North Lake Okeechobee Airboat Access

Stories, places to go, techniques, equipment, etc..
air spook
Southern Airboat Member

North Lake Okeechobee Airboat Access

Post by air spook »

I need all airboat users that use Okee Tantie to lunch their boats there write a post back letting me know how often you use it and why you load and unload there. Also have all your airboat friends and clubs post as well. We need to let our County commissioners know how important that area is to us and show it needs to stay as is. If we show them it supports the community through in county purchases and many out of town folks use it year round it may have an impact on keeping it the way it is now. I am afraid if we don't prove the importance of the unimproved area we use now to airboat from it may be considered as area to turn into a RV site. Please help by posting. Thanks

wrongturn
Southern Airboat Member

Re: North Lake Okeechobee Airboat Access

Post by wrongturn »

We use this ramp all the time. The only dry launch I know of on the north side

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

last I heard they were rejected permit applications?
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

air spook
Southern Airboat Member

Post by air spook »

Thanks for the posts. The commissioners are getting ready to start talks with Elite RV Resorts about taking over Okee- Tantie and upgrading it and I am trying to get all the airboater support so I can show that the section we use does not need to be part of the development. You are right there really is no other launch location besides the game wardon boat ramp area. Please keep posting it is vital to all airboaters who use this launch area.

air spook
Southern Airboat Member

Post by air spook »

Ned more responses . If the boat ramp is going to stay as is you need to take 2 minutes and tell me you use the area for airboating purposes. It will be helpful when we state our case to the county commissioners. Thanks

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lariat »

I'm from Lake Placid, and that is definitely the ramp I prefer when I run Okeechobee.

thebirdman
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by thebirdman »

I use it as often as I can go out the, don't really like lock 7 and the dry loading and unloading makes everything much easier on me and the family. Would really hate to see something happen to it, hopefully the just leave it alone.
ImageImage

A/V 0-320 11' Bear Member of LOAA

air spook
Southern Airboat Member

Post by air spook »

Thanks for the posts. Please keep posting I am keeping these posts as part of our presentation to the commissioners. As a note on April 10th I will be at the FAA meeting talking about this subject and trying to get more support.Thanks

nitro
Southern Airboat Member

Post by nitro »

Myself and friends use this ramp year round. We typically ride and frog the North end of lake because we live in the area. We need that access to the water.

air spook
Southern Airboat Member

Post by air spook »

Thanks, this is what we need.

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by John C »

I have been using the Okee tantie airboat area for many years. It is the #1 choice for launching my boat on the North end of Lake Okeechobee. Not only is it a great place to load and unload an airboat, I'm sure all the other boaters like the fact that they don't have to contend with airboats at the boat ramp. Lots of airboats use this area, especially during Duck hunting season. If this airboat area is no longer available, all the bass fisherman and other outboard boaters would be waiting at the ramp a long time to launch their boats. It would become very congested in the mornings.

John C

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad »

that is my preferred ramp to put in lake Okeechobee. Me and my friends all prefer to put in there we drive up from Homestead and drive past other ramps to put in there. If it was no longer available it would suck :dontknow: :proud:
12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

kfowler
Southern Airboat Member

Post by kfowler »

Born and raised in Okeechobee. I've enjoyed the North side of the Lake my whole life. So has my Father, my Grandfather and Great Grandfather. Hopefully my son as well (3 months old!). I use the concrete ramp and dry load as well. I rarely use another ramp other than Okee-Tantie and would be a great disappointment to me to not be able to take my son out of the same ramp I went out of as a child.

Hopefully something will happen to keep it active and open 24 hours.

God Bless.

air spook
Southern Airboat Member

Post by air spook »

Thanks for the responses, please send more, get your friends to post. I was down there The past 2 Saturdays and last Sunday afternoon and there was a lot of airboat activity all day on those days I mentioned. So keep posting I need more to show the commissioners.
Thanks

Canes
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Canes »

We are local residents and use Okeetantie pond area boat launch several times a week. It is the only airboat ramp that we like to use as you can dry launch your boat easily. Our airboat club uses that area for many fundraising, non-profit, activities as well as youth activities. It would be a shame to have it taken away from all the airboaters and fishermen that use it on a year round basis. PLEASE leave it as it is. Thanks!!!!

FROGMOSS
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by FROGMOSS »

2013-Agency Award-Okeechobee County Commission- for four years straight, the commissioners of Okeechobee County have set an example of how a county should promote public use of their lands. Okeechobee County has always given full support to FAA Unity Weekend. This year, April 25th, Joey Hoover, 1st Vice Chair of Okee Board of Commissioners, signed a proclamation declaring Okeechobee County an Airboat Friendly County. What a difference and election can make..... The new Okeechobee County Board of Commissioner are determined to take away our airboat access to Lake Okeechobee and turn OkeeTantie into an RV resort. This will not only affect airboaters but everyone who uses OkeeTantie now or in the future. Once it is given away to developers it will be gone for good. There will be no getting it back! I am NOT ready to throw in the towel and give up, let them take the present RV sites and develop that, why can't they make a public use area for the locals on the east side. We can either let them do what they want or we can stand up to them. I choose to stand up, we have lost too much of our public land. You either stand for something or you will fall for anything!!!!! Sn

FROGMOSS
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by FROGMOSS »

You need to move this to Airboat Talk where more people will see it, just sayin.

blow boat
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by blow boat »

That's where I put in, I'm 45 min away
Would hate to loose it !! If you would
Keep us posted as to what there up 2
Thanx for getting the word out....

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DuckNutt »

Bring to the fight the gas station owners, the bait shops, the restaurants, and all of the other local joints that routinely get our business every weekend. The airboaters are here year round, the RV lots - well they're already emptying out until November...

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DuckNutt »

The politicians will always go "with the money", that's why the business owners will have more pull than us users. If you get each one of the businesses around there to contact the commissioners along with the local users you will win this fight once and for all.

Return to “Hunting & Fishing”