FAA meeting / SA run

Planning for the February Meet/Run takes place here.

should we plan a different ride location

yes
43%
no
57%

Total votes: 23

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:28 pm

They said all that was available was tent areas so we gonna rough it in the tents with air mattresses. I was gonna bring the motor home but have to load up boat each time so that is a pain. The store there is open 24 hrs and gas is right down the road and they have showers and so it was a big hit with the ladies. I didnt like leaving my truck at a baot ramp for days and the 35mm ramp has security but that is the FAA site and the 41mm ramp has no security and that was not a good option in my view. so we gonna rough it in the tents at holiday park. The RV is ok when you can launch once and retrieve once for a weekend and it is a must in the summer when it is hot LOL I do love my a/c on a hot buggy night. I guess the park is not really ready for the kareoke machine so that may not be on the agenda.
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby SwampMatt » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:05 am

cntry141iq wrote:I guess the park is not really ready for the kareoke machine so that may not be on the agenda.

You're dang right! NO place is ready for that Kareoke machine!!!!

I loved having it there at the bus at New Years. And I was not ready for it then either! I'll never be ready for that thing! But I'll always grin when I see a kareoke machine set up and turned up in the middle of a swamp.

:)

basketcase0302
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

feb run

Postby basketcase0302 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:18 am

Mood,

Agreed with the kareoke thing, (although Stans recording of Dakota singing the blues might be worth something when she makes the "big time") :lol:

Wouldn't fret about the security at the ramp, (we can always move the trucks to 35 after the FAA gig if anyone is concerned). Decision to launch at 41 mm was due to the short ride to Duck with camping gear.

Traffic down here is real bad with ALL the snowbirds in the whole world here in Collier County now! S.W. Florida regional fair starts here this Friday night so avoid Immokalee Road, (C.R. 858 I think on a map).

Basketcase/Jeff

CaneFan
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby CaneFan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:13 am

Country I'm sure you'll have a ball this weekend, but I'd be surprised if the camping at Holiday was the highlight. It won't be quite like roughing it smoothly.
If you have some flip flops I'd suggest bringing them and wearing them in the showers. I'm not a neat freak or a germaphobe but I know the difference between clean and dirty.
I enjoyed my stay at Holiday Park don't get me wrong. When the wind was out of the north we could hear the ride boats all day long at the job site and enjoyed many a cool one down by the ramp in the evenings. If I remember correctly Fri. night was bike night and the had live music and food for that. I liked seeing the bikes and the characters riding them. With the fairs and carnivals making their yearly winter swings to the south your sure to have company in the tent area. As I recall a very lively bunch who enjoy bon fires, very large bon fires.
There were allot of Peacocks roaming the property when I was there too. I had no idea what a Peacock call sounded like, but I'll never mistake it for a Skunk Ape or prelude to a horrible car crash again. A large population of Racoon's too so keep your stores secure and trash hauled off.
Did I mention the bears.............
"You've gotta be tuff if your gonna be stupid."-Cowboy
"A lazy man will work himself to death."-Grandpa Symons

Dakota
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby Dakota » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:35 am

I am not ready for the karoke machine either. I had fun with it and thought it was cool to have our there in the middle of no where but I think I have had my fill of that thing. :D
www.dakotasphotography.com

big feather

Postby big feather » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:01 am

Dakota, that's not what we hear ..... we heard you really got into it :lol: . Just kiddin, Lady.

BF

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby SwampMatt » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:48 am

Woods Pussy wrote:It won't be quite like roughing it smoothly.

I'm not sure what that sentence means.... but I like that phrase "roughing it smoothly"!!!

And I truly hope to see that Kareoke machine "out there" again someday!

matt.

CaneFan
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby CaneFan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:56 pm

"Roughing it smoothly" is a term our momma used to use to describe staying at a Holiday Inn. With 7 children in the family however we never saw the inside of any Holiday Inn's. When we traveled we roughed it roughly....., or roughtly roughed it,...... or whatever, it was never the Holiday Inn.
Geez Mood, I got a bit spun up there at the end of the translation. No offense man.
"You've gotta be tuff if your gonna be stupid."-Cowboy

"A lazy man will work himself to death."-Grandpa Symons

basketcase0302
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Glades run

Postby basketcase0302 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:01 pm

Woods Pussy,

I gotta tell ya that Cntry aint' "skeered" easily, ('specially' by some circus freaks or bears)! I think he said he was gonna clear the camp for breakfast Sunday morning for us, (just not sure how)!

I got some neighbors with peacocks, (I think it would break my sound meter from 50 feet in any attempt to measure the sound of em')!

Just heard this morning that the toll on Alligator Alley will increase from $1.50 a car to $2.50 a car this Sunday morning, (I think they charge you another dollar an axle after that). Bring lots of quarters or take S.R. 29 like we do to get to the "Alley'. Weatherman over here is callin for a little rain possible Saturday night.

Basketcase/Jeff

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:45 pm

got a cold front comin through friday night into sat. looks like rain late friday night early sat morn before sunrise until around 8 or 9 according to doppler predictor BUT WHADDA THEY KNOW
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

swampjet
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby swampjet » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:06 pm

Whose job is it to take care of the weather? GEEZ! :lol:
Another Day in Paradise

big feather

Postby big feather » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:08 am

I know Robert, just when we thought Cntry was on top of his game he goes and muffs it again ...... :? .

