Time for a change for the next Florida Governor

Other news of interest to the airboating community.
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Time for a change for the next Florida Governor

Postby digginfool » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:36 am

Marsh Magic Marine wrote:The great thing about this country is we can vote for whoever we want. The burden that goes with that privilege, is making sure we base our decisions off of real facts.

Absolutely. Based on facts, not innuendo. For example:

Marsh Magic Marine wrote:Scott trimmed the devil out of SFWMD which was overdue but then got scared by a bunch of enviro freek push back and slowed down trimming government from what I've seen and greened up a good bit.Now if Scott can get a second term it may give him a chance to do more house cleaning.

Scott did trim SWFWMD and a lot of other state agencies, but what you haven't been made aware of is he has already had to reverse several of those cuts. The prison system being one of the biggest. He has even reopened prisons that he initially had closed.

What are you insinuating here? There is nothing provocative about what happened. Crime rates are falling but the rate of incarceration is increasing and the Department of Corrections has requested reopening the facilities to accommodate the new prisoners. There is a bi-partisan push to alter the way convicts are sentenced in order to alleviate the issue but that's up to the legislature; not the governor.

Marsh Magic Marine wrote:
And thus the origins of the phrase "Looks like a government job. Three people watching, two looking like they're ready to work and one actually doing something." The government is the very essence of inefficiency. Nobody tries because they know they'll never get fired. And don't even get me started about government unions.

I am real careful about judging others before I have done their job or walked in there shoes. Government workers provide me with a safe neighborhood, EMS sercvices, if myself or loved ones are hurt, they even cleared my roadways when the hurricanes hit.

As I pointed out in an earlier post on this thread, there are certain functions that must remain a part of government. Police and fire protection are two of them. In regards to disaster debris removal, nearly every government entity from municipalities, to county and state government, has stand-by contracts with the private sector for that function, as they should. No government agency has any business being in the construction industry nor do they have the capacity to manage such events.

Marsh Magic Marine wrote: They should have been doing drug test long before Scott.

All state workers who have CDL licences have been randomly drug tested for the past ten years. Scott nor Crist had anything to do with this.

Your reply has nothing to do with the statement. While you are correct in your statement (CFR49 has required drug testing of CDL drivers since 1991 - a Federal requirement), drug testing of all people receiving money from the state (workers as well as welfare recipients) was the goal of Gov. Scott and the point of the statement.

Marsh Magic Marine wrote:At one point, he had transferred the shares to his wife. That was done as a revocable trust just before he took office and was perfectly legal, meeting all requirements of Florida law. Ultimately, though, he wanted to ensure there were no conflicts of interest while he held office. The shares were purchased by a private equity firm out of New York (Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe) in April of 2011. That firm already owned 30% of the shares of the company so it was only natural to sell the remaining shares to them.

Two weeks after insisting he was "not involved in that company," Gov. Rick Scott finalized a deal to sell Solantic Inc., the Jacksonville chain of urgent care clinics he founded.

Classic example of the type of innuendo spewed in politics. Do you really think he sold his shares to 'cover his ass' after making that statement? That's the point of the innuendo. Technically, he no longer owned the shares. In addition, it takes quite a bit of time to negotiate a sale that large; the shares were sold for somewhere in the neighborhood of $60 million (rightfully earned by him, long before he became governor and less than market value). He relinquished control before he took office and sold his interest within months of taking office. That's just garbage you quoted right there.

So, back to your original statement, a person's decision on how to vote should be based on facts. That's true. Leave the innuendo to the media-whore mongers. As a college professor used to tell our class, 'do not believe it because I stand here and say it. You must convince yourself.' Good advice for life.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

Waterbugger
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Waterbugger » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:27 pm

Can you put a positive spin on this for Gov Scott?

How much in tax payers dollars did Gov. Scott waste while on the stand for 22 hours pleading the 5th amendment to keep from incriminating himself for falsifying health care records to bill government health care benefits for services that were never rendered. You have to figure Judges wages, Bailiff's wages, Court recorder, States/ District Attorneys, and their staff. Now before you ASSUME I'm voting Christ lets spell ASS U ME so don't ASSUME Christ is a POS too. I did see how you have facts to explain all of Scotts other woe's do you have any information to justify why he could not tell the truth on the stand without incriminating himself. In my simple mind if telling the truth would land you in jail then you ARE a criminal. Just sayin!! They are all POS's if you would all stick together and vote an independent in the message would be sent. Problem is as long as Criminal Scott is doing good for your business you will think he is the Savior whether he's a criminal, of good moral character or NOT. If you are of the good moral character hardworking red blooded flag waving apple pie eating American you paint the picture of then to me it would be difficult to put someone of questionable character in office. JMHO.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:15 pm

Waterbugger wrote:Can you put a positive spin on this for Gov Scott?

