me again, got a story about an American family

Stories, places to go, techniques, equipment, etc..
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

me again, got a story about an American family

Post by newoldglory » Sun May 26, 2013 1:16 am

As we know by now, I Captain airboats for Sawgrass Rec. Park. I had come in from my first run and was already on call for my next tour when a young man walked up and said " Captain Gerald?" I acknowledged and he introduced himself and his lovely young wife and baby. He saw that I was rushed and quickly exsplained that he had been following me on S/A and enjoyed reading my story's. 8) They don't have an airboat but do have a big heart. :angel4: They had come to bring me 5 bags of white marble rock as I had asked my friends to help with to restore the boat landing here at Camp Old Glory. (sand, rock,etc.) I was in a hurry and tried not to be curt and thanked him. I told him where to drop off the rock at the end of the rail fence and exscused myself. They had bought a ticket to go on a short airboat tour at 9:30 am. Later, as I thought back, I felt bad that I did not have spent more time with them. :blackeye: After my next ride, I went to the end of the fence to take the rock down the levy so that no one would pick it up and it was not there. I hoped that he did not have time yet to drop off the rock. :dontknow: Some one of questionable caractor could have picked it up from the side of the parking area. :angry5: I didn't know how I was going to post it that it was not there and I can't lie about something like that, not even to save his feelings to know that the rock had been taken because then he would have felt obligated to replace it. :roll: After my next run, I went back and the 5 bags of rock was there. Rite then, I carried them down the levy so that they would be safe. :bounce: The rock is now at Old Glory and I will spread it tomorrow. :toothy7: In my haste, I did not catch his name or get his phone number. So this message is for YOU my young friend. You're contribution is earmarked for the future "Youth Hunts". Contact me here on S/A, or call me. 561-722-1712. I want to bring you and you're familly out to Old Glory. This is what true Americans do. :cheers:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: me again, got a story about an American family

Post by yobee » Sun May 26, 2013 8:21 am

Good deal, hope you get in touch with em.
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by pipedog » Sun May 26, 2013 8:36 am

THATS AWSOME to hear a great story like that!!! To the annoymous rock donator, if you had a good time on the tour boat just wait, your in for a REAL treat at Old Glory!!! I,m heading that way myself this morning with 6 - 5 gal buckets of rock. See if you can make it back you won't be disapointed :thumbleft: :proud:
Palm Beach open hull 13'9" with 6.0 F.I. LS - Ox Box and a 3bld "R"

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by skinnypockets » Sun May 26, 2013 9:11 am

Sounds like we're going back to the stone age, bartering for rocks! :lol: How many frog legs can I get for a bucket of rocks?

A few bags of rocks for a frog leg dinner at Oldglory, now that's a real bargain! :thumbleft:

:rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive

DrakeFL
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DrakeFL » Sun May 26, 2013 4:51 pm

Wow, I didnt expect any of this. I really appreciate everything everyone has offered.

I dont have an airboat, yet. The trip out to Sawgrass was more or less a test run to see how my daughter would do on the boat. She really had a great time and did really well. We dont know many people with airboats so I figured this was the best way to get us out. Gerald does so much for the airboating community, hunters and the everglades, this was the least I could do. I didnt do it to gain anything. I did it so he would keep doing what he does. So Old Glory remains open and welcome to everyone that it does. So that when I get an airboat I can take my family out to Camp Old Glory, sit on the porch, enjoy the views, the company and the stories that I read about from time to time. So, Gerald, I Thank you Sir.

Jonathan

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Sun May 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Jonathan, welcome to Southern Airboat ! Were glad you found us. Pull up a stump and join right in. It is fairly rare that someone reads up on us then actually participates and offers help to someone even before they become an airboater. Your helping Gerald in this manner shows everyone what you are made of. You are about to learn that the Airboating community like many others is basically a deal where you get out of it what you put into it. Being an airboater is far more than just buying an airboat and going boating. It involves helping others when you can with expertise, material, labor, and time. You certainly have stepped in in an appropriate manner. As you can see real airboaters react well when treated well or when they see others helping someone else.

Cudos to you sir for your approach, we are indeed glad to have you aboard Southern Airboat.

Scotty
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by pipedog » Sun May 26, 2013 9:53 pm

ImageIt was a awsome day!! Thanks Gerald for the lunch :thumbleft: Jonathan let us know when you get a boat, would like to ride with ya!
Palm Beach open hull 13'9" with 6.0 F.I. LS - Ox Box and a 3bld "R"

SteveReid
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by SteveReid » Wed May 29, 2013 10:05 pm

Jonathan the next time I go to Old Glory I will get in touch with you and if you want to go out to Old Glory, I will pick you and your Family up at the ramp and show y'all around. Then I bet the whole Family will vote to buy a Airboat.

woundedwarrior09
Southern Airboat Member

Post by woundedwarrior09 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:55 am

Jonathan my name is SGT Ron Hill and I don't have a boat either and hope to have one some day for my family to enjoy as well. Bud you couldn't of done a nicer thing for that Great Man Gerald Motes, he is one helluva a guy. He hosted a Wounded Warrior Family Day at OLD GLORy last year and boy what a turn out we had. Not one person complained about anything and I for one love the name of his camp, sits deep with me in my heart! All the guys are right the airboating community is great, I have called upon them twice last year to help me raise funds for Wounded Warriors and by God they reacted in numbers, I am calling upon them again this year for a September Wounded Warrior Event and even with it a little ways away they are slowly joining in. Not to many people out there anymore that helps anyone, so I thank you for helping Mr. gerald out as you did so he can still bring military famailies out there to enjoy weekend. For what you did I :salute: you bud!

:old_glory: :usa: :proud: :salute:
:rolltide:

SGT Ron Hill
Military Liaison for: Florida Sportsmen's Conservation, Marsh Rider Magazine, and the Wounded Warriors of South Florida

DrakeFL
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DrakeFL » Thu May 30, 2013 11:37 pm

Thank you all for all of the welcomes.

Scotty,

Your right, I have noticed the community/family aspect around here. I have no problem helping out with labor, materials and time. Being around like minded people makes that easy to do.

Steve,

Thank you for the offer. Ill take you up on that next time you have a few open seats. Any ground I can get in convincing momma we NEED an airboat is good ground. The little one absolutely loved being on the tour boat last weekend. Momma had a good time as well but the difference in one of those big tour boats and and a smaller personal boat is huge and the experience is that much better on the personal boats.

SGT Ron Hill,

First I would like to thank you for your service. Although I have only met Gerald briefly, you are correct. He is a great guy and a model American. You are doing a great thing with the Wounded Warrior events. I know a couple people who have been on the receiving end the Wounded Warrior events and have extremely good things to say about the organization still to this day. If there is anything I can help with, let me know.

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory » Fri May 31, 2013 12:07 am

When a seed is planted, it becomes something big, beautifull and meaningfull . This post is no different.
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

Return to “Hunting & Fishing”