Hunting Season

Stories, places to go, techniques, equipment, etc..
kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Hunting Season

Postby kwanjangnihm » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:09 am

Grabbed this clip from youtube as a reminder to all of us using a treestand this hunting season.
Be safe out there guys! :cheers: :salute: :thumbleft:

" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

rick
Site Admin

Re: Hunting Season

Postby rick » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:18 pm

I got a 13 year old climbing grandson I'm gonna show that to.

Thanks Jeff.

Rick

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:27 am

A buddy just sent me this photo of a broken cable from a climber. This accident just happened this weekend.
A friend fell out of his tree stand and was not wearing a harness. He was airlifted to hospital.
All ribs on left side fractured, six broken on right side, punctured lung and chipped vertebrae. Still in intensive care as we speak.
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:43 pm

Damn that sux! Always wear a harness. If not for you, for those that matter to you!

I hate to hijack this, but it made me wonder: Is the twisted multiple cables of a Summit LESS prone to that sort of un-warned breakage than the chain of an API?

I mean, a chain is only as strong as it’s weakest link, but multi strand wire is as strong as the remaining wires. Then as some broke there would either be a visible fray or a more flexible spot noticeable upon inspection... hmmmmmm?
Airboating is like marriage: There are unlimited ways a person can be right, and somehow still be wrong at the same time!!

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:32 pm

mojoe wrote: Is the twisted multiple cables of a Summit LESS prone to that sort of un-warned breakage than the chain of an API?

I may go ahead and order 2 replacement cables for my summit climbers. Not sure if I have read any data when to swap them out?? :scratch:

Hambone79
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Hambone79 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:28 am

on the summit cables if the rubber coating is ripped up and you have any rust on the cables I would replace them.

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:09 am

X2 on replacing the cable on a Summit if you see ANY visible rust... which is 10+ years if you pack it in and out every day. I would expect to replace it much more frequently if you leave it in the woods each season.

After seeing that pic and reading the story, I would replace the chain on an API annually if it gets left in the woods wether I saw rust or not!
Airboating is like marriage: There are unlimited ways a person can be right, and somehow still be wrong at the same time!!

Hambone79
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Hambone79 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:18 pm

The API and similar chain type stands I have never fully trusted with the locking pin through the chain. and also the fact my API tended to slip on trees time to time.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:53 pm

ordered 2 new cables today for piece of mind - GA trip got postponed for 2 weeks :violent1:

photo of my lucky killin tree!! nice mix or white & red oaks :cheers: :salute:

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:39 pm

Ahhhhh, the old series Summit Viper. Keep that thing forever. The paint on the new ones sux!

I have one of those and it is by far my go to stand. Also have a Summit 180° that is half is old and rarely gets used. Both get packed in and out every time and garage kept. The paint is in clearly worse shape on the 180°. It’s dark green and is supposed to deaden sound. I don’t know, guess the sound deadening trick is that it flakes off when you bang it..... whatever. Keep that old one!!

Return to “Hunting & Fishing”