Redfish Reports

Stories, places to go, techniques, equipment, etc..
barhopper
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Redfish Reports

Postby barhopper » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:29 pm

My brother in law wacked the trout on saturday. I couldn't make it but wished I had. Did you catch them
in the creeks?

Huntingwithahoyt
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Huntingwithahoyt » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:30 am

Yea in the creek still.......

GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby GCRedfisher » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:25 pm

Anybody been fishing out of Yankeetown this week? Any luck? Gonna try to go Monday or Tuesday and was just curious.
Been There, Done That and Probably Broke It! If You Ain't Living On The Edge, Your Just Taking Up Space!

Whoever said "The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword" never encountered automatic weapons!

Huntingwithahoyt
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Huntingwithahoyt » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:58 am

Buddy of mine went Friday and caught a bunch of reds...I'm going today....will let ya know how it went this eve..
Looks like it's gonna b great weather the next few days

Huntingwithahoyt
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Huntingwithahoyt » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:40 am

Not a great report......a few nice trout and a bunch of short reds on the outgoing, tide went slack and someone turned off the light switch!!!!!!!
Incoming wasn't all that big of a producer.....seemed like they were biting better near the mouth if the creeks, I should have spent more time there rather than further up the creeks. Probably should have stayed till high tide but it was already a long day, it did get gorgeous and the wind laid down later in the day!!!!!!
Looks like it will be a stellar week.....GOOD LUCK to those getting to go this week!

Huntingwithahoyt
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Huntingwithahoyt » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:13 pm

Anyone been?

barhopper
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby barhopper » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:35 pm

Nope not me. I was hoping to hear a report too. Been really busy in the bee yards.

GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby GCRedfisher » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:33 am

I haven't been either, was knocking on deaths door with bronchitis which turned into pneumonia, just got back home late yesterday so hopefully will be getting back at it by the first of the week.
Been There, Done That and Probably Broke It! If You Ain't Living On The Edge, Your Just Taking Up Space!

Whoever said "The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword" never encountered automatic weapons!

Huntingwithahoyt
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Huntingwithahoyt » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:24 am

GCRedfisher wrote:I haven't been either, was knocking on deaths door with bronchitis which turned into pneumonia, just got back home late yesterday so hopefully will be getting back at it by the first of the week.

Whoa!!!!!!!
That can be nazzzzzzty........glad you are better!!!!!
Turkeys are gobbling like mad men.....first one fired off at 603 this morning, 8 days and a wake up....feathers and fins days right around the corner!!!!!
Or how about " can't stop the flop" gobblers and fish!!!!!

Huntingwithahoyt
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Huntingwithahoyt » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:11 pm

Anybody been?

barhopper
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby barhopper » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:40 pm

Not me. I have cranked the boat in a month and a half. How's the turkey hunting? I've been seeing some nice gobblers along the roads in the nw part of the county.

josh_2562
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby josh_2562 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:26 pm

Went out of yankeetown today from 10am-3pm caught 16 red fish only two under slot size.

Huntingwithahoyt
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Huntingwithahoyt » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:39 am

^^^^wow!!!!!!! That's awesome!!!!!
Outside points? Shrimp? Incoming or outgoing?

Huntingwithahoyt
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Huntingwithahoyt » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:40 am

barhopper wrote:Not me. I have cranked the boat in a month and a half. How's the turkey hunting? I've been seeing some nice gobblers along the roads in the nw part of the county.

Turkey hunting has been phenomenal!!!!!!
Great year so far.........Image

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Postby One Eyed Gator » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:17 pm

We fished the waccassasa North on sat and south on sun caught limit of trout and reds in two boats sat and sunday caught a few trout but limited out in reds all 25-27 caught a few. Also caught a nice flounder on sunday. Definitely had to hunt for them but when we found them it was on.

On sat we caught a few over slot fish as well. I had my buddies 82 year old dad on my boat both days he boated a 30" and 32" on said it was one of the best days he has ever fished. He and I had a blast I hope I can get around an airboat the way he did, already having trouble some days, lol.

Was very windy and rough both day. sat was 2' rollers with a wind chop on top, that was an interesting ride back to the river.

Sat most were caught on cut bait and sunday was shrimp. would really hit a gulp either day.

