upstack header questions

A discussion on ways to reduce it.
UpStAcK0360
Southern Airboat Member

upstack header questions

Postby UpStAcK0360 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:59 pm

hey guys need a few opinions, im building a new set of headers for my 200 upstack out of stainless, now the question is im going to build the headers to point out the side and rear of the boat and i was going to use vortex cone inserts for a muffler....is that legal some say it is and some say it isnt, technically its a automotive style muffling device right and they cant stick there d#cks through it so it should be fine i hope....
Outlaw Airboats 321-262-4034

tgallo
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: upstack header questions

Postby tgallo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:09 pm

Why not just weld a real nice set of shorties to the end of your headers and not worry about getting hassled at all? Mudholian had a pretty cool set of stacks on his boat at one time that were perfectly legal and very very clean looking im sure theres a pic floating around somewhere of them. If you have a upstack motor why not a set of ramhorns? I think they look cool as shiz, I have them on my motor and was worried at first about center cylinder temp but not a problem at all. Anyways good luck either way you go! Post some pics when you get done!
My drinking team has a fishing problem!

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bruce » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:56 pm

short bullet mufflers would be the way i have a av lycoming with just cones in the headers it makes u a target for sure and i def wouldnt use ram horns because of exhaust flow best part of an upstack is cool air in the bottom and hot air out the top
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

MJD291
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby MJD291 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:23 pm

I have the cones welded at the end of my flexpipe. They work great and I have been checked 2 times now and the LEO's didn't have a problem with them. The problem with welding them into your headers is they cannot be seen if you have flexpipe.
I LOVE THE SMELL OF AV GAS IN THE MORNING. IT SMELLS LIKE..... VICTORY

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bruce » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:37 pm

MJD291 wrote:I have the cones welded at the end of my flexpipe. They work great and I have been checked 2 times now and the LEO's didn't have a problem with them. The problem with welding them into your headers is they cannot be seen if you have flexpipe.

and if u dont run flex pipe with em u are a definate target lol trust me
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

UpStAcK0360
Southern Airboat Member

Postby UpStAcK0360 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:19 pm

what exactly are ramhorns? my plan is to have them come up 6 inches turn out, down about 45 deg and tilt torward the prop a bit, is that enough pipe length to not backfire, im also gonna run 3'' dumps as well, total length about 20inches hopefully any heat issues with this plan, its only a 4 cyl also
Outlaw Airboats 321-262-4034

Return to “Airboat Sound”