How much in tax payers dollars did Gov. Scott waste while on the stand for 22 hours pleading the 5th amendment to keep from incriminating himself for falsifying health care records to bill government health care benefits for services that were never rendered. You have to figure Judges wages, Bailiff's wages, Court recorder, States/ District Attorneys, and their staff. Now before you ASSUME I'm voting Christ lets spell ASS U ME so don't ASSUME Christ is a POS too. I did see how you have facts to explain all of Scotts other woe's do you have any information to justify why he could not tell the truth on the stand without incriminating himself. In my simple mind if telling the truth would land you in jail then you ARE a criminal. Just sayin!! They are all POS's if you would all stick together and vote an independent in the message would be sent. Problem is as long as Criminal Scott is doing good for your business you will think he is the Savior whether he's a criminal, of good moral character or NOT. If you are of the good moral character hardworking red blooded flag waving apple pie eating American you paint the picture of then to me it would be difficult to put someone of questionable character in office. JMHO.

Rick Scott was never questioned during the Federal Govt.'s investigation into the Columbia/HCA fraud case. Depending on the source, he resigned out of frustration because he wanted to fight the charges but the board of directors chose to settle, believing that was the most economical course. Others say he was forced to resign by the board. In any event, the board chose to buy out his contract for $9 million. At the time, he owned nearly $300 million of stock in the company, which is no surprise since he founded it. By settling, it opened an additional investigation that resulted in additional fines, 3 years after Scott had left. Between the two cases in which the board of directors chose to settle rather than fight, the fines totaled over $1.7 billion (as a side note, the largest Medicare fraud ever was against Glaxo Smith-Klien for $2.2 billion). There is no evidence that Rick Scott was privy to any alleged improprieties. However, he has publicly acknowledged the following: "There's no question that mistakes were made and as CEO, I have to accept responsibility for those mistakes. I was focused on lowering costs and making the hospitals more efficient. I could have had more internal and external controls. I learned hard lessons, and I've taken that lesson and it's helped me become a better business person and a better leader."

The case where Scott invoked the 5th 75 times was completely unrelated to the Columbia/HCA event. It was during a deposition in a civil case where Nevada Communications Corp charged that Columbia/HCA had reneged on an advertising contract that existed between the two firms. The lawyers for Nevada Communications began the deposition by asking Scott if he were employed. Scott's lawyer responded with the following: "Under normal circumstances, Mr. Scott would be pleased to answer that question and other questions that you pose today," Scott's lawyer, Steven Steinbach, said. "Unfortunately because of the pendency of a number of criminal investigations relating to Columbia around the country, he's going to follow my advice, out of prudence, to assert his constitutional privilege against giving testimony against himself." He answered each and every question with the same response for the remainder of the deposition. In no way was that event tied to the Columbia/HCA fraud case. So now you have the rest of the story.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

nomad41
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby nomad41 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:51 pm

Well I was wondering when somebody would post the truth about Scotts involvement with HCA. That's why he left. He didn't want to settle. he wanted to fight the charges.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nomad41/
Treasurer FAA
Member:FAA, KRVSA ,IRCAA, FSCA,BAHCC,OAA
http://www.suncoastyachtservices.com
14.5x8 Diamondback ,SBC Stroker,2.68 Stinger,Sensenich 82" R
Svcliche@yahoo.com

wildcard
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby wildcard » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:04 pm

at least SCOTT,does't change partys or wishy, washy, indepent, regulary, I'm with media if you don't know who you are, run anywhere, don't care anymore,no one worth voting for anyway good luck I will vote for someone ???? :shock: :( :( :( :) :rebel:

Waterbugger
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Waterbugger » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:54 pm

Thanks for the info, I used the specifics you stated and followed up on that information. I stand corrected, and I'm not being sarcastic. I still have issues with pleading the 5th though. If you have to plead the fifth regardless of the circumstances you have something to hide. Thanks for the clarification though.

462kwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 462kwells » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:24 pm

I must have missed something when did airboat talk change to political views :scratch:

wildcard
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby wildcard » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:31 pm

I have nothing to hide I'm just saying we have nothing to vote on.as any no real people to vote for they all lie cut appoints nothing but lies the media says what they want ,depending on what their boss wants to say NEWS IS A JOKE BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT THIS IS WHAT ELECTS ASS $$$$$ WE HAVE NO RIGHTS UNDER NO CONDISIONS BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT BUT???:?"?????GOOD LUCK :rebel: :violent1: :slap: :stirpot:

Cmcintosh721
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Cmcintosh721 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:57 pm

The only thing I care about is my gun rights and it seems like every time a democrat gets in office that's the first thing they start on is gun restrictions and if you look at all the states controlled by them blue color officials they have the strictest gun laws in the nation if you don't like your guns take them Yankee asses north don't vote them in this state

Marsh Magic Marine
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Marsh Magic Marine » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:28 pm

digginfool wrote:
Marsh Magic Marine wrote:The great thing about this country is we can vote for whoever we want. The burden that goes with that privilege, is making sure we base our decisions off of real facts.

Absolutely. Based on facts, not innuendo. For example:

Marsh Magic Marine wrote:Scott trimmed the devil out of SFWMD which was overdue but then got scared by a bunch of enviro freek push back and slowed down trimming government from what I've seen and greened up a good bit.Now if Scott can get a second term it may give him a chance to do more house cleaning.

Scott did trim SWFWMD and a lot of other state agencies, but what you haven't been made aware of is he has already had to reverse several of those cuts. The prison system being one of the biggest. He has even reopened prisons that he initially had closed.

What are you insinuating here? There is nothing provocative about what happened. Crime rates are falling but the rate of incarceration is increasing and the Department of Corrections has requested reopening the facilities to accommodate the new prisoners. There is a bi-partisan push to alter the way convicts are sentenced in order to alleviate the issue but that's up to the legislature; not the governor.

Marsh Magic Marine wrote:
And thus the origins of the phrase "Looks like a government job. Three people watching, two looking like they're ready to work and one actually doing something." The government is the very essence of inefficiency. Nobody tries because they know they'll never get fired. And don't even get me started about government unions.

I am real careful about judging others before I have done their job or walked in there shoes. Government workers provide me with a safe neighborhood, EMS sercvices, if myself or loved ones are hurt, they even cleared my roadways when the hurricanes hit.

As I pointed out in an earlier post on this thread, there are certain functions that must remain a part of government. Police and fire protection are two of them. In regards to disaster debris removal, nearly every government entity from municipalities, to county and state government, has stand-by contracts with the private sector for that function, as they should. No government agency has any business being in the construction industry nor do they have the capacity to manage such events.

Marsh Magic Marine wrote: They should have been doing drug test long before Scott.

All state workers who have CDL licences have been randomly drug tested for the past ten years. Scott nor Crist had anything to do with this.

Your reply has nothing to do with the statement. While you are correct in your statement (CFR49 has required drug testing of CDL drivers since 1991 - a Federal requirement), drug testing of all people receiving money from the state (workers as well as welfare recipients) was the goal of Gov. Scott and the point of the statement.

Marsh Magic Marine wrote:At one point, he had transferred the shares to his wife. That was done as a revocable trust just before he took office and was perfectly legal, meeting all requirements of Florida law. Ultimately, though, he wanted to ensure there were no conflicts of interest while he held office. The shares were purchased by a private equity firm out of New York (Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe) in April of 2011. That firm already owned 30% of the shares of the company so it was only natural to sell the remaining shares to them.

Two weeks after insisting he was "not involved in that company," Gov. Rick Scott finalized a deal to sell Solantic Inc., the Jacksonville chain of urgent care clinics he founded.

Classic example of the type of innuendo spewed in politics. Do you really think he sold his shares to 'cover his ass' after making that statement? That's the point of the innuendo. Technically, he no longer owned the shares. In addition, it takes quite a bit of time to negotiate a sale that large; the shares were sold for somewhere in the neighborhood of $60 million (rightfully earned by him, long before he became governor and less than market value). He relinquished control before he took office and sold his interest within months of taking office. That's just garbage you quoted right there.

So, back to your original statement, a person's decision on how to vote should be based on facts. That's true. Leave the innuendo to the media-whore mongers. As a college professor used to tell our class, 'do not believe it because I stand here and say it. You must convince yourself.' Good advice for life.

