PFDs

Site news and announcements.
Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

PFDs

Postby Whitebear » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:28 pm

In view of the most recent tragedy with one of our own drowning in bad weather, what do you Rick, and everyone else think about maybe some RED letters on something that shows on every page of the forum. Just something that is a constant reminder to wear PFDs. We all are too quick to think we can get away with just running over there or across the canal or lake without it. There are some really great inflatable CG approved PFDs now that arent bulky and not hot to wear.

I'm just thinking this might be a good thing to have on the board for all of us. If it reminds even one of us to wear it one time, I think it is probably worth it.

Any commenbts from anybody??

Scotty
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

KR23
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: PFDs

Postby KR23 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:50 pm

It is personnel preferences leave it at that. Red letters is a little ridiculous were all adults and we can make our own decisions, we don’t need reminders from our moderators you already do enough. That is what’s good about being an adult we can do what we want with in the law!
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction"

http://www.performanceairboats.com/Home_Page.html (407)349-1209

Warrior AirCraft Engines: (772)260-4235

Muddyduck
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Muddyduck » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:49 pm

I see signs on the highway all the time to click it or ticket... to remind everyone. Of course, seatbelts are the law, so really not optional. I wonder why PFD's aren't. Not saying I want any more laws telling me what to do, just wondering why this one hasn't been pushed through. As far as the red letters.... I believe we are all still "guests" in Rick's house (even the site supporters), so if he wants pink letters with fairies flying around them, I say his site, his choice! JMO
Many could live on what we have wasted.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:13 pm

Muddy, up here in USCG territory they already are the law. One for every occupant of the boat, and they'll ticket you in a heartbeat (and should) if you don't have them.

In addition, if you're using an inflatable PFD they only count when you have it on and adjusted, unlike a life preserver which can be thrown to someone in the water. It's only a 10 min. run from where I live to a fish camp on the So. end of this lake, but if you check me out I'll have my inflatable on anytime I'm in the boat. I know how long I can swim, and it ain't long enough.

Here's an interesting statistic. Boat US says that nearly 75% of all drownings are around docks. What happens is that someone falls, hits their head, and drowns because they're unconscious. This is the best argument for the automatic inflatable, but I use the other type where you have a small handle to pull to inflate it.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:44 pm

Maybe I did put this post in the wrong place.

Scotty
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby goldhunter_2 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:56 pm

KR23 wrote: Red letters is a little ridiculous

I personally have to agree with that statement .

I grow up on the Bay and spent more time busting ice chasing ducks or what ever and my Dad was a USCG Officer if anyone has ever had the life jacket issue drilled into them it's me, and I admit I know I should wear a jacket but with the exception of when I was racing I just don't wear them to this day. I have gotten better about wearing a float coat when its cold enough and I do require my kids or anyone else to wear jackets even offer them to passengers But its a personal choice to wear them

Rick
Here is a idea maybe would work for SA , I assume this post was spurred by unfortunate recent events where waring a PDF may have made the difference. Stearn's and other companies have light weight submersible inflatable PDFs now witch are still kinda pricey (I know personally that why I have reg jackets on board instead because of price) MAYBE just MAYBE since we have what 3000 members or so that they (Stearns) would cut you a deal on some southern airboat camo (hint hint:) ) inflatable pdfs that the price would be low enough for you to sell in the store and make a little for the site at the same time getting more affordable "nicer high quality " PDFS out there that maybe people would wear at least more often such as night rides..... just a idea

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

nomad41
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby nomad41 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:07 pm

8)
Last edited by nomad41 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nomad41/
Treasurer FAA
Member:FAA, KRVSA ,IRCAA, FSCA

My old boat 14.5x8 Diamondback ,SBC Stroker,2.68 Stinger,Sensenich 82" R
Svcliche@yahoo.com

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:14 pm

I dont care if its red letters or a safety logo or what, it was just a thought. I'm game for some discount inflatables, especially if Rick can get a deal and sell them through the site store with our logo on them, hell yea.

Scotty

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby plumcrazy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:23 pm

well by wearin one your also protecting the people who depend on you 8) but i agree its your own personal choice

RJ
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby RJ » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:57 am

Here's a Stearns float coat I use when in deep water and weather permitting. This is the cheapest I've found, some websites sell them for up to $179. http://txfowlers.com/STEARNS_DUCKS_UNLI ... JACKET.asp

airduds
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby airduds » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:29 am

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. Weak men create hard times.

Return to “Site Related”