I may frog in the morn

Stories, places to go, techniques, equipment, etc..
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

I may frog in the morn

Post by newoldglory »

The water is going down and the frogging is getting better. I'll get up around 12 and work east first then north. I expect the frogging to be good this year so I will be up grading my chute and bag. I will post some pics when I get to it. :toothy7:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: I may frog in the morn

Post by newoldglory »

Sweet- sour-sweet. I left camp at 1:00 am. I only saw a frog at maybe each mile. I knew that I had made a bad decision by going out so early. I stopped at one of the camps and laid up for an hour. By then, the moon was on the horizon and I started to see small frogs. That means that I am too early but the action progressed rapidly. The magic hour was 5:00 am. I wound up with a large bag of frogs but then I made the mistake of killing my engine to put away the gig and light.---- "dead battery".--- I thought "that's OK, I"ve got my pocket jump start". The battery was very dead and the engine was hot. My first try resulted in the starter locking in because of low voltage and I scrambled to get a wrench to remove the battery cable. Now the battery is even deader and I have used up the prime voltage from my jump starter. I pulled the prop through a couple of times to locate my weakest cylinder for the next attempt. I waited 20 minutes before trying again to let the engine cool and the jumper to build up the battery. After 3 try's, the engine spun over and I turned on the mags to crank. (When the engine is hot, I leave the switches off until the engine spins and the turn the switches on to crank) The battery was still too weak to pull the engine through and the impulse mag kicked the engine backward. Now, my jump start is weak. Time to call for back up. My first two calls were unanswered. I waited another 20 minutes and pulled the prop thru to locate the weakest cylinder for the final attempt. I'm sure that it was the last spark in the jumper but the engine came alive. :cheers: I was 30 minutes from camp and in 20 minutes I was at the camp!!!
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

zrackers
Southern Airboat Member

Re: I may frog in the morn

Post by zrackers »

Oklahoma airboa ter here planning to come run the swamps when I pick up my new rig from alumitech next month. Love your stories and would love to possibly visit your camp and see this way of life. Never even saw an airboat in person until I bought my panther hull and built it up. Now I'm hooked.

Return to “Hunting & Fishing”