buck?

Stories, places to go, techniques, equipment, etc..
diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

buck?

Post by diamondback0320 »

Ok..I got 3 bucks on my property.. 2 of which been seeing for 2 seasons now,always on the game camera 90% of the time at night(all hrs) the 1 is a nice 8pt other is small Ibbelieve 6pt,no matter when or how long I sit I never c them..bait is always gone,I can sit till hr after dark or b in stand an hr b4 daylight & when i ccheck the camera their on it hr after Ieave or right b4 I get in stand b4 daylight & all in between.. Strange to me..I spray down b4 entering woods etc.,what can I do to draw them in daylight.. Buckbombs,drips or?

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: buck?

Post by kwanjangnihm »

Can you hunt any travel corridors leading to the feeder? Do you know where they bed at?

The only other time to see them is when there chasing does during the rut.

:rebel:
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

Hambone79
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Hambone79 »

If it was me I would try using a climber and reposition overlooking that stand. If possible us a different route moving to and from that setup. When you say bait what do you mean ? Feeder ? if so don’t have it go off at night only daylight hours. I have seen deer actually become dependent on feeders and not move at all like they would under normal feeding times. They knew where food was so they would wait until dark. I use buck bombs often but more as a cover sent not an attractant I have had good success with a sent dripper and make a mock scrape it drives them crazy knowing another deer is in the area. it only drips during the daylight hours so it seemed to make the other deer in the area look for them. Hope I could help a little or give you some ideas good luck.

gblack15
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gblack15 »

Hambone is correct. Set feeders for an hour before dark. Rest your stand and hunt on the solunar. Back off from your stand as far as you can comfortably shoot

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

All good tips so far. Them deer will pattern you, they know where stands are and when your in them.

Best advice I could offer is feed heavy, bring in the doe's and when they get hot (rut) the boys will be all over them.

If your not a kin to that method then your next best option would be the climber and break your patterns, maybe hunt mid day entering on a different path.

My best producing stand is the one I rarely sit!

The harder you push the more you stress, the less you see has been my experience.

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

I live on 10ac backed up to another 10 & across the front is private probably 200ac or better,feeding corn..1st yr feeding on the ground right behind the house..would c them every day all times with pigs & turkeys which I've harvested both,so Ithen got a feeder & set it to go off at 7:30am & 5pm they came to the feeder maybe 5 times & as iIwatched ffrom the house they were skittish of it & stopped coming around..so took it down, so I moved feeding spot probably 400yrds from house & am feeding on the ground again, my ladder stand had been there since last yr & I've moved it twice since 2wks b4 archery thinking that would help & rerouted my entry cpl different ways with same results,maybe I'll take my ladder up river.. Bring back my climber, set feeder & get a drip & try that,thanks for the help

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

I've got a few doe's here also

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

What can Ifeed that the coons wwon't eat,their killing me on corn..lol

Hambone79
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Hambone79 »

Only thing I have found for coons is the 22 express . they will eat everything . could try traps but you would have to deal with that everyday going in and out your hunting area best to leave them be , put enough food out for everyone or well give them the hot part of a 22 round

Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Hog Guts »

Coon leg traps work great but you need to check them every morning cause they will all be full. An IR or thermal night scope works really well too you can kill them all before they even know what's happening. Local laws may prevent this so check......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Yeah even tho I'm in bfe..I'm actually in city limits so kinda weiry bout shooting at nite..lol

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Although I do have a damn good gamo air rifle

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

try two walking out to the stand. you climb and then he walks back to the house. Back yard deer hunting?

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Don't think the come this close to back yard anymore cause Ihave a dog now!

clamped
Southern Airboat Member

Post by clamped »

You can save yourself a lot of hassle and just take a light and go at night

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Yeah that would put meat in the freezer, or I could hunt the river with bow of my boat too like alot of non hunting people do..lol,don't get me wrong I used to b an outlaw till I was in mid 30's but got tired of jail & fines..been trouble free for bout 15yrs & actually feels good & like my hunting rights & not gonna lose everything I got for a piece of meat..I'll do more homework, there not going anywhere!

gobblerD
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by gobblerD »

I had a small piece of property once that I had permission to hunt. Never saw any deer but they eat all the corn I put out no matter how much i spread.
I would park and walk in to my stand in the dark using a small light pointed down. Never saw a thing. I decided they just knew when I hunted and where smart enough to just stay hid till I left.

So I had my wife drop me off on an old fire trail on the opposite side of the property. I went in 3 hours early and no light. I snuck in real quiet and slow and finally found my stand. i climbed the tree and settled in with no noise . When the sun cracked there was a 7 pt standing in the trail 70 yards in front of me which I shot. I was sitting there thinking how awesome this move was when a 4 pt walked across the open pasture right to where the 7 had been. So I shot him. :cheers:
Smart deer need to tricked.

