Bank Stick Missfire

Stories, places to go, techniques, equipment, etc..
southernman13
Southern Airboat Member

Bank Stick Missfire

Post by southernman13 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:26 am

I'll post a picture but this is a different bang stik not the Beco, anyway its a very common one it has the barrel that has two o-rings that simply slides into th femal end. I cant hardly make it go off. We got a 10' Monday nite and was onlu able to get one shot off on him and it wasnt a good one. We played hell killlin that gator. That wasnt the first time either. The last couple years I've had problems. I thought it was the bullets. but this time we had a brand new box of 44mags and never got a single obe to fire. We tried an old bullet and got lucky once. You could see where the fring pin was denting the primer but it must not have been enough. I have two of these and both act the same way. Neither one has been fired that many times. I only took one with me Monday nite and I had just cleaned it, put ne o-rings on it and lubed it up. I thought it wasnt sliding in easily enough, but all that didnt help at all. Just wanted to see if anyone has any ideas or has had the same problems, thanks

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Bank Stick Missfire

Post by terrible ted » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:32 am

I have the same style it sounds like but mine fires easily. Try a light coat of Vaseline on the o'rings to stop binding. Also make sure the strike in the bottom good. but if the primer dented ?
The only other thoughts is hit the gator a little harder????????????

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by AirRanger » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:59 am

With that type of bangstick (as any) it does require impact to fire. The most common mistake I have seen is that someone will try to push down on the bangstick attempting to fire it. You can use the powerhead of the stick to push the gators head below the water surface but then draw back away from it a foot or so too make a good hard stabbing type impact to the kill spot. Been doing it that way many years with the same style bangstick and never had a problem. Good luck.

southernman13
Southern Airboat Member

Post by southernman13 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:31 am

As I said I cleaned it as new, put 2 new o-rings on it and lubed it with woody wax. It slides so good it almost wants to fall out when you point it down. The fring pin looks very good, and we are definitley hitting them hard. Drawnigback and slaming it from a foot or more above the gators head. I though it was just me and my buddy did it and had the same results. Like I said I've had it fire but its failed to fire way more times than not. On two occasions we've had to physically kill the gator with a knife and hammer and chissel. That wasnt any fun. An 11' and the other nite a 10', It was a major pain in the arse. My buddy has a beco head on his but we lost the barrel. I think I found a new one for it. I'm going to get it today and use it tonight. His is a 357 and he said he's never had a problem with it and never had to try and jam it thorugh the gators head to make it go off. I was gun shy with mine so the other day we bought a new box of ammo and after cleaning it we hit it on a 2x6 in the yard and it worked fine, but when it came to real world use, it failed as many times in the past. If we get a chance to use his and its works fine I'm going to get one like ait and get rid of mine.

lunkr
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lunkr » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:51 pm

Take some nail polish and coat the primer and the neck where the bullet seats to make sure that water does not get in.
Paul

grant
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by grant » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:38 pm

Need to drill a small hole in the side of the breech to let the trapped air out to get consistent firing from a bang stick with an O ringed barrel. Might experiment with exactly where you set the barrel in relation to the firing pin if you can't drill it.
"Don't Taze me Bro"

Seminole Wind
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Seminole Wind » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:41 pm

lunkr wrote:Take some nail polish and coat the primer and the neck where the bullet seats to make sure that water does not get in.
:violent1: What he said!!!!
THROW ALL THE RAT BASTARDS OUT.....RE-ELECT NO ONE!!!
F.T.M.F.
Be safe and keep yer knees in da breeze;
Vinny

http://community.webshots.com/user/hdbuckwheat
http://www.highlifter.com
http://www.svtperformance.com

southernman13
Southern Airboat Member

Post by southernman13 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:48 am

I kind agree with the hoel for the air. I was also thinking that it has to be trapped in there and that may not allow it to seat all the way to the bottom. I'm going to look closer at that. I bought a new one yesterday, same style but looks to be a different manufacturer. The firing pin in it is definitely more pointed. We used it last nite and it went off twice without fail. I like it. As far as the nail polish I've heard ot that but these bullets were not inserted into the head untill it was time to use it, and they were not wet or even moist in any way, so that cant be the problem. They were brand new bullets. I think its a combination of air in the chamber and/or the firing pin is worn. The thing is I have two of them and neither one has been used much at all. Maybe the firing pins wear easily. Thanks for the replies, but for now with the new one were good to go!

bluaussie
Southern Airboat Member

Post by bluaussie » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:42 am

Where are you located? I ll take a look for you if your local...

southernman13
Southern Airboat Member

Post by southernman13 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:28 am

I'm in S. Orlando, orange/Osceola line, I figured out how to get them apart and I'm sure its the firing pin. One has a 10-32 ss allen head and the other has an8-32 ss allen head firing pin. I guess there both worn down. CFTH offered to fix them for free. Cant beat that for customer service. and apparently there not even his. Any way again it has to be the firing pins, I mean there aint nothing left if their clean and lubed properly. Thanks for all the help

Return to “Hunting & Fishing”