BF

swampjet
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby swampjet » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:15 am

I think his job is BREAKFAST :lol:
Another Day in Paradise

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:14 pm

Look guys I had the weather thing all figured out and turned it over to basket for the final days and look what happened. LOL oh well it is hard to get good help these days and then they wanna get paid geez go figure.

Now as for breakfast ... If the froggin is good enough I will have a pot of grease ready at holiday for sun morning breakfast of eggs and leggs. Now if the froggin is not any good well we will have to improvise somehow but that should not be hard to do. basically ya'll bring it on and we will have a fire to cook it on.

I am gonna leave around 1 on sunday if possible so as to get home for the super duper bowl.

twas the night before the run and all through the glades not a frog was croakin

for they knew southern airboat was comin and soon they would be chokin
on shiny steel points placed at the end of fiberglass spears

just after dark there came such a clatter it was airboats awash with flour batter

on mood, on basket, on swampjet, on stan, on country and all the others in search of the golden eyed treasures such mouthwatering morsels.

for to have anything else for breakfast just wont do ... might as well eat an old shoe.

ok I give up I never said I was a poet anyways

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby SwampMatt » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:18 pm

That's a good one cntry! I can just see that PBS guy, sitting in his hi-back chair, smoking a pipe, and with book on lap, reading that great poem!!!!

Looking forward to them legs-n-eggs!

matt.

basketcase0302
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

weather

Postby basketcase0302 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:36 pm

Swampjet,

It was my job indeed to take care of the weather, (that's why I asked for the rain was to keep the skeeters down)!

Cntry, Don't quit your day job :D

Basketcase/Jeff

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby SwampMatt » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:40 pm

Well, we made it back from the south.... after a planned extended stay @ side trip to the Keys. I have to say that I love it so much down there.... I really want to move there. And I think I will. ;)

I must offer a thanks from the bottom of my heart to one of the most interesting CHARACTERS I've ever met.... Larry's Dad - Gordon. Gordon - if you get this...... YOU ROCK! I'm so jealous of Larry for having you as part of his family! If I can't be related to you, I'll be proud as I can to call you a friend. I could listen to your stories for YEARS. I want to return and help you haul and build over at Hawk. But most of all, thanks for your amazing and most gracious hospitality. I know a class act when I see one.... and brother, you are IT. Proud to know ya, Gordon & Larry.

We stayed overnight after everyone left. The generator was silent, and the marsh was alive. It was superbowl sunday, and I think Laura and I were the only two human beings out in the everglades. It was like a booster shot for my soul. I could easily become addicted to that life, leaving the camp only to take care of business, shopping and to vote. City Life... Leave it all behind? You would not have to ask me twice!!!! I'm there!!!

Yes it was raining on Saturday. It was a light drizzle when we left the ramp, and after 5 minutes, became a hard downpour. I had pretty good raingear, but I did not button/snap/zip it right, and got soaked to the bone in chilly coldfront rain. I thought to myself.... "Self, you can be miserable or not." I voted for "not" and had fun with the challenge of how to dry everything out. Everything in the boat was soaked including clothes and sleeping bags. I won the challenge, a warm fire and creative use of clothes lines had everything dry within 18 hours. Cntry - I noticed some dryers in a laundrymat at Holiday... Were you out of quarters? LOL

The weather made a turn for the better around sunset on saturday night. And I never saw such beautiful sights on Sunday and Monday. The "moodmobile" performed better than expected in those waters AND LANDS. And apart from some scratches in the slickbottom, has come from the glades a better boat.... we are now froggers! Thanks cntry for parting with one of your old frogging poles and a lamp. I took Laura out Sunday night and we saw a few... and she got one. (our first) which we decided to feed to a baby gator. I still need some practice.... but I had such a good time - that practice time will come for sure! Cntry. Thanks for opening a door (months ago when you took us out and showed us froggin') and then for shoving us thru the door by getting us started on the right equipment. I know I'll be buying some more froggin' gear REAL soon.... both Laura and I are hooked.... (or should that be gigged?)

Late on Monday afternoon, Laura and I loaded up our boat and headed back. It was no problem finding the right trail.... Laura had the GPS in the backseat - I was following my instincts. Both agreed and we drove straight ot the ramp. Well, not straight to it.... we did see a "Seahawks" helium balloon sitting in the water, and some stray beer bottles floating upside down. We stopped to "leave it a better place than when we found it" as was the case with the camp. We left a little food, and took a little trash from there too.

We left our boat at Pete's house for the night and drove on down to Islamorada for a day. It was fun, warm, and beautiful there too! After returning to Davie to get our boat, we headed for the nearest bed we could find.... which was Laura's "work house" in Winter Haven.... a good night's sleep and we meandered home to orlando this afternoon.

What a fun trip!!! I can't wait to do it again!

Thanks FAA, Broward Club, and Southern Airboat. And thanks to all our good friends and our new friends too. We had the times of our lives out there the last few days!!!!

Life is Good!

matt & laura.

woodswoman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby woodswoman » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:01 pm

Mood and Laura sounds like you had an awesome adventure. So glad you all enjoyed yourselves. I can really relate to the renewing of the soul to be alone and stand with nature. That is really living! That is my idea of living. Thanks for sharing this post.

Return to “February Meet/Run (what'll we call it?)”