Shootin' rats ....

Stories, places to go, techniques, equipment, etc..
Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Shootin' rats ....

Post by Olf Art » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:15 am

Some of the most fun hours I spent as a kid were at night with an old flashlight taped under the forestock of a little Stevens single shot bolt action .22 shootin' rats .... either out at the city dump, but more often off of a trash pile out behind a grain elevator that sat on the edge of town.

When you walked up on that trash pile at night it looked like the whole top of the thing was moving in the moonlight. They'd tunneled it into a rat city, and you'd better have a couple wraps of tape around the ankles of your jeans in case one of the buggers came your way. You'd pull up your rifle, click on the flashlight, and then you had a couple seconds to get off a shot. After you'd shot, click off the flashlight and be real still, and in a couple minutes they'd be out again.

I can't be the only one on here that ever did that? :)
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Shootin' rats ....

Post by goldhunter_2 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:26 am

you know a empty two liter bottle and some of that tape and you wouldn't have had to wait so long for them rats to come back :D

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

K-mac
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by K-mac » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:45 am

Back on the ranch we had our own dump (back before the world got proper) and
shooting rats at the dump was a blast. But once we went down to the feedlot in
LaBelle for about a week to work cows and seeing as how back in the 70s when the
sun went down in LaBelle it got a bit slow we would go th the feed silos (they called
them silos, they were more like bunkers, large concrete buildings with openings on
each end big enough to drive a loader through. anyhow we would go down there at
night and it was like a nonstop video game or something, the rats would come out of
the holes in the pile of feed like it was a sinking ship. One night we killed almost a
hundred in about ten minutes. It was'nt one of the smarter things we did, its a wonder
with four of us in there at once shooting 22s that noone got shot, but I guess we were
high on testosterone, and low on sence. It was a blast though, thanks for draggin that
old memeroy out for me. :P :rebel: :old_glory:
If the south would'a won we'da had it made!

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:18 am

The swat team would show up today with helicopters and snipers ... you bunch of terrorist rat shootin hooligans ...

ROFLMAO ... but it was fun slippin around the dairy barn and poppin them off the rafters on the run ... and nothing ever got killed or injured except rats ??? strangest thing ... I guess the bullets were somehow guided
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

K-mac
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by K-mac » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:30 am

cntry, we got reamed for shootin them off the rafters in the barn, could'nt see why though
the roof leaked like screen door anyway. :lol:
If the south would'a won we'da had it made!

LSX1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by LSX1 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:43 am

I lived on a hog farm when I was younger that had 4 faring house's. The wolf rats were there for the milled feed also, they had tunnel nest in between and under the house's, so after work often me and a buddy would shoot rats to help keep disease's down from the pigs. We both bought ruger m77 22 mag.rifles with 4x scopes and would back off 100-150 yards on a slight hill, and the rats would travel between the house's to get at the feed troffs, we had a game if you missed 1 you could only watch and not shoot. That made you steady and not miss.My buddy would miss 1 more often than me and would have to watch me in action, it was nothing to get 50-60 rats a afternoon, sometimes a 100 after you left them alone for a week or so.It was a training for me to learn to be steady with a rifle. Great fun. LSX1

AirHog
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by AirHog » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:24 am

I worked at a boat business in down town Winter Park FL that had guard dogs and their food
Attracted rats. I had keys to the place and would stop by with my pellet gun. It was dead
On. Could take their head off at a pretty good range.

The rats knew they were being stalked after the first shot. Then on to the next building and another
Shot. Never picked one up, and never had one left on the ground in the morning.

Neat to be able to hunt in town any time you wanted. The rats knew the score. Probably the most consistent hunting Sucess I ever had. Got 4 or 5 every time I stopped by. Came by twice or three times a night sometimes. Fun lasted a couple years.

Guess all good things come to an end :(
Bad decisions make good stories!
Citrus County Airboat Alliance Member

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by John C » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:27 pm

Olf, I hadn't thought about shooting rats in a long time. Back in the early 70's me and my Highschool buddies use to go down to the city dump and shoot rats. We use to have a ball. They would put you in jail for that now.