Absolutely. Based on facts, not innuendo.

Everyone has their opinions just as I have mine. I am not interested in debating or trying to make someone feel bad about their convictions. As a matter of fact I voted for Rick Scott. That doesn't mean I have to like or agree with everything he does or stands for.

What are you insinuating here? There is nothing provocative about what happened. Crime rates are falling but the rate of incarceration is increasing and the Department of Corrections has requested reopening the facilities to accommodate the new prisoners. There is a bi-partisan push to alter the way convicts are sentenced in order to alleviate the issue but that's up to the legislature; not the governor

I wasn't insinuating anything. Facts are Gov. Scott recruited and hired the most sought after Corrections guru (Edwin G. Buss) in the nation.
Edwin made recommendations to the Gov Scott about not closing certain prisons because of the cost effectiveness. The Gov. chose not to listen to these recommendations and had them closed anyway. Secretary Buss resigned 7 months later after realizing the Gov was not interested in listening to facts. Since then just as Secretary Buss predicted the prisons had to be reopened. This could have all been avoided if Gov Scott had allowed the man to just do his job. The prisons being reopened have nothing to do with incarceration rates but rather the fact that privatization of the prisons were not cost effective in this instance.

You are totally correct in the fact that most all governments have stand by contracts for disaster debris removal. But the facts are that anytime there is a storm threat, the Florida Department of Transportation positions debris crews ( made up of state employees) near the landfall areas and immediately begin what they call first push. First push involves opening just the roadway area so emergency vehicles can get in to affected areas and help the citizens.
As far as the no government agency needing to be in the construction industry. The partnership between Florida Department of Transportation and its Roadway and Bridge contractors seems to be working pretty well as Florida roads are ranked the second best in the nation behind Texas. Also on that note, Florida's bridges are ranked as the best condition in the nation.

My statement was just to show that the state did have some sort of drug testing program. Facts also show the cost of drug testing is sometimes cost prohibitive. Do we really think the state work force is that full of druggies? Until i read the cost and benefit analysis I will say I was very in favor of drug testing welfare recipients.

Facts
From July through October in Florida — the four months when drug testing took place before Judge Scriven’s order — 2.6 percent of the state’s cash assistance applicants failed the drug test, or 108 of 4,086, according to the figures from the state obtained by the group. The most common reason was marijuana use. An additional 40 people canceled the tests without taking them.

Because the Florida law requires that applicants who pass the test be reimbursed for the cost, an average of $30, the cost to the state was $118,140.

As a result, the testing cost the government an extra $45,780 more than it would have paid out in benefits to the people who failed the test.

At some point someone we have to decide if it is the cost effective thing to do.

So, back to your original statement, a person's decision on how to vote should be based on facts. That's true. Leave the innuendo to the media-whore mongers. As a college professor used to tell our class, 'do not believe it because I stand here and say it. You must convince yourself.' Good advice for life.[/quote]

Maybe I'm just to much of a common sense type guy. If you asked me if I had sold my house (or business)and I was two weeks from closing, I'd probably say not yet. But that's just me and I never knew once we get to a certain monetary level in life, we could have different rules to play by.

As far as your college professor, he sounds like an intelligent gentleman. I will heed his advise and continue do my own research so I can convince myself.
Last edited by Marsh Magic Marine on Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:54 pm

I'm not going to quote because this post will end up being 3 pages by itself. Instead, I will answer your rebuttal, point by point.

You state the prisons are being re-opened because privatization is too expensive? Are you for real? Why would we need more cells if it was true that the privatization of the prison system was too expensive? Wouldn't it make more sense to put these so-called uber-efficient state workers back in? Horse hockey. Give it up.

Disaster debris removal. You are only partially correct. While it is true that the government will muster any assets they have to assist, it is the disaster debris removal contractors who bear the vast majority of the burden. The company I own happens to be part of a disaster debris removal team and I have first hand knowledge of how it works. You apparently have only a rudimentary understanding of the process. In addition to that, what point are you trying to make regarding the condition of Florida highways and bridges? FDOT does not build anything. That work is contracted out to the private sector. You can attribute the condition of our roadways to the fact that Florida has one of the highest fuel taxes in the nation. The last time I checked, $0.28225 for gas and $0.313 for diesel of every gallon is for road use tax. Plus, each county adds on to that, hitting as high as $0.35245 per gallon. Florida also has one of the highest vehicle registration rates in the nation. I pay $1,350.00 per year for each of the 13 heavy vehicles that I register to operate on Florida roads, not counting the FHUT. Again, you misrepresent the facts.

