June Orange Lake ride

Make plans for June here.
Skeeter
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

June Orange Lake ride

Postby Skeeter » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:41 am

We will be meeting at Sportsman Cove on Orange Lake around 9:00am and leaving at 10:00am sharp for our day ride on the 24th.Seminole,Citrus,United Sportsman Airboat Clubs will be there.All invited.

hogskinr
Southern Airboat Member

orange lake ride

Postby hogskinr » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:22 pm

i attemepted to ride trails on orange lake and right arm marsh 80 percent of trails are dry and ormud can most boats going run dry

stan
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby stan » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:01 pm

I'm in at cross creek lodge the 23rd and 24th.goin to meet some lake county boats sady morning at the boat ramp in cross creek around 9:30. May I assume that sportsman cove is across the lake about four miles from cross creek?

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:09 pm

Stan, it's just off Hwy. 441 at McIntosh, right across the lake from Cross Creek. The rain we're gonna get the next couple of days will help a lot, but there's plenty of water in both Orange and Lockloosa. It's a great place to ride.

stan
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby stan » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:04 pm

thanks olf art .gonna try and put in at cross creek and meet up across the lake it may or maynot work out we'll see .This rain may help out 'from hogskinr's post it sounds like it needs it.

Skeeter
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Skeeter » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:06 pm

Stan,glad to hear you got in at Cross Creek, we will be there afternoon of the 23rd.See ya then.We will all team up and ride to Sportsmans Cove together Saturday morning.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:15 pm

Cross Creek is beautiful. You'll want to try the prime rib at 'The Yearling' restuarant on Friday or Saturday night.
These two lakes are spring fed so the marsh may get a little low at times, but they always have plenty of water in them. Lots of frogs and speckled perch too.
You'll have a good time.

Skeeter
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Skeeter » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:23 pm

Sounds great, steak and frogs. :DShould be good weekend,we will have several boats attending.Seminole County has all cabins booked at Cross Creek Lodge.

hogskinr
Southern Airboat Member

Postby hogskinr » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:35 pm

hey guys we usally put in at the barn on lake lachloosa or some people call it the fishing pier if some of yall want to pre run before the 24 let me know it takes about 1o minutes to get there from my front door in ft mccoy i dont have any extra rooms at the house but there are places to camp around or you could use the front yard

Skeeter
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Skeeter » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:48 pm

My group will be there early afternoon on the 23rd. We would like to pre ride. Also do some frogging Fri and Sat nights.Also can we get AV gas close by or should we bring it?

hogskinr
Southern Airboat Member

Postby hogskinr » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:53 pm

i would have to check on the closest place to buy it and let you know may be ill know something buy tonite forgive me but im a110 octane car motor guy

Skeeter
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Skeeter » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:59 pm

Hogskinr,I would like to check out the route we will need to run to get to Sportsman Cove Saturday morning.Just so I know where to take everyone.We are staying at Cross Creek Lodge.

hogskinr
Southern Airboat Member

Postby hogskinr » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:23 pm

seeter impretty sure sportsmans cove is on the north west side of orange lake

bandit9077
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

orange lake ride

Postby bandit9077 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:32 pm

can anybody help with some phone numbers on where we might find a cabin or room?? i know, we are late as usual! but if we weren,t who would you pick on thanks bill

Skeeter
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Skeeter » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:45 pm

Sportsmans Cove-352-591-1435-For directions and lodging info

5genflcracker
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 5genflcracker » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:28 pm

How was the ride is the ater still down i will be down there in about a week

Skeeter
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Skeeter » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:06 am

The Seminole County crew is still here. We are riding this morning before we leave. There was a total of about 30 or 35 boats out yesterday.We started out together then broke off into groups.Got some really good riding in.Beautiful area.And also did some frogging.And Stan was his usual self when it came to to the fried frog legs :D Cntry also supplied some catfish that was good. And one of the Seminole guys brought soms Gator balls that were outstanding.

SAFARI RICK
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby SAFARI RICK » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:25 am

GATOR BALLS ain't never tried them!!!!
Sounds like another good time missed but maybe next time.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:48 pm

A seminole club member brought the gator balls, stan brought the catfish, lake county member(long hair) brought the striper filets, I cleaned out my freezer and brought the last of my frog leg stash and my specks and bluegills and hotdogs for the less adventureous ones. Several others brought different sausages, hamburgers, cheese burgers, Hushpuppies were also there along with macaroni salad, potato salad. I don't think anyone left hungry but several left very full. LOL

Stan and I showed skeeter about frog gigging and cleaning friday night and then held class again saturday night for bandit. The frogs were small for the most part and scattered large ones. The weather was good for it though.

