What time of day to ride?

This one's over, but you can still read about it here.

When do we want to start the ride in Oct?

Morning (9am or so)
15%
Afternoon (3pm or so)
54%
Night (after 6pm)
31%

Total votes: 13

blackpowderscout
Southern Airboat Member

What time of day to ride?

Postby blackpowderscout » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:47 am

What time does everyone want to ride? Morning, Afternoon, or Night or a combo of these?
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

blackpowderscout
Southern Airboat Member

Postby blackpowderscout » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:48 am

I'm voting afternoon but I will be glad to stay and ride that night too if anyone wants.

Adam

NRA Life

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby SwampMatt » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:54 pm

I voted for the afternoon. That way we can get there at sunrise, get lost, stuck, & break down, and still have 9 hours to find the place. :P

If the FAA attendees can't make that like BigDaddy says, well, they can just meet up with us later, and I'm sure there will be several ears listening to hear all about it. Sounds like good campfire material.

It'd be really good to have some sort of flying beacon. We used to take a parachute and put a weather baloon inside it, then some helium and rope. It turned out that that weekend camping in northern Michigan, the Army was on maneuvers out of Camp Grayling, and the choppers used our balloon as marker - circling around it like crazy. It could be seen for miles. At night, we puled it down and tied a coleman lantern to it about 20 feet under the canopy. I think we had 500 feet of rope on it. Does anyone have access to this sort of setup? I have a parachute that used to be nailed to the ceiling of Sloppy Joes.

That's about what it's gonna take to keep me from getting lost!

matt.

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby SwampMatt » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:11 pm

On October 8th:

Sunrise 7:22 AM
Sunset 7:03 PM

Moonrise 12:31 PM
Moonset 10:40 PM
Not quite yet the first quarter. Not much light from there.

So it looks like it'll be a dark night out on the marsh.

Rise & set times for some of the planets:
Venus 10:58 AM 9:18 PM
Mars 8:59 PM 10:21 AM
Jupiter 8:12 AM 7:36 PM
Saturn 2:22 AM 3:48 PM

blackpowderscout
Southern Airboat Member

Postby blackpowderscout » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:11 pm

Mood I'm not sure about the French hot air balloon :P but I am sure that Big Daddy or someone else who is coming after the meeting can lead the others to us. We'll just have to determine our stopping points and estimate our times or....we can use the Redneck Network if it works. It's kinda hit or miss though.

Adam

NRA Life

BigBoom
Southern Airboat Member

Postby BigBoom » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:03 pm

Since there are people attending the FAA meeting and people that are not, why not have two rides. Say one in the morning and then the people that want to stay can ride in the evening also with the people from the FAA meeting.

blackpowderscout
Southern Airboat Member

Postby blackpowderscout » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:36 am

If anyone wants to get there and ride in the morning, have at it. :) The evening will consist of a covered dish dinner so be sure to hang around for the food!!!

Adam

NRA Life

Daddy Dave
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Daddy Dave » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:29 pm

Hey Boomer,

Hope you plan to join us. Time you got that Cadi out of Pasco and Citrus counties. Lots of folks need to see that a DD Cadi can run a little dry ground - if it needs to. Looking forward to seeing you at FAA and the Ride.

BDD
A I R B O A T

Anytime It Runs, Break Out Another Thousand

BigBoom
Southern Airboat Member

Postby BigBoom » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:19 pm

BigDaddy.
I'm planning on it. Trying to get Greg A. to go too. We'll have the Caddys there.

Daddy Dave
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Daddy Dave » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:12 am

SAO FYI: Big Boomer runs a 14' Rivermaster with a DD 500 Cadi and regularly smokes the rest of the "Hunt Boat" class in Citrus RNN meets - drags and agility runs, too. He has a sweet ride - ss rigging, twin seperate rear seats and "dance floor" expanded metal deck in front. His metal works design has inspired me and others - exceptionally clean and functional. The "Greg A." he refers to is MacDaddyCadi - the Man when it comes to DDCs. Great additions to the SAO Ride Crew. Hope they make FAA and the trail ride.
A I R B O A T

Anytime It Runs, Break Out Another Thousand

BigBoom
Southern Airboat Member

Postby BigBoom » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:35 am

BigDaddy,
I have a 15 Rivermaster with polymer. I have the same Caddy motor and prop as Greg, but I do not have the stainless rigging. that's next on the list. I do have another hull with Frogspit. I go everywhere Greg can, I'm just a little slower with the polymer. I was with Greg at the Hernando FAA meeting, parked next to him.

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby SwampMatt » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:11 am

I'm glad you are planning on going BBoom. I'm looking forward to meeting you and meeting your boat.

And a general ride announcement here...
I've found some REALLY good aerial photos of the ride area. I'm working now on getting them put together into mosiac photos. I'll have one large map, and close up photos of the various launch points and stopping points.

The photos were taken on 2/1/2003 and the water level looks pretty low. But LOTS of trails still show.

I'll get them posted ASAP and start a maps thread.

matt.

basketcase0302
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

time to ride?

Postby basketcase0302 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:41 am

Scout,

This is once again not fair!

The poll won't allow me to choose all three!

Basketcase

Aces over 8s
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby Aces over 8s » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:03 pm

moodfood wrote:It'd be really good to have some sort of flying beacon. We used to take a parachute and put a weather baloon inside it, then some helium and rope.
Small Helium tank from Costco or Walmart, ballon's we use for Kite fishing tourny's (there big) and a couple of Ceylum light stick, you pick the color :lol: man you want to freak some people out, this is the way. Then you can let them go an maybe a couple of F-18 could buzz us.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming " what a ride!"

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby SwampMatt » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:25 pm

Light sitcks??!!!?? Heck, if there are f-18's out there, I'll make up a giant tin-foil MIG to hang from the baloon. LOL Free fireworks show!

Well, Scout said right off the bat that we would not need it. After seeing the aerial photos I see why. The milk bus is right on the lake shore, and somewhat high(ish) ground. We ought to be easy to see. Especially with a camfire at night.

But a flying beacon at the end of 200 or 300 feet of rope sure would be fun. (unless there is more than a slight breeze)

How big are your baloons? The weather baloons we used when I was a kid were about 5 or 6 feet in diameter when inflated. I'm not sure one that big would fit into the parachute I have. It's a square 'chute. Or how many small Costco helium bottles it'd take.

Hmmm.... I wonder if para-sailing behind an airboat would work. :shock:

matt.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:08 am

Matt I have never seen anyone parasail behind an airboat but heck if it is something you feel you just have to do then bring a rope. I have the place to tie it off back there we can give it a try. might make some interesting picture in the gallery but we should sell tickets at least. LOL
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Gbenzx
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Gbenzx » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:59 am

Man

You Guys feeling better this morning? :D

Gben
Every 5mins 24/7 Americans defend themselves with what? Click! Click!

Return to “October 8th Run/Meet - Milk Bus on Lake Kissimmee”