Koolaid Corn for hogs

Stories, places to go, techniques, equipment, etc..
gatorfrog2
Southern Airboat Member

Koolaid Corn for hogs

Postby gatorfrog2 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:44 pm

Was wondering if anyone has tried it. I herd they go crazy for it. Somthing like take corn an put in 5-gal bucket. Poor a pack of Koolaide"fruit-punch" in add water an install a lid on bucket. Set out in sun for a few days. Let forment!!....then go hang it drilling a few holes in bucket. Side note. Friend having hog issue on small 10acre piece if land. Totally fenced in hog wire etc. killed a few off last year they got the message. But this year there back. He asked is there away to just poison the bastards?...any suggestions?
Lycoming 0320H 3/4 alum. Custom deckover 69" Narrow Whispertip w/ SuperSlick2000

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Koolaid Corn for hogs

Postby DDSBC » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:55 pm

High speed lead poisoning works well :lol:
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:42 pm

Poisoning is illegal. Set traps
I love wild bacon made over 12 lbs this year it's almost gone already.

SteveReid
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Postby SteveReid » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:01 pm

Call Dusty Brewster is the best answer.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:11 pm

The lights are on over at Publix. You could sleep in .... :)
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

gatorfrog2
Southern Airboat Member

Postby gatorfrog2 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:49 pm

10-4 I thought poisoning was illegal. Yup. High speed led is best bet. Just tired of waiting for them to show up. So that's why I'm gonna set feeder outside fence. Maybe they'll be happy w/Koolaide corn an not root under oak trees after acorns. Here piggy piggy
Lycoming 0320H 3/4 alum. Custom deckover 69" Narrow Whispertip w/ SuperSlick2000

MilkManDan
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby MilkManDan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:13 pm

I Hear Sodium Nitrate Does A Number On Them. It Is A Preservative Thats Used In Making Sausage Or Bacon. Just Don't Get Caught Using It Because Whatever EaTs It Will Die If It EaTs Enough.

FlatsFisher
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby FlatsFisher » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Kool-aid works pretty good as an attractant, but if your setting traps mix the corn with diesel. You'd be surprised how well it works, and you won't have to worry about the dang coons.

Also, I was told that Sodium Nitrate will kill hogs, and fly bait mixed with grape soda will take out a coon in a matter of seconds.

rick
Site Admin

Postby rick » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:04 pm

Trap's seem to work good out here where I live for the people that have a hog problem.

However, my problem is the opposite. I live on kind of an isolated, 10 acre, sand hill and would like to lure them in for the grandkids to hunt. Just can't seem to get them to climb our hill. Never used the koolaid, but I did mix corn & water & hang it like you said. It got bad rank, but still wouldn't pull the hogs in and they're only 500 to 800 ft. down the slope to wetter land.

Rick

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:25 pm

rick wrote:Trap's seem to work good out here where I live for the people that have a hog problem.
However, my problem is the opposite. I live on kind of an isolated, 10 acre, sand hill and would like to lure them in for the grandkids to hunt. Just can't seem to get them to climb our hill. Never used the koolaid, but I did mix corn & water & hang it like you said. It got bad rank, but still wouldn't pull the hogs in and they're only 500 to 800 ft. down the slope to wetter land.
Rick

Rick, never seen it done, but what about setting out one of those molasses 'lick blocks' that you use when you run cattle.
The scent of that would probably bring 'em in, along with who knows what else! Might be interesting to say the least. :)
Just a thought.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

Cowboy Rock
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby Cowboy Rock » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:35 pm

Rick,,,

Fill a 5 gallon bucket halfway full with corn, add 2 packs of YEAST, get it at the grocery store, fill it up with water,put a lid on it for 3 days out in the Sun,,,

You talk about RANK,,, Hang it up and drill a couple of tiny holes, just enough to make it drip,,,

Hang it low enough that they can bump it with their nose,,, They will come,,,

Hogs are considered Varmits up here bow,,, Farmers hate them,,,

:drunken: :rebel: :old_glory:

Cowboy r
Wet Dreams Too,,,

14 ft. Panther,,, 370ci SBC, 72 in Whirlwind Whispertip, Line-X-350 X bottom,,,

"Full bloodied Dog hunting man"

Dry Branch, Ga.

Thats how I roll,,,

Stewie
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby Stewie » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:15 pm

Hey Rick if your trying to lure hogs in put up a old round post 6-8 in diameter and get a burlap sack or a woven blanket like the cheap Indian repos they sell for $10.00 at the mini mart. And staple it to that there post then take a paint brush and brush just a little bit of burnt/used motor oil not sopping just enough to scratch on.And bam your grand kids will have them a hog to shoot at!! They love to rub on the old oil keeps the bugs off! I have used this method for years give it a try? Let me know how it works :thumbleft: :old_glory: :rebel: :florida:

rick
Site Admin

Postby rick » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:03 pm

Gonna save this thread & give some or all that stuff a try.

We do have an ace in the hole right now I think. Tristan (oldest grandson) acquired a good size wild sal that has a 4 week old litter right now. I'm no expert, but I'm thinking when she's done with the litter & is available again, them boars will climb the hill to try their luck...we call it "co*ter on the brain". It works for all species :D

Thanks for the thread gatorfrog2.

Rick

Shippee123
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Shippee123 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:50 pm

Grape koolaid and corn work, the best I've seen is old vegetable oil and corn. Just don't get it on ya cause it don't wash off!
11'6"x7' Royal craft with a 0300a Continental swinging a 74"two blade Super Snapper

Return to “Hunting & Fishing”