is it time to talk about the Feb. run yet?

Planning for the February Meet/Run takes place here.
Croc1
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Croc1 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:49 pm

just want to mention the glades is coral rock bottom for those without polymer I havent run airboats down there in 30 years so I dont know about what its like in 3a cuz there wasnt one that I knew of or whats changed. But the offroad trails I have ridden lately are still coral rock. I dont know if its a factor or not

airboat4fun
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby airboat4fun » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:19 am

You guys should have nothing to worry about, there is plenty of water and the trails are well used. Be very careful when crossing deep water canals, the bass boats can rip down the canal over 70 MPH and have no idea the airboats are crossing.
The rocks are mainly on the south side near the tamiami trail (especially south of the trail). Before polymer was used, some of the old timers used to wrap a sheet of stainless steel on the bottom of the aluminum grass hulls. It added some weight and later the was problems with electrolysis (corrosion from dis-similar metals), but the protection was priceless.

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby SwampMatt » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:37 am

In the chat last night I think it was decided (for now at least) that the most logical & central place to meet is the mm35 ramp (The Ramp-o-rama super-plex)

WIth the FAA meeting and the wedding.... it'll be an impressive sight for sure!

We ought to meet there mid-morning, and stay out of the FAA's hair. While they are having the meeting, we can go off on a little bit of riding.... and when the meeting breaks, we'll use Nextel to get in contact and decide on what to do at that point.

All subject to change. That is the plan for now.

matt.

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:02 pm

Folks,

The FAA is meeting at Mile Marker 35.
If you want to stay for the 10 am FAA meeting, feel free to. If you want to ride, have at it, just try to keep the sound down at the landing during the meeting. If you want to RSVP for the lunch ($6-8 ) that Broward is hosting for us, please contact me at gatorstick@aol.com so we have a head count for the Broward club.
I think we will break for lunch (or better yet, be done) around 1 pm. If ya'll are in early and ride the morning, you can come back & have lunch with the FAA group and get filled in on events and meet/speak with our guests.
Whatever floats your boat.....................
PW

VIPs
Lobbyist Bonnie & Dustin Basham
Writer from Florida Sportsman. Could have other media.........
FWC Commisioneers?
Has anyone invited their House or Senate

Tim Bryson
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Tim Bryson » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:22 pm

You guys make my me Jealous about how you can run all year round in some pretty nice weather. The weather today in Fremont NE was 57 but we have a law in Nebraska on the Platte River in our area you can not run a airboat from October 15 to Jan 15. For the migration of Geese and waterfowl.

Thats why for us we love reading the articles and reading this web site so it keeps us all in good mood when it is -20 and you guys are running airboats down south with a light jackets on.

Have fun

Tim Bryson
Fremont, Ne
Bryson's Airboat Tours

Davie GSO480
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Davie GSO480 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:02 pm

Some of the common meeting areas are, the "swimming hole". which is on the westerly L28 canal, west of the large antenna you will see, or in front of a camp called the Hilton Head......
Proud member of the Airboat Association of Florida.
A Miami Landmark sense 1951
http://www.aaof.com

big feather

Postby big feather » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:23 pm

Tim, I know about seasonal restrictions. One of the biggest reasons why the ski areas out West close when they do in the Spring is so that folks in big numbers won't be there to interfere with the Elk migration. It has nothing to do with there not being enough snow.

Start a quarter jar for next Winter, and then fly down and ride with us. You don't need a boat ..... there are seats aplenty down here, and we'd love to have ya.