I hitched a ride for half of saturday with skeeter. we left sportsmans cove and ended up leading a large flotilla of airboats to who knows where LOL but we lead anyways. Once I got skeeter out of the lake and into the trails the ride was on track except that we had no idea where we were except on a airboat ride. LOL Skeeter thanks for the ride being boatless is not fun. When the seminole crew headed for lunch the rest of us had lunch on a road crossing out there somewhere and then I rode with merle from the lake county club. merle has a shiny boat LOL we always suspected it ran good but he usually restricts its use to lake george and the juniper spring run, well not this time. we headed down a trail that was less traveled and he was doing pretty good so i signalled for a right turn after several signals he turned right, only problem was there was no trail there and the grass was a little high and the bushes were a little stiff and something happened to the water, i coulda swore it looked wet there, LOL Oh well he did fine and the boat ran great, never ran hot either, imagine that. When we finally got back to the lake he said you didn't think my boat would make it huh, I told him I felt the boat would do it I just didn't think he would. We had a great time only a few got stuck temporarily, it was a great ride and great company as usual.

Anyone who missed it well you missed a good one again.
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:09 pm

I have pictures and it won't let me post them but when I can I will
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Skeeter
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Skeeter » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:27 pm

Thanks Stan and Cntry for the help with the frogs,we had a great time,actually I'm frying some tonite buffalo style.As far as Orange Lake if you guys have not run that area,schedule to do so, its beautiful.Family Traditions Fish Camp/Cross Creek Lodge was outstanding.But if you walk across the street to the Yearling for dinner,be ready and get your wallet out.Really nice Rustic,historical place with a great musician,but they sure are proud of it.Our morning ride today got washed out due to weather and dining diaster at Geogies Grill,we stopped in at 1000 for breafest and left at 1215,I'd be real careful going there for food,more of a beverage stop. Anyway,it all turned out to be a great week-end with great riding and company AGAIN.

bandit9077
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Orange Lake Run

Postby bandit9077 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:01 pm

Well, as usual, good people, good food, how can you go wrong. Agreat round for Country and Stan, as usual there efforts at every event seem to be expected. I for one, cannot thank them enough for their efforts. no matter what you ask, they are glad to help(i think a tear just fell).To everyone else, skeeter, dave, mike, merle,the breakfast bunch and everyone, thanks!! For those that couldn't make it you gotta try one their GREEEET!! Weren,t them gator balls great.

stan
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby stan » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:47 pm

Gator Balls? I thought the same thing they were great !
Cntry mentioned that a couple of boats got stuck. Realy thats was me getting stuck twice, friday night dave from seminole pulled me out of some buggered up marsh . Then Sady morning I spun up on a floating mud tussot and had to get pulled off by beagle dog from lake county. However the old caddy held together all weekend.
We froged friday and saturday night down on the southeast corner of orange lake and while the frogs were not monsters they were plentyful ' flavorfull and very tender eating.
I would highly recommend any one to take the oppertunity to visit the folks at famliy traditions fish camp and partake all that orange lake has to offer .They also have plenty of grass shrimp , sold by the cup, for those that love to fish .
Being in Cross Creek is like stepping back in time fifty years when life moved at a slower pace. The yearling refects those times with it's menu( Qual ,froglegs, venison and sometimes cooter) and decore wich is laid out much like a museum.
all in all it was a new and wonderfull adventure , the only thing that I didn't see and missed the most was a good swimmin hole.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:35 pm

Sounds like y'all had a great time. I'm glad. Even with the lack of rain Orange/ Cross Creek/ Lockloosa is a very cool place to ride, and in drought times probably one of the best. With normal rain conditions it's amazing.

I went to Ellijay, GA to spend the weekend with my son and his wife for his 36th birthday ..... in a log cabin on a rock creek, fly fishin, so don't feel sorry for me, but keep our N. Florida place in mind, and I promise to show up for the next ride.

Again, glad you all had a good time. I knew you would.

muffled500hp
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby muffled500hp » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:54 am

Stan, Country and everyone that stayed with us at Family Traditions Fish Camp, we really enjoyed all you fine folks this weekend. We had a good time talking about what we love....the outdoors, airboats, and women. LOL All you fine folks are invited back to stay and hang out with us anytime. Great bunch of people! Hopefully in the future there won't be anyone there telling you to keep your dog on a leash. It was great meeting everyone. Maybe next time you guys wont be blocking the trail and force me to run the mud and jump the road. LOL

Keith
Keith ~~

Modern Performance Engines, LLC
Custom built engines for airboats, hotrods, mud trucks, buggies, circle track and drag racing!

352-282-6407
MPEKeith@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/modernperformanceenginesllc

Return to “June Ride/Meet”