Gator hunting tips

Stories, places to go, techniques, equipment, etc..
chobee36co
Southern Airboat Member

Gator hunting tips

Post by chobee36co »

First year hunting gators and i have a problem with them going under before we get close. If anyone has any pointers about hunting gators please leave comment.

Thank you and have a good and safe hunting season..

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Gator hunting tips

Post by mojoe »

I am by no means an expert. Last year was my first time, but here is something that worked for us. Load the boat before sundown. Get everything ready. Eat a good meal and go to sleep. Wake up at 3am and try the same thing you were doing at sundown. Also, if the weather says it is going to rain, go out and get wet. I do not have any special technique that makes a gator not notice impending death approaching. But timing helped us overcome our lack of experience. Hope that helps.
Mark 7:9

grant
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by grant »

PATIENCE

When they sink, just shut down and wait! Do this over and over till they screw up!!
"Don't Taze me Bro"

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

like Grant said, just re apply skeeter repel.....don't be afraid to blind throw where you think he is, you may get a suprise :D
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

Marsh Queen
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Marsh Queen »

Another tip on hunting, if your using bait, put a glow stick in the jug you have it tied on and you can see if anything gets on it. It's easy to find if they get in the weeds.

atcjets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by atcjets »

Also to add to Grant and Rich I still cast to the spot as alot of time's they just go under and wait.

gatorfrog2
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gatorfrog2 »

If they go down as u approach,....... In S@llow water only!!!, spin 360's around them and bring him too the top with your wake!!!!! :twisted: Givem a mud-bath before ya stickem!!!! P.s ... Don't lethim flip ya though kinda like a VERY BIG mannatee with a giant tail and teeth going under your boat or in it!!! :shock: HappyHunting......also second the waiting till 3am 0r just hang out till the get active....Big Gators will hang out on the bottom till all noises go away!!!!! :bigsmurf:
Lycoming 0320H 3/4 alum. Custom deckover 69" Narrow Whispertip w/ SuperSlick2000

Boofracinginc
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Boofracinginc »

what kind of boat are you using, what kind of gear do you have? when they go under try using a popper to bring em to the surface. also, if possible try to look for the ones that are on the edge of the weeds, you could trap them between the boat. just my two cents.
Obama wants change...he'll be taken the only thing left in our pockets!

Return to “Hunting & Fishing”