If drug testing is nearly mandatory in the private sector in order to afford reasonable W/C and GL rates, (you have to be a Drug Free Workplace in order to get the lowest available rates, and that's an oxymoron), there's a damn good reason for it; drug free workplaces have less accidents and less crime. If good enough for the taxpayers, good enough for the people being paid by the taxpayers, including the generations of baby-puking, professional couch potatoes.

Maybe you voted for Scott the first time around, maybe not, but you certainly have bought into the Leftist driven media drivel being broadcast in your town.

Marsh Magic Marine
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Marsh Magic Marine » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:18 pm

Ok digginfool,

I can see you are an expert on most every subject in the world, so I'll bow to 426kwells observation and I'll let the forum get back to being about airboats.

By the way I have never insinuated you were dishonest in anyway, and will end our conversation at this point because you seem to feel the need to insinuate that I am. I said I voted for Rick Scott and I did!

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:21 pm

Marsh Magic Marine wrote:Ok digginfool,

I can see you are an expert on most every subject in the world

My wife hates me for the same reason. :lol:

ZoomZoom
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ZoomZoom » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:33 am

("DF" just a little sobriquet)Your defense of Gov. Scott is a sequence of pedantic language and a distinctions without a difference. Gov. Scott was the captain of his ship with his hand on the tiller, he steered it in the direction he wanted it to go, and when caught out of bounds he said it's not my fault, my minions did it. As Capt. you don't get to shirk that responsibility. He ended up lucky for him as many on Wall Street who only paid large fines with no jail terms. But his action and others cost this country much, mostly ordinary citizens. Also it's my understanding that his current time in office Rick Scott is try to selloff as much public land as he can, you know the land a lot of us use to ride on in our boats. He can remain your knight in shining armor, but a lot of Florida citizens do not hold him in high esteem, and I'm one of them.

Enclosing your mantra or anthem by Batiste is pure gibberish, whose plundering, what are they plundering, when they plundering, who are they plundering (nothing declarative) in the second half of men sleeping with men the only place that I know that occurs is in our military. You aren't against our military are you?

If you want to quote a philosopher; you might try John Paul Serta or Siegfried Sassoon, they are more relevant to human's endeavor. I'm sure that my position will give you plenty to harangue and disagree with, so be it. Zoom

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:35 pm

ZoomZoom wrote:("DF" just a little sobriquet)Your defense of Gov. Scott is a sequence of pedantic language and a distinctions without a difference. Gov. Scott was the captain of his ship with his hand on the tiller, he steered it in the direction he wanted it to go, and when caught out of bounds he said it's not my fault, my minions did it. As Capt. you don't get to shirk that responsibility. He ended up lucky for him as many on Wall Street who only paid large fines with no jail terms. But his action and others cost this country much, mostly ordinary citizens. Also it's my understanding that his current time in office Rick Scott is try to selloff as much public land as he can, you know the land a lot of us use to ride on in our boats. He can remain your knight in shining armor, but a lot of Florida citizens do not hold him in high esteem, and I'm one of them.

Enclosing your mantra or anthem by Batiste is pure gibberish, whose plundering, what are they plundering, when they plundering, who are they plundering (nothing declarative) in the second half of men sleeping with men the only place that I know that occurs is in our military. You aren't against our military are you?

If you want to quote a philosopher; you might try John Paul Serta or Siegfried Sassoon, they are more relevant to human's endeavor. I'm sure that my position will give you plenty to harangue and disagree with, so be it. Zoom

Oh, you are so eloquent. Where did you come up with such big words? Did you use a thesaurus or a dictionary? A mental monster like you probably used both. At least this time you aren't hiding behind a PM to express your disdain for my signature. By the way, if you haven't caught on yet, being my signature, the quote is included in each and every post I make. Just thought I'd point that out to you. Also, the name is Bastiat. Batiste is a fine linen used in handkerchiefs. You might use one to wipe the snot from your nose while you try to remember where your crayons are.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:46 pm

I can't vote for Rick Scott again he is to shady!

The public sector folks work hard at jobs that don't pay a lot of money.

Cops teachers firemen are good folks and need us to stand with them!

IF YOU CAN READ THIS THANK A TEACHER!

Return to “Other Important News”