Greetings from minnesota

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
minnesotasnowman
Southern Airboat Member

Greetings from minnesota

Post by minnesotasnowman »

Hello to all. My name is Clyde. Brand spankin new to the forum. I'm a retired heavy equipment and machinery hauler. Me and my wife live on a 20 acre hobby farm on the Mississippi rvr. North central Mn. I do have the bug! Easily a hundred miles of river to explore plus all the lakes up here. It is definitely a winter project.

I have so many questions I don't know where to start. I'm certain some or all of these questions have been covered in one way or another. If I'm being too redundant just direct me please. Here goes.

What I have. Desire, determination and a heated shop. An early 70's ford 302, 225 hp marine engine complete with water manifolds, all the gauges, ignition etc. It is presently hooked up to a stern drive (omc). When i strip the boat and crush the hull, (with my bulldozer),lol All I will need is a radiator, fuel tank, reduction drive and a variable pitch prop.

The hull will be aluminum roughly, approximately 14 ft. by 8ft. by 14 to 16 inches deep. A long rise in the bow. It will seat 4 and room for some fishing gear. Center of gravity. I'm thinking keep the engine lower, build a stand for the prop, tank in the hull and get rid of the water manifolds and a radiator between the engine and prop. Double rudder. Joy stick control. I need info the thickness of the bottom, sides, specs on the stringers, should i rivet and or weld. Definitely a poly bottom and up the sides a little. Hows that 4 starters. PS. A lot of our lakes are connected by channels, which require a closed throttle so A little electric trolling motor for some reverse control. Surprised there isn't a Mn. air boat heading.

All you folks are amazing. Looking forward to hearing from you when it is convenient. Thank you for reading

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Greetings from minnesota

Post by Slidin Gator »

Snowman,

It sounds like you are on the right track. You don't need an outrageous amount of power for lake running, the equation changes if you might need to run dry ground to get from one lake to another, or maybe skip around the locks. Riveting makes for the strongest and lightest hull but you may not need it for your area and welding is way quicker, easier and cheaper. Are there a lot of rocks to contend with? Ice is probably your biggest enemy so you either go thick and heavy (with a lot of power) or riveted, light and strong. Keep in mind that once you get her running you will find you can go places you never imagined running, so open your imagination about where you might run.

You don't say if you are thinking gear box or direct drive. As a direct drive engine, the 302 will work but power will be limited as you won't be able to spin the prop past 3,000 RPM. It will take some building to make power in that range and you will have to make an adapter plate to mount a starter. I don't know if they make a gear box to match the Ford pattern, but gearing changes the equation significantly.

As for the heated shop, I can't imagine what the heating is good for, my shop is air conditioned, I open the doors if I need heat.
I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

I'm a Ford guy from way back but sometimes you have to go with the flow and in the airboat world, it's either aircraft or Chevy by a wide margin. That being said, if you must go with the 302, you can ditch the marine manifolds for headers; you won't need a water-jacketed exhaust. Also, what Gator said about a direct drive setup, especially with an anemic engine like the 302, you will eventually find yourself very limited once you begin to venture off the lakes and rivers. Another consideration that you didn't mention is how big of a boat do you plan to build? The 302 might be enough for a 12 foot boat but will not be even remotely adequate for say, a 15 or 16 footer. The next consideration is how many people and how much gear do you plan to run with? Actually, that's probably the first consideration as that will dictate the size of the boat. There are a lot of considerations when it comes to building an airboat and you've certainly come to the right place. There are people here who truly know their sheet when it comes to this sport. Enjoy and hope your pockets are deep. AIRBOAT= Anytime It Runs, Break Out Another Thousand. :)
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

Heavy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Heavy »

Welcome snowman, don't know if you are a ford guy or just trying to re-purpose a motor since it is laying around. I too tried the option of using what i had on the engine stand (351Cleveland) and even with a 2 blade and 2.38 gear box it was not enough to push the 14x8 fiberglass hull i put it on so there is lot of value in digginfool response of "go with the flow" view point. I however being the Ford lover i am just went bigger Ford motor. If you are set on re-purposing the 302 try to look at hdsadey post on here about a direct drive 302 platform and consider some upgrades to that 225hp you are looking at. Good luck however you proceed.
14' Jimmy White /557BB Ford Motor :florida: :rebel:

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator »

Heavy wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:28 pm
If you are set on re-purposing the 302 try to look at hdsadey post on here about a direct drive 302 platform and consider some upgrades to that 225hp you are looking at. Good luck however you proceed.
Heavy,
Good call, Hdsadey is our resident Ford man. Just note that HD's build is a 351 stroked to 408, the 302's bigger brother.

viewtopic.php?t=71651

Snowman,
Most of us started out with direct drive setups. Those that started with car motors got tired of getting stuck, so they built gear drive setups.

Those of us that started with direct drive aviation engines made to throw a prop can't imagine anything running better, so we keep running em. :stirpot:
digginfool wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:21 am
The 302 might be enough for a 12 foot boat but will not be even remotely adequate for say, a 15 or 16 footer.
Diggin is right all the way around here, you are in the middle, but a 14 x 8 footer is a lot of boat for a 302. It will work, but it won't take you where you (will) want to go. If you want to run that engine without gear, consider stroking it, either way make it a 12 x 7 build, no wider than 7'4".
I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

Slidin Gator wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:12 pm
Those of us that started with direct drive aviation engines made to throw a prop can't imagine anything running better, so we keep running em. :stirpot:
:toothy7: :slap: :fishing
river.PNG
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

Return to “Airboat Talk”