very few frogs and less people 2A

Stories, places to go, techniques, equipment, etc..
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

very few frogs and less people 2A

Postby newoldglory » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:00 am

I had time to kill and decided to do an early frog last night. I hadn't been east lately so I headed that way knowing that it may not be productive but then I didn't want a lot of frogs to clean when I got back to camp. I was out less than 2 hours and managed to come back by 8:30 with less than 6 pounds of legs. Frogs were few and far between and people were even more scarce. To my surprise, I only saw one other boat and no one at the other camps. :scratch: Normally, the east side is loaded with weekenders. As I pasted the "Coop" I worked my way further east and then north. As the water drops or rises, the surroundings that you were familiar with can change dramatically. As the water goes down, the grass seems to grow much taller and as it drops, the grass seems to die off. The grass actually stays the same, it's just that you are sitting higher or lower with the water table. Well, me being confident, I got careless and ventured too far into the cattails and willows and found myself in a very uncomfortable situation. :slap: I was too stupid to turn back and find another route thinking that I would find water at any second. :roll: The cattails were so high that I could no longer see the lights on the Sawgrass expressway. Apparently I had turned north and ran up through the middle of that ridge. Very fortunately for me, I had a very good boat that eventually brought me out to the Wiles Rd trail. :oops: I worked my way around some of the camps and then back home. That first beer sure was good. :cheers:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Re: very few frogs and less people 2A

Postby scrambletown » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:26 am

the first beer was good-----butt its the 21 first beer that got you lost
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
just ribbin ya GEROLD...........
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

Birddog247
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Birddog247 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:41 am

Very few boats indeed! There was only one truck at the ramp when we put in around 8:00. Never even seen another light all night. Back on the trailer around 5:00 am with about 15lbs.
12ft Palm Beach
stock 350sbc
2.1 gear/80"NGR

"Save a tree; eat a beaver"!

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby newoldglory » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:04 pm

Birddog247 wrote:Very few boats indeed! There was only one truck at the ramp when we put in around 8:00. Never even seen another light all night. Back on the trailer around 5:00 am with about 15lbs.

Was that you in the east at 7:30 ish? Or maybe it was the other truck you saw at the ramp. :scratch:

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby newoldglory » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:11 pm

scrambletown wrote:the first beer was good-----butt its the 21 first beer that got you lost
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
just ribbin ya GEROLD...........

Dang "scram"!!! I didn't see you sitting under that tree. :oops: I'll have to start wearing cloths and not swear so much when I think I am alone. :slap:

Birddog247
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Birddog247 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:31 pm

newoldglory wrote:
Birddog247 wrote:Very few boats indeed! There was only one truck at the ramp when we put in around 8:00. Never even seen another light all night. Back on the trailer around 5:00 am with about 15lbs.

Was that you in the east at 7:30 ish? Or maybe it was the other truck you saw at the ramp. :scratch:

No we stayed west all night.
12ft Palm Beach
stock 350sbc
2.1 gear/80"NGR

eazy89
Southern Airboat Member

Postby eazy89 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:10 pm

Happens to the best of us. Gets the blood pumping when you loose direction and in the thick shit

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby flcracker9 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:56 am

Gerald, I was out there on the east side also, but with 2 other boats. There were several vehicles at the ramp when we pulled back in around 10pm. We did not see anyone at the camps, nor did we see another boat on the water. Only got a couple pounds of legs. We also took a bad route back to the ramp through the tall cattails, luckily we all made it through (the other 2 boats were DD Chevys).

Pat, no big frogs where we were, any size to the frogs you got on the west side?

Kevin
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

Birddog247
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Birddog247 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:48 am

flcracker9 wrote:Gerald, I was out there on the east side also, but with 2 other boats. There were several vehicles at the ramp when we pulled back in around 10pm. We did not see anyone at the camps, nor did we see another boat on the water. Only got a couple pounds of legs. We also took a bad route back to the ramp through the tall cattails, luckily we all made it through (the other 2 boats were DD Chevys).

Pat, no big frogs where we were, any size to the frogs you got on the west side?

Kevin

I haven't been out there since early November. Size were ok
12ft Palm Beach
stock 350sbc
2.1 gear/80"NGR

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby newoldglory » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:33 pm

I went out this morning and covered maybe 30 miles and came in with NO frogs in my bag. I saw 12 small ones the whole time . The water is VERY high and the frogs were wearing snorkels. Still no fish so beer is the best option. :roll:

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby flcracker9 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:48 pm

Wow, I don't feel so bad only getting 5 or 6lbs Sat night! Water is pretty high.
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

Return to “Hunting & Fishing”