R L Williams
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by R L Williams » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:20 pm

Yep, K-mac, even rat shot will punch holes in that cheap aluminum roofing which in turn will get your ass whupped.
:proud:
:florida:
"GRASS SCOOTER"
Member of the over the hill gang.
United Sportsmen Airboaters Alliance.
NRA life member.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:59 pm

we used cb caps .. and the rats ran on the lower braces of the rafters ... wasn't supposed to shoot the roof LOL and nope I never remember the roof gettin hit .. but a bad memory is a good thing sometimes
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

airboatfever
Southern Airboat Member

Post by airboatfever » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:20 pm

Hey Olf, as a boy, we would vacation on the family farm in La Grange KY. me and my cousins would sit out back of the grain silo and pick m off, or go down to the creek and plink frogs or cans. I had a Stevens Jr, single shot, bolt action and we could buy .22 shorts at the Liggets Rexall for 50 cents a box, and a orange crush soda for 15 cents, dad had sawed off a couple inches of the stock so it would shoulder easy. didn't think nothin of it to put a box of shells in your pocket and hold that small rifle across the handle bars of our bikes and take off for the day and just "be home for supper" Oh how times have changed. Thanks for bringin that old memory back, JIM
The original AIRBOATFEVER 500 caddy, 14' Gilleo, Sensenich 72x44 woody,

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:35 pm

Jim, in the 50's a box of .22LR was around 30 cents at the Western Auto store, and RC Cola's and Moon Pies were both a dime each.
Been through LaGrange many times on a freight train ...... just East of Louisville. Pretty country up there.

airboatfever
Southern Airboat Member

Post by airboatfever » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:58 pm

Olf, my uncle Gene Farley run trains from danville Ky over to the virginia's and back for 40 years, coal mostly, my grampa Wiliam Gobel Farley was a machinist. also both Mason's, dont know their degree of Masonry, as i recall there was a big train depot, service center there in Danville, moms side of the family farmed tobacco untill the feds subsidised them to grow corn, so we had plenty of corn attration those rats. moms dad passed couple years ago, he was 97. tha farm is no longer there, its a houseing subdivision now and the Rexall is gone and a walmart super store has been built. ther used to ba a mom and pop toy store in town. great store to go to Christmas time as a kid back in the sixties, early 70's. Hope you have a happy and prosperous new year, JIM
The original AIRBOATFEVER 500 caddy, 14' Gilleo, Sensenich 72x44 woody,

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:16 pm

Walks down memory lane are a good thing most of the time .. I used to carry my shotgun or rifle across my handle bars of my bike ridin down the road .. I said my shotgun or rifle because I was twelve and had bought my first of each at sears ... of course my dad had to buy them with my money .. the sales clerk was from up north and was shocked when I tried to buy them and he refused so I told him to wait right there until I went and got my dad .. he would set him straight .. LOL

well one day the sheriffs deputy pulled me over on SR 70 while I was on my way dove hunting on the railroad track ... it seems some old lady had moved down from up north and was scared of me and my guns on my bike .. my schwinn bike with the banana seat and high handle bars LOL So he made me agree to start putting them in a soft case while riding on public roads .. I hated to give in but .. what can a twelve year old kid do ... and he dared ask me for tips on where to go .. some nerve .. LOL

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by John C » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:38 pm

cntry, you just brought up a whole bunch of old memories. riding the old schwin down to the Railroad tracks to shoot dove and a few pigeons. There aint now way a couple of kids on bikes with a 12ga and 16ga shotgun could get away with doing that today. They would make the eving news, and there parents would be arrested. The world sure has changed. now all the kids just shoot people and blow $h1t up on video games. I sure am glad i grew up when i did. Kids today dont have a clue. Damn I sound like an Old man,lol.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:50 pm

