by Watterbug »

$11.000 will not get much of a jet boat, Maybe add another 0

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 »

You might be better off looking at some of the powerstroke forums. But the short answer is this, the 6.0 can be made into a pretty damn reliable engine in a truck...with extensive and costly modifications. But in stock form, the design of that engine has flaws. Sure there are some bone stock 6.0’s out there that have put out years of reliable service. But you were talking about putting it into an environment it was not built for, almost certainly with higher RPM. My advice, don’t do it.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

To some degree, I would echo what Seven3 said. The biggest flaw in the 6.0 design is the head bolts. When International designed the engine, they used a minimal amount of head bolts. To make matters worse, they used what's called Torque-to-Yield bolts. Millions of engines of all sizes have used TTY bolts. Here's the problem; once a bolt has been stressed to the yield point, they actually lose strength. Generally speaking, this isn't much of an issue. However, in the 6.0, for whatever their thought process was (really? you want to save 8 bolts per engine?), there isn't enough clamping force left to hold the heads down, particularly in high stress situations (e.g. power adders, marine use, racing). The already yielded head bolts stretch allowing the head gasket seal to fail. Coolant flows into the cylinder and WHAM!!! Hydrolock, engine busts into pieces. Two things you can do to make the 6.0 nearly bullet-proof; replace the TTY head bolts with studs and lose the exhaust gas cooler (another bullcrap design that will allow coolant to enter the engine). At that point, you could use the 6.0 in the use you intend. All that being said, unless you are talking $11K for only the powerplant, you are way out of the ball park. Not sure adding another 0 is correct but you will need a whole lot more money than that for a Diesel powered jetboat.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 »

The TTY bolts were a major problem, but if you’re gonna throw a lot of boost and power at a 6.0, just going to studs won’t necessarily solve the problem 100%. They can still blow the head gaskets. The best way is to get a set of heads that have been O-ringed and had bronze valve guides installed. Other than that, deleting the EGR, or welding the factory one closed, is also essential so that you are not overheating the coolant. I’m not knocking the 6.0, I just don’t think a jet boat that is going to be seeing high RPMs is the best environment for it.

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Lwells »

Why not consider a 7.3 diesel

M0RYAK
Southern Airboat Member

Post by M0RYAK »

You can see here some information:

viewtopic.php?f=133&t=72425

Return to “Airboat Talk”