hunting does in florida

Stories, places to go, techniques, equipment, etc..
Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: hunting does in florida

Post by Scarecrow »

I know someone said don,t do it just cause GA does it, I hunt in GA and it,s 2 bucks and 10 does a year and I still see more does than bucks. I not sure FWC gets it or even cares. :scratch: :rebel:

huntman74
Southern Airboat Member

Post by huntman74 »

Ok guys, here we go. Harvesting more does is not really an issue in much of Florida, especcially penisular Florida, because the deer herd is not stressed from a lack of food. Deer in florida have plenty to eat throughout the year. its just not as nutritious as many other areas of the US. Combine that with Bergmans Rule ( ecogeographic principle that states that within a broadly distributed taxonomic clade, populations and species of larger size are found in colder environments) we just arent going to get bucks here as "big", on average, as other areas of the country. The primary reason for harvesting does is to reduce the overall deer population in a given area so that there will be more food for the survivors. Again, this just isnt a problem in Florida.

So, just because they kill lots of slick heads in other parts of the country is not a reason to do so here. Again, you need to examine the why of a situation. In some situations a skewed sex ratio can alter the rut duration/intensity/timing, but that is not the primary reason for having a heavy doe harvest. If you guys want to see more and better bucks, i would suggest not shooting so many young bucks. Dont take it out on the does. Or do, just dont use the excuse that shooting lots of does will give you bigger bucks. Not really. Not here.

With that, i give you a picture of a buck(s) taken from a WMA i used to manage that had little to no antlerless harvest and still produced some of the nicest racks (deer racks) in south florida.

Jason (CWB)
Attachments
DSC00312.JPG
DSC00312.JPG (150 KiB) Viewed 942 times

huntman74
Southern Airboat Member

Post by huntman74 »

another one.
Attachments
bigbuck.jpg
bigbuck.jpg (146.31 KiB) Viewed 939 times

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Scarecrow »

Huntman74, you are right on the money with that advice,let the young bucks walk and only take out the mature bucks, nature will do the rest. :thumbleft: :rebel:

flash
Southern Airboat Member

Post by flash »

Very nice
Gun control is not about Guns, it's about CONTROL!
USMC---ALWAYS FAITHFUL
'Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither' ...ol BEN

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

don't worry, the 90k dollar DMU surveys gonna fix everything...can't wait to see these new changes the DMU team comes up with.

BTW, some nice bucks there, real nice...didn't one go like 156 or something like that?
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

huntman74
Southern Airboat Member

Post by huntman74 »

Rich, the first buck, bow kill, grossed in mid 130's. i can look back at Buck Registry to see for sure. i belive he is registered? 2nd deer, not sure but he wasnt in 150's. heck of a deer, certainly grossed in upper 130- 140's though. i helped that guy track and finish off the second deer.

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg »

Good info huntsman, happy somebody posted who knows the reasoning and can explain it well for Florida bag limits. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

Return to “Hunting & Fishing”