Muffled Stacks

A discussion on ways to reduce it.
mudholian
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Muffled Stacks

Postby mudholian » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:27 pm

Have been running stacks with expansion chambers for a while and have been checked by FWC 2 times, they had no problem with it. Yesterday I was loading up at Cypress and Osceola County Sheriff drove down to the launch in his truck and did a "safety" check. Had all my safety equipment but didnt have me regestration. He let me slide on the regestration. After the safety check was complete, he commented that my exhaust was no good and did not meet the requierments. I told him that FWC had checked me and had no problem with it. My stacks have expansion chambers and baffels. after chatting with him for a while, he decided not to write me for my exhaust because he was not 100% sure if they were leagel or not. I am letting everyone know this because I have had a bunch of people tell me they would like to have some stacks like mine if they would pass for legal. I dont seee how one persone can say they are ok and the next one say they aren't...
Attachments
Jet Coating3.JPG
Jet Coating3.JPG (190.36 KiB) Viewed 1955 times

stroked470
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Muffled Stacks

Postby stroked470 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:37 pm

At one time there was something about you had to run your exhaust past your transom I believe 3" if you had an open style boat. Had nothing to do with muffling itself it had to do with the Coast Guard wanting it that way due to the possibility of sparks being blown into the bottom of your hull and residual fuel in the boat and starting a fire, kinda the same princable behind having to have a spark arrastore on your carb. That would be the only way I could see them having any issue with having stacks with mufflers built in. Who knows though each LEO interprits the law and statutes differently it seems, they never seem to all enforce the same thing. Those are diffinately some good looking stacks, I remeber seing pics of them when you were building that boat.

bruceharwell
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby bruceharwell » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:36 pm

WHERE can I get a set of those stacks?!?!?!?!?!? :bounce:

mudholian
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby mudholian » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:44 pm

PM sent.

Moritz
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Moritz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:50 am

Those are not legal get it quieter

badge01
Southern Airboat Member

Postby badge01 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:08 am

The exhaust of every engine used on any airboat operated in Florida must use an automotive-style factory muffler, underwater exhaust, or other manufactured device capable of adequately muffling the sound of the engine exhaust. The use of cutouts or flex pipe as the sole source of muffling is prohibited.

When I'm looking at exhaust mufflers as long as your expansion tubes have baffles and not just resemble a open can on a pipe your in compliance currently. Not trying to be tuff but dont want the snowbirds to have more fire to burn us airboaters with.
do it right or dont do it at all!!

12' airgator 500 caddy DD 8bld warp drive

Daddy Dave
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Daddy Dave » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:09 pm

Those stacks are sure pretty - and they might be technically legal and quiet as your personl vehicle -- I do not know.

The issue to every single one of us is: Is it effective at muffling sound produced by the engine. Somehow, someway, we have to get to the point where "QUIET" is cool. IMHO -- the cumulative effect of "technically legal" is slowly burying each and every one of us airboaters.
A I R B O A T

Anytime It Runs, Break Out Another Thousand

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:33 pm

nice thought there bigdaddy and ya know I agree ... problem is it aint gonna happen until it is too late unfortunately .. but it has been a hell of a ride
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Return to “Airboat Sound”