BF

airboat4fun
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

safety

Postby airboat4fun » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:30 am

What we have left of the Everglades Conservation Areas covers over 670,000 acres in 3 counties.
The faa, broward county airboat club, southern airboat and a wedding party will all be trying to enjoy "Floridas one and only-River of Grass".
Due to apparent scheduling conflicts ALL of these things are going to be on the same day, and now it looks like everyone is going to be in the same place (mm35) at the same time (12-1:30).
While there is plenty of parking at "The Ramp-o-rama super-plex" there is only 1 MAIN TRAIL to get into and out of the South side. The first couple hundred yards are very narrow and winding with limited visibility. I have had several close calls and 2 friends of mine have been involved in 3 seperate crashes. One ended up sinking both airboats and sending 2 teens to the hospital.
These happened with regular boat traffic on any given weekend.
On Feb.4,2006 there will be alot more traffic than usual, with all the airboats and people who aren't familair with the area, combined with a narrow trail to the boat ramp, I am now a little worried about SAFETY.

AirboatRN
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby AirboatRN » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:58 am

Randy, I'm with ya on the SAFETY issue! Maybe we could coordinate times around the wedding and FAA meeting, so that everything will not be at the same time?

I don't know about everyone else, but I wouldn't mind meeting earlier in the day. Maybe we could avoid some of the heaviest traffic that way.

Ideas, anyone?
Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

Laura.

airboat4fun
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby airboat4fun » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:30 am

the way I understand it is the faa want to let out about noon-1 and the wedding is supposed to be at 1:30. There will be several trips before the wedding to get set up and to get the guests out and afterwards everything and everybody has to be brought back in.

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby SwampMatt » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:15 pm

I agree about the safety issues. And one thing about getting out on the airboat is that it gets me AWAY from traffic!!!!! :)

It was suggested that the camp Everglades Hilton is a sort of gathering spot. Sounds sort of like the catfish pond of the everglades. But I looked it up by the GPS numbers, and it's a LONG way south.... in dade county.

Is there another camp OUT OF THE WAY, (but closer to the Alley) where the non-wedding, non-FAA folks can meet up? I don't think it's like we're going to invade someone's camp and make ourselves at home... just a beach where we can hang out till we all get there and then go off on a ride.

I'm thinking more and more about just asking the campers from Holiday to come on over to Duck Camp, and when the FAA meeting breaks, we can go see the microwave tower and other sights along the western edge of 3a. And Duck camp looks like a good launch point for that ride.

What do y'all say? Meet at Duck by 11 in the morning? Take a break and then an afternoon ride to the west side or wherever the wind may blow? Larry - we need your help and advice on this one!

I'm with you Randy on the congestion. I can stay away from the mm35 area without a problem!

matt.

airboat4fun
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby airboat4fun » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:31 pm

I would like to run into you guys out there, but I don't want it to be head on in a narrow trail.

basketcase0302
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby basketcase0302 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:41 pm

Mood,

Kinda in agreement with stayin' out of the FAA's hair! When you see all the bass boats in the main canals that make you get down off of plane you'll know why I don't want to be near there!

Larry, is it ok that we head to Duck early Sat morning to pitch a tent and then possibly have other members meet us at Hawk? (A little closer to the East for those takin' the long way).

Airboat 4fun, the wedding's not at Hawk or Duck is it?

Basketcase/Jeff

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:43 pm

I knew we shouda planned it another weekend sounds like tis is gonna be a circle jerk for sure. I beleive I will stay awasy from mm35 ramp maybe go to mm41 ramp but 35 is not gonna happen. if the canals are full of bass boats it doesn't seem meeting on a canal is a good idea at all. some reason why we need a canal. If FAA wants us they kbow where to find us why worry about them or broward club who still doesn't know where they will ride. Hello anyone home this aint workin out too good.
piss poor planning results in piss poor performance.
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby SwampMatt » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:54 pm

cntry - You & I are cast from the same mold on this one. However.... It's working out. That's why I was all vocal a week ago about getting it figured out. There is no real single captain of this ship... (this month's ride) so it's up to us to figure it out. And we're talking out the details. I was worried all the talk would not begin until the week before the event.

Randy - Right on! I want to run into you... but not head on. If that did happen, You have a grass rake, I dont. You'd be forced to say... "Hey! Stop hitting my grass rake with your face!!" LOL

Basketcase - That's the best idea yet.... Meet at Hawk Camp... Hawk is a nice ride from the mm35 ramp as well as from Holiday park. A good central place to work out of. provided permission, of course.