John C, I had an old dog I called Hap .... he was half beagle and half bassett, and he was the finest rabbit dog a boy could ever ask for.
Ol' Hap and I would walk down the road past neighbor's houses on the way out to some fields where we hunted, me a kid with my gun and my dog, and the neighbors would smile and wave, and wish us luck!
Today they'd probably call 911 and report us.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:55 pm

yep used to pick up the soda bottles for the deposit money .. cash them in for a credit slip until I had enough credit to get a box of shells .. in my dads name of course because kids couldn't buy ammo even back then. No johnc today it would be swat team snipers and helicopters ... I remember when someone first told me about joining a gang ..I said why ?? protection they said .. LOL I said you city kids better re-think this crap around here it aint gonna go down like you think it is. That was out behind the slot car track .. sneakin a smoke. They cut the tires on my bike ... when I asked them nicely who did it they just laughed and said we all did it we are a gang ... I shrugged my shoulders and walked home and got a baseball bat and walked back down there ... I beat every bike in the back until they couldn't be ridden ... and when they came out I beat one or two of them before the others stopped coming outside ... I told them my name was John .. I didn't need no gang and they better leave me and my friends alone because we all had baseball bats ... but alas it seems they won in the long run ... look at america today .. and there wasn't an illegal immigrant in the bunch of them all of them were white ...

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:16 pm

goldhunter_2 wrote:you know a empty two liter bottle and some of that tape and you wouldn't have had to wait so long for them rats to come back :D
You can also use a baby bottle nipple ..... slice an 'X' in the tip of it with a razor blade and slip it over the end of the barrel. :)

Seminole Wind
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Seminole Wind » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:50 pm

Man the memories that are emergin' from the fog!!!!
Back when I was a fawn of about 7 or 8 it was common practice to spend Friday nite and Saturday squirrel and rabbit huntin' in the fall and winter months with friends at school. I was born and raised on a farm in southeast Iowa near a small little burg of about 1200 good folks so most all of us were bused to school. Well on Friday mornin' we would gather up our shootin' irons and ride the bus to school, (shootin' irons and all), when we got to school we would lean all our rifles and shootguns up against the back wall of the classroom under the coat hooks, (can ya imagine what would happen these days if our kids and grand kids did that.....boy howdy). Then we would ride whom ever we were huntin' with's bus home with them after school. Not a human soul was lost due to to the first one of them guns. Rabbits and squirrels.....not so fortunate.
THROW ALL THE RAT BASTARDS OUT.....RE-ELECT NO ONE!!!
F.T.M.F.
Be safe and keep yer knees in da breeze;
Vinny

http://community.webshots.com/user/hdbuckwheat
http://www.highlifter.com
http://www.svtperformance.com

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:35 pm

Seminole Wind wrote:Not a human soul was lost due to to the first one of them guns. Rabbits and squirrels.....not so fortunate.
Hell yeah ..... when I left home for the Army I'd be willin' to bet that every rabbit in Gibson County was glad to see me and ol' Hap gone. He'd jump one and all I had to do was stand right where I was ..... he'd run it right back by me in a couple minutes and then 'Pop'. When I cleaned 'em I always gave him their livers. That was his reward and he ate 'em like candy.

cehurt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by cehurt » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories. Sad to say kids have to miss out on them today. But we can share the old years with them. :proud: Hope all have a safe and Happy New Year. Chuck

pierce44
Southern Airboat Member

Post by pierce44 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:01 am

I still have my Dad's Stevens model 15. I use to take it apart in the middle and roll it up in news paper and tie it to the handle bars of my bicycle so the cops couldn't tell what it was, ride way out to the end of Flagler street and shoot rats galore, used .22 shorts, what fun seeing them flip up in the air and run like hell !
Cecil Pierce

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:31 pm

pierce44 wrote:I still have my Dad's Stevens model 15. I use to take it apart in the middle and roll it up in news paper and tie it to the handle bars of my bicycle so the cops couldn't tell what it was, ride way out to the end of Flagler street and shoot rats galore, used .22 shorts, what fun seeing them flip up in the air and run like hell !
Yup, and if you'd only wounded one and it made it back to the hole all hell would break loose in the den because the rest of the pack would jump on it and finish it off. There is no honor among rats, and that's probably why I enjoyed sending them to 'rat heaven' so much.

Return to “Hunting & Fishing”