Poll *** Direct Drive Caddy vs. Gear Reduction/Belt Drive

Best airboat discussion on the internet.

How Many of you run direct drive Caddy's or do you run Gear Reduction/Blet drives

Poll ended at Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:10 am

Direct Drive Caddy?
33%
Gear Reduction/Belt Drive?
67%

Total votes: 18

nebraskaairboater
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby nebraskaairboater » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:25 pm

I think he meant your crusing rpm stated in a previous post. You said you cruise at 2300 rpm faster thant most people you run with.
Dan Porter, Jr.
Fremont, NE
16 x 8 1971 Flat Bottom Fiberglass Hull / 500 Cadillac/ 2.12:1 Rotator / 80" 3-Blade Sensenich S

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Waterthunder » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:31 pm

Thanks your right I miss understood him. My deck over runs a 2.68 Rotator and I cruise around 2,200RPM or 850RPM at the prop. On more reason why my boat is so quite.

barhopper
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby barhopper » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:42 pm

Belt or gear drive is the only way to go. All you have to do is drive one and you will find out there is no comparison.

Airboatcapt2
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Belt Dirves

Postby Airboatcapt2 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:46 pm

I have customers running belt drives for over 15 years with no problems. (Some not even changing one belt).

"I'm a big fan of the belt drive"

Used hundreds upon hundreds of belt drives.

I have used a dozen gear drives and have had several problems.

Just my 2cents
Faron Floyd
American Airboat Corp
Orange, Texas
www.americanairboats.com
409-920-0716 Cell
Airboatcapt2@aol.com

stan
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby stan » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:30 pm

belt drive i love the added weight on the rear ,keeps the boat off it,s nose how ever if gas keeps going up probly half to go to a smaller boat with dd cadi. just my $ 1.02 worth

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Waterthunder » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:00 am

Belt drives have their place their good reliable but they don't perform as well as a gearbox. But that’s my opinion I look at it this way if I want to tow or haul something I use my diesel truck if I want to joy ride and zip around corners I drive a Vete or Camaro. The Vete don’t haul very much and my truck don’t turn well so they’re both good at something but their not the same. The belt drive is a truck and the gearbox is the Vete.

big feather

Postby big feather » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:57 am

Thunder, I almost bought a Vette once, and then the salesman told me ya' couldn't put a trailer hich on one!!

Jim was really bragging on you .... he says you're doin' some pretty amazing stuff. Look forward to meeting you.

K.

jim
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby jim » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:01 pm

Don't tell him that Ken! He'll raise his prices.:roll:

Jim

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Waterthunder » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:06 pm

You guy's are killing me. I do try to supply a motor for each budget, that’s why I came up with three different motors the rebuilt motor the high performance blue printed motor and now to cover the crate motor peddlers that were bashing me I sell an all new motor with much higher quality parts than the crate motors. Like I always preach, each application requires something different. Anyway if the next run is in Melbourne are you both attending? I look forward to ridding with you guy's

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Waterthunder » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:09 pm

Oh Ya thanks for the complement Jim will you be in the area Thursday. If so there is something going on that I’m sure you would like to attend.

Capt Ken
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Capt Ken » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:10 pm

I have ran both set ups. Both have pros and cons. Direct drive takes my vote over all. I currently have a 500 caddy, 2:1 belt drive turning a three blade Powershift prop. Better performance, but tough on the engine. Stay with a direct drive and a two blade paddle prop and you won't have to worry about the anything. You won't have much snap, but top end will run with the aircraft engine boys. They won't like to hear that, but been there done that. One problem with the direct drive is running the ground or getting stuck. Been there done that too!! Have fun :D

Arnaudd
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Poll *** Direct Drive Caddy vs. Gear Reduction/Belt Drive

Postby Arnaudd » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:57 am

Chevy 250ci...dd or psru?

BluByU2
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby BluByU2 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:14 am

I've run a DD Caddy for years using different hulls, and they have always performed extremely well. I just added a rotator to my new rig, and it definitely outperforms a DD application. My cruise rpm went from 1900 rpm using a three blade, 72 inch "Q", to 2100 rpm using a 79" Whirlwind 2.0. I have gained much more push, and it would be difficult to go back to a DD application.

rdb
Southern Airboat Member

Postby rdb » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:15 pm

gear reduction, so you do not have to worry about thrust bearing

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:15 pm

i would definitely put a gear on it.

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Postby DuckNutt » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:01 am

I'm starting my build in two weeks. Alumitech said I'll have the hull next week. I was lucky enough to buy the last 500 that Glen built before he retired and sold Muscle Machine to Mark. Gotta put a plug for Mark "good dude and I'm sure he'll maintain the same quality that Glen's known for. Mark has been with Glen for years and I'm sure Glen will be hanging at the shop. Anyway, I bought a 2.09 OxBox for this build and the new Sensenich "J" for it. And man them components are "purdy"

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:58 am

Ducknutt, not to be nosey, but when did Glen retire and sell the shop to Mark? I am hoping just recently. Based on what I've read here and heard elsewhere, I've referred some folks to Muscle Machine and had been telling them to talk to Glen. Just curious how long I've had my other foot in my mouth. :oops: .. Good box choice, by the way. :thumbleft:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Postby DuckNutt » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:00 am

Deano - I went and bought my engine about 6 weeks ago and Glen was there but he had already sold the shop to Mark at that time. We joked about him being there and he told me he'll still come hang out as much as "mama" lets him. The lucky part for me was Glen had the last of his engines in the clean room and one of them was the 500 I bought. I've got Mark's cell if you need it, just PM me.

richbag
Southern Airboat Member

Postby richbag » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:33 am

I don't have an airboat but I've been around them sense the 70's pre gear box or belt drive. I can tell you my friends went to gear box and other friend went to belt drive. the different is weather you get out of the boat and push or not. If I were to buy my self an airboat it defiantly have a box on the ass of the boat hands down. No more pushing LOL.

Return to “Airboat Talk”