The wedding is at Picnic Island. I've not punched in those GPS #'s yet, but that is another place I'd like to avoid - out of courtesy.

FAA - Don't take this the wrong way. Lauren, we love the FAA. But we just want to stay out of YOUR way, so you can get to business that benefits US. It's a compliment, not a shrug-off. When the meeting is over, put the word out on the Nextel network. We'll know where you are, and let you know where we are. It's all about ridin' - and we'll ALL do some ridin' to link up.

I'll have some pretty good maps in another day or two. Including GPS numbers and names of places. When I get the first draft posted, I hope you guys down there take a look at it, and offer some constructive criticism and I'll make the modifications. I may even have time to order some poster size prints before the run.

matt.

Tim Bryson
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Tim Bryson » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:19 pm

Hey Big Feather,

I might take you up on that sometime. It sounds like there is something going on every month down there.

I own three business's so it is hard to get away.

Would there be room on a boat for my wife and I? My wife is into airboating as much as I am.

We would love to see some different airboating sights.

Tim Bryson
Bryson's Airboat Tours
Fremont, NE

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:27 pm

Tim I aint big feather but yepper there is always room somewhere for visitors. It's one of of those silly southern things LOL come on down
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Tim Bryson
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Tim Bryson » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:34 pm

So what part of the south are you all from. Sounds like it would be a great time.

Tim

AirboatRN
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby AirboatRN » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:25 am

Tim - you can check the link at the top for "Frapper Map". It will tell you where almost everyone is from. And you can put yourself on there, too. I know that you'd be welcome down here anytime you can make it, and we'd all be happy to show ya some Southern Hospitality! Southern Airboat Hospitality.....

:sunny:
Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

Laura.

Dakota
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby Dakota » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:38 am

Wow what a big mess. Not knocking but it would have been nice to know about all of this before now. Like where the wedding was going to be and all of that. As far as the FAA is concerned, we will be at the meeting but I know myself, we will be meeting up with the SAO family and ride with them. I am not knocking the FAA either but I am a little disappointed in the fact it took them so long to decide where they wanted to do this and all of that. There are some things that are still not figured out yet. They have known where they were going to be 3 months ago at the other meeting but I am hoping more people getting involved and volunteering will help this out. It will all work out some way.
www.dakotasphotography.com

Tim Bryson
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Tim Bryson » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:22 pm

airborn, do you drive the boat?

My wife used to drive the old boat it was a 15ft , now I have a tour boat that is 21ft she is going to attempt to drive this year. My wife is a little gear head she loves airboating.

Tim Bryson

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby SwampMatt » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:48 pm

Tim, Yep. She drives the boat. :) It makes me feel like a celebrity having my own "driver". LOL Really, I like NOT driving many times because I can watch the motor, see more scenery, play with the GPS.... and just have a different sort of fun.

Laura is a motor head for sure! She loves the sound of an unmuffled V8 and will NEVER complain about the sound an airboat makes! In fact, out on Pawpaw mound, we saw a airboat go by, and she said "We GOTTA get one of those!" and the rest is history. We were BOTH hooked after that.

matt & laura.

Tim Bryson
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Tim Bryson » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:34 pm

Yes, we are lucky to have the woman in our lives that share the same pasions we do.

Have fun and stay safe.

Tim Bryson

stan
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby stan » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:07 pm

well it's gittin close. Really looking forward to the ride, ole southern style acts like she's goin to pull through after her little head ache ,but we'll see. just need to know the meeting place , gps numbers would work, smoke signal or scent trail (maybe).

wade
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby wade » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:25 pm

Stan, was the head problem a common one, should I look for something in particular on my Caddy. What did you have to do to getter right again. GOOD LUCK on the fix :D

Return to “February Meet/Run (what'll we call it?)”