GPS Chartplotters

Stories, places to go, techniques, equipment, etc..
GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

GPS Chartplotters

Post by GCRedfisher »

Guess I'm getting old! Had to put a set of reading glasses in the boat just to tie my dang jigs! Now I'm finding it harder to remember where my best fishing spots are as everything looks different every time I go out, depending on the tides.
Been looking at getting a GPS Chartplotter to assist me in this task and have found it impossible to choose the right one. Was wondering what others were using and how they like them. I'm looking for ease of operation, accurate tracking and most import, the ability to drop a waypoint without have to push 12 buttons and go through 7 screens! :angry5: I'd prefer something small, maybe a handheld but I'm open to permanent mounts too as long as I don't have to sell shop equipment to buy one! Any good reviews or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! :cheers:
Been There, Done That and Probably Broke It! If You Ain't Living On The Edge, Your Just Taking Up Space!

Whoever said "The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword" never encountered automatic weapons!

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: GPS Chartplotters

Post by farmboy »

A Garmin 547 would probably work well. I believe it's 5-6 inch screen. Don't know what your looking to spend but with this kind of stuff you definitely get what you pay for.
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy »

Sorry I just realized your looking for more of a handheld.
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat »

Everyone has their favorite brand. I've used several and ended up with Garmin handhelds and fixed mount. They have an easy menu and great GPS tracking. They are also located in Olathe KS and have great customer support.
Garmin has a $100 rebate on their echoMap units that ends today, Nov 8. It also has a sounder, if you need it.
I've bought from this company before and they are great. You can call or email Travis and he is a great source of technical information and will steer you in the right direction.
http://www.thehulltruth.com/semperfifis ... today.html
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by GCRedfisher »

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm waiting on Travis now to reply with what Garmin has to offer. :thumbleft:
Been There, Done That and Probably Broke It! If You Ain't Living On The Edge, Your Just Taking Up Space!

Whoever said "The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword" never encountered automatic weapons!

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

I have used a Garmin 76CSX for the last 8 years works great for our area. Only draw back is the small screen. I added a mount from Ram that works well.
Easy to mark a waypoint hit enter and hold for 3 seconds. I really dont need any more features just work like a little bit larger screen.

GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by GCRedfisher »

One Eyed Gator wrote:I have used a Garmin 76CSX for the last 8 years works great for our area. Only draw back is the small screen. I added a mount from Ram that works well.
Easy to mark a waypoint hit enter and hold for 3 seconds. I really dont need any more features just work like a little bit larger screen.
I was actually leaning towards that model, My buddy Turner uses the older 76 I think and it works great.
Thanks for the input.

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

Just remember you have to by the map for our area.

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg »

i got a garmin 650t this summer and lov it, mount it on the boat but easy to pop off and use in the car or as a hand held, lots of features and clarity. really a nice unit
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

Ol Yeller
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Ol Yeller »

Save your money and download the free "Skipper" app for your smart phone. It's free or $11 a year. I use the free one and have a satellite picture for a base map. Very easy to use and a thousand times better than any of the Garmins I have. Note, I have an iPhone so I can't vouch for androids.

GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by GCRedfisher »

I actually do use the a Navionics on my iPhone, problem is you can't see the screen in the sun, can't find any difusers that actually work!

Return to “Hunting & Fishing”