FL Alligator Harvest updates

Stories, places to go, techniques, equipment, etc..
Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

FL Alligator Harvest updates

Post by Hog Guts » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:58 am

In case you did not see the email (from FWC):

Based on stakeholder input, the FWC is modifying the process used to issue Statewide Alligator Harvest Permits in an effort to improve the permitting process. The main objectives of these modifications are to ensure as many individuals as possible are awarded a permit and minimize the number of leftover permits that are handled through the first-come - first-served process.
Changes that will be implemented in 2015 include:

Phase I: Random Drawing
• Up to 20 hunt choices will be allowed per application (still only one application per person) – this should improve an applicant’s chances of being awarded a desired permit
• Persons will be able to cancel and resubmit an application between the time of original submission and the end of the application period – so if there are mistakes made or last minute changes needed this will provide for that flexibility

Phase II: Random Drawing
• Persons who were awarded a permit in Phase I but did not claim it will not be able to apply in Phase II
• Up to 20 hunt choices will be allowed per application (still only one application per person) – this should improve an applicant’s chances of being awarded a desired permit
• Persons can cancel and resubmit an application between the time of original submission and the end of the application period – so if there are mistakes made or last minute changes needed this will provide for that flexibility

Phase III: Random Drawing (New Phase)
• Any person can apply
• Up to 5 applications per person can be submitted
• Only one hunt choice will be allowed per application
• A valid credit card number must be included with each application (availability of funds will be checked, but no hold will be placed on the credit card balance)
• Persons can cancel and resubmit an application between the time of original submission and the end of the application period – so if there are mistakes made or last minute changes needed this will provide for that flexibility
• If an application is successful, the credit card number submitted with the application will be charged and the permit awarded
• A person can be awarded up to five permits, cumulatively, across all random drawing phases
• No refunds will be allowed (this applies to all permitting phases)

Leftovers Phase: First Come - First Served
• Only one hunt choice will be allowed per application
• Only one active shopping cart will be allowed (i.e., a shopping cart that has an item in it) – this will restrict a person to making a single permit transaction before seeking another one
• A person can be awarded up to 10 permits, cumulatively, across all phases – this will ensure that no one person dominates the issued permits

We hope that you like these improvements

rudee116
Southern Airboat Member

Re: FL Alligator Harvest updates

Post by rudee116 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:47 am

A step in the right direction, but not enough to fix the process. IMO they should require the credit card in phase 1 or anyone awarded a permit who does claim it should not be allowed to apply for the rest of that season AND the following. They should also start issuing preference points. No reason for some people to get the same permit every year and others to not get any year after year.
14' Don Davis w/ Upstack 0-540

When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. — Benjamin Franklin

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:50 am

more choices wont make a dif. I tried every phase to get the same permit. they were there till the end, a simple one to.

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:20 pm

More to the rule changes than that, now if you apply in phase 1 and get drawn and do not purchase the permit you will not be allowed to draw in phase two. I agree they need to make you pay for the tag when you draw as that does make up for a ton of tags getting sent back to the pool, :rebel:
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

http://krvsa.com/product/airboat-raffle-tickets/

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

getchasumairboats
Southern Airboat Member

Post by getchasumairboats » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:01 pm

It would stop a lot of bs if they made you send money first. Imo
http://WWW.USFTH.COM where the weak are killed and eaten !!!!!

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:39 am

yes it would.
Apparently last year everyone was awarded the area I wanted and they never bought them. Not a special area just one close to home. If we paid at the beginning I would of picked one up. I saw that allover they awarded them all and it like no one bought them then they did it again. So we see it this is better or screwed just as badly.

Debo75
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Debo75 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:33 pm

I really wish they would set a percentage aside for Florida residents only. I keep hearing scuttlebutt that the out-of-staters got priority because they pay so much more for permits. Of a group of about 20 of my friends, only 1 guy was awarded tags last year.
20'x8' GTO w/ MAS 509 BBC, 2.38:1 Stinger, 4 blade Power Plus.

chevy01
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by chevy01 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:17 pm

they should make small non refundable application fee and if you are awarded the tags it automatically gets debited from your account i think that would cut out most of the people applying
11'6 bigbad custom lycoming 0340 straight valve

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:19 pm

chevy01 wrote:they should make small non refundable application fee and if you are awarded the tags it automatically gets debited from your account i think that would cut out most of the people applying
That would be to easy :thumbleft:
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

http://krvsa.com/product/airboat-raffle-tickets/

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:56 am

There should be preference to Florida residents who buy fishing/hunting licenses. We already support the industry and provide funds to State agencies. The more licenses they sell, the more Federal funds they are awarded.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Waterbugger
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Waterbugger » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:26 am

Go one better than just a Florida residents preference, it should also be the more generations your family goes back in the state the more preference you get for being awarded the permit. Combine that with how much you spend on commercial fishing licensing,tags, permits, trapping permits, fish/fur dealer permits, and the recreational licensing as well now that would be fair give the permits to those who spend the most money and time in the outdoors.

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by AirRanger » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:46 am

While they are at it, they should reject any applicants from outside of Florida who subscribes to Discovery Channel. If they had not seen Swamp People they would not be overburdening the Florida resource to begin with.

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:01 pm

The changes help, but we need preference points.

The changes help you get a permit, but not necessarily the permit you want. A non refundable application fee and preference points would help those of us who have a favorite area get it every few years. And those that just want a permit will typically get one or another every year.
Mark 7:9

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:23 am

phase 3 is open, looked like plenty still left :cheers:
12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

chevy01
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by chevy01 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:36 pm

the system still sucks can't understand how its a random drawing when there are people that get tags every year and there are some including me that have never been drown this will be 8 year now.
11'6 bigbad custom lycoming 0340 straight valve

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Comanche-pup » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:29 am

Depends alot on areas you pic, pic a high demand area and your chances drop drastically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:16 am

Yes it looked like are 3A is high demand, but other places like Alachua county none of the tags where applied for? :scratch: :scratch:

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:08 pm

well i still want the same permit as in phase 1 & 2 but i don't want more than one. So i will only apply for one one time not 5. Kind of screwed here on phase 3 in my opinion

Shippee123
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Shippee123 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:35 pm

Same here, put a deposit to begin with so everyone doesn't apply that isn't gonna take it. That way everyone doesn't apply for every person in the family hoping to get one drawn . Got to be a simpler way !
I applied for the same one as both other phases as well.
11'6"x7' Royal craft with a 0300a Continental swinging a 74"two blade Super Snapper

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:03 pm

Shippee123 wrote:Same here, put a deposit to begin with so everyone doesn't apply that isn't gonna take it. That way everyone doesn't apply for every person in the family hoping to get one drawn . Got to be a simpler way !
did you apply for same place and did not get awarded a tag but there where still tags available during the later phases for that same spot?

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:51 pm

lilly-Pad wrote:
Shippee123 wrote:Same here, put a deposit to begin with so everyone doesn't apply that isn't gonna take it. That way everyone doesn't apply for every person in the family hoping to get one drawn . Got to be a simpler way !
did you apply for same place and did not get awarded a tag but there where still tags available during the later phases for that same spot?

OF COURSE.
Last year permits I tried to get in phase one and two went up for grabs in phase 3. Same this year so far

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:59 pm

lilly-Pad wrote:Yes it looked like are 3A is high demand, but other places like Alachua county none of the tags where applied for? :scratch: :scratch:
I know a few people who got Alachua and there are a lot of large gotors there.

wildcard
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by wildcard » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:11 pm

who needs a permit :stirpot: :fishing :slap: :rebel: kill them all :cheers:

Return to “Hunting & Fishing”