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece »

gobblerD wrote:I had a small piece of property once that I had permission to hunt. Never saw any deer but they eat all the corn I put out no matter how much i spread.
I would park and walk in to my stand in the dark using a small light pointed down. Never saw a thing. I decided they just knew when I hunted and where smart enough to just stay hid till I left.

So I had my wife drop me off on an old fire trail on the opposite side of the property. I went in 3 hours early and no light. I snuck in real quiet and slow and finally found my stand. i climbed the tree and settled in with no noise . When the sun cracked there was a 7 pt standing in the trail 70 yards in front of me which I shot. I was sitting there thinking how awesome this move was when a 4 pt walked across the open pasture right to where the 7 had been. So I shot him. :cheers:
Smart deer need to tricked.
Why do you think this tactic worked? I mean, there are so many variables at work here, it's almost impossible to think that just changing the way you come into a stand would do the trick. I've got a stand that I go in the EXACT same way every time and have killed plenty of nice bucks off of. This is no high fence ranch either, it's a regular hunting lease with buggies and dogs and you name it. I'm not trying to be smartazz, I'm really trying to learn to get better. What I'm suggesting is, what else could have helped in your situation. I think there is one thing that is unanimous when hunting deer, there are no absolutes. Again, not to sound like I'm discrediting you, I would just like to hear the explanation, or the reasoning for the change in your entry tactic. You have my interest piqued!

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x8' Diamondback 6.2 Pleasurecraft Marine Levitator 550 hp/2.37:1 Oxbox 80" JX Series Sensnich Prop

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DuckNutt »

Not impossible at all. I own a farm in Pike County Illinois for 20 years and I've witnessed those deer pattern me to knowing exactly what stand I will get it in by which parking spot I leave my truck at. Big deer pattern us more than we pattern them, and they're better at it. So I hung multiple stands and have multiple areas to park at and I constantly change everything up, from where I park to when I get in and out of stands. Of course I never get in a stand when the wind is not right and I've been cranking them ever since. You would be surprised at what moving a stand just 50 yards would do. I change trees every two years up there because I've noticed that if I don't I stop seeing big bucks.

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DuckNutt »

This deer is from last week, killed out of a stand that I moved about 30 yards from where it was the previous year. Guess where he was looking when I shot him?
Attachments
2015Deer(2).JPG

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece »

Nice, very good to know. How frequently do the deer where you're at (DuckNutt) experience humans?

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x8' Diamondback 6.2 Pleasurecraft Marine Levitator 550 hp/2.37:1 Oxbox 80" JX Series Sensnich Prop

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

Nice buck DuckNutt!! :thumbleft:

The last 2 seasons in GA I have changed it up as well and started hunting out of a climber exclusively. I must admit I have seen a lot more deer and many more bucks than in the past.
:rebel:
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DuckNutt »

Deuce, up there pretty much constant starting 1 October through January. I got this one mid November and when I gutted him he had a broad head (grim reaper) in his chest cavity so he had been whacked a few weeks before. Couldn't believe it was actually in his chest cavity and he was tough enough to survive it. Long story short. When I bought the place I started killing good bucks every year but after three or four years I stopped seeing bucks. What made me figure it out was I invited a buddy to hunt with me and I hung a new set (unproven) close to a regular stand and put him in the regular stand. Well a good buck came walking through and I watched that buck completely skirt around the other stand and my buddy which never saw him. The next year I changed every single stand site and instantly started seeing and killing good deer again. I'll move half of them anywhere from 30 to 100 yards every other year which means half of them are constantly changing which makes it harder for them to pattern me

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe »

I too have many stories how they pattern us. One of my favorites:

On of the places I like to hunt/camp is a public camp off an airboat trail. There is another camp about 1/2 mile away on a different trail that dead ends into the trail that goes there. For years I (and many others) had seen big buck tracks there. Right in the intersection of airboat trails! We would all park our boats in camp and walk out to hunt. Now the trail leads to a private fence which is where most guys hunt. They figured he was coming and going from there. I regularly sat where I could see that crossing and never saw anything. One day I parked at the other camp and was gonna hunt the fence line. As I walked it I saw doe tracks crossing, but the wind was wrong and I didn't see buck tracks. I did a big circle and got down wind. At this point I found myself on the trail going to my usual camp. I was walking the airboat trail to get back toward where I was gonna hunt. As I walked through the intersection... There he was!! He had been bedded right in the switch grass next to the trail. Since I parked at the other camp and was walking back with the wind in my favor, he wasn't expecting me and stood up. Bad move.. BANG!!

It appears he had been living in between the camps for years. When anyone would pull in to one or the other he knew where we parked and would slip down wind and wait us out. I can't imagine how many times me and others drove right past him. When we went to hunt he already had us pegged. Till the day I made an unknowing and perfect approach into his bedroom and suprised him. He was a mature 8 point 17" wide!!!
Mark 7:9

Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Hog Guts »

Yeah.... Like the ducks that pack the residential lakes/ponds only during duck season. They arrive just before it starts lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Hunting & Fishing”