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Postby One Eyed Gator » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:22 pm

FWC brain trust is at it again, it seems they just reduced the bag limit on redfish in the NW region from 2 to 1 per person per day. Reading the information from the redfish assessment presentation it shows the escapement rate well above the 40% min they set. It also shows the rate worse in the NE region but they left the daily limit at 2 per person and are considering lower that limit as well. This change starts on May 1st according to the FWC email I received. Please see the copy and pasted email below.
Funny thing is where I fish the fishing has gotten much better over the past 5 years. On top of the you can the out come whatever you need to statically by slightly changing you sample.

Really just ticks me off.

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission

(Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.)

April 14, 2016

Suggested Tweet: Red drum bag limit lowered to 1 fish in northwest Florida starting May 1 https://content.govdelivery.com/account ... ns/1432fec #Florida #fishing

Red drum bag limit lowered to 1 fish in northwest Florida starting May 1

At its April 13 meeting in Jupiter, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) approved a measure to lower the recreational red drum daily bag limit in the northwest red drum management zone (Escambia County through Fred Howard Park near Pasco County) from two fish to one fish per person.

This change will go into effect Sunday, May 1. The daily bag limit is also one in the southwest management zone, which means after this change is effective, the daily bag limit will be one red drum per person, per day in all Gulf of Mexico state waters.

All other red drum regulations remain the same, including the eight fish vessel limit and six fish per person transport limit.

These changes come as the result of stakeholder concerns that red drum populations have declined in some parts of the Panhandle region of northwest Florida since 2013, the final year of data included in the most recent stock assessment.

“The action of the Commission reflects the recreational and economic significance of the red drum fishery, as well as the value of stakeholder input in fisheries management,” said FWC Commissioner Charles W. Roberts III.

Staff have been gathering public input from anglers to better determine what is being seen in their local areas via a statewide online survey, the FWC Red Drum Forum Facebook page, and by talking with anglers at fishing club meetings, boat shows, tackle shops and dockside angler intercepts.

Staff are also collecting public input in the northeast region of Florida, where stock assessment population estimates indicate numbers may have seen a decline at the conclusion of the assessment period (2013). The stock is still exceeding management goals in that area.

The Commission will consider whether to continue the reduced bag limit in northwest Florida and whether any changes are needed in northeast Florida at the June 2016 meeting in Apalachicola. Staff will also continue to gather public input on red drum populations in northeast and northwest Florida, as well as across the state through the end of May.

Take our survey today at MyFWC.com/RedDrum2016.

barhopper
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby barhopper » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:11 pm

That's ********! I've been fishing in the Yankeetown area for over 30 years. The fishing has been the same for about all that time. Even when it was closed we still caught and released as many as we could stand.

GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby GCRedfisher » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:13 am

http://myfwc.com/media/3407380/Red%20Dr ... bsized.jpg

If they're not "overfished "and they are 'exceeding the 40% escapement , why the hell lower the daily bag limit.
I'm a true fish eater! I'll cook fish 3-4 times a week and these are my favorite, but it's gonna hurt the ole wallet more than the stomach! It was bad enough that it cost an average of 100 bucks just to go fishing for 2 fish limits, now it's only a 1 fish limit , FWC may see a decline in anglers all together! Less anglers equals less tax money, which will equall pissed of Democrats who want their tax money.
Something tells me that this will not last long term, at least I hope so..........

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:20 am

FWC doesn't care if you go or not. I fact they like it better if your not there.

Huntingwithahoyt
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Huntingwithahoyt » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:01 am

Anybody been?

GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby GCRedfisher » Sun May 01, 2016 7:57 pm

Had the pleasure of being asked by Curtis Robinson (unforgiven11b on here) to fish out of his new bay boat this past Friday. We took him out Cedar Key and absolutely slayed the trout. Had our 3 man limit by noon and caught and released til 4pm. The keepers were all upper slot, healthy fish with no worms at all :cheers: it was the best day fishing for trout I've had in quite a few years . We fished entirely with 3" gulp shrimp and had the best catches on the pearl white/chartreuse tail, nuclear chicken and lime tigers.
It was a pleasure for us old timers to give pointers and show someone who has a true passion for fishing what to look for and be able to put him on the fish. Thanks again Curtis for asking us. ( don't forget to get that landing net) the new boat is awesome and I'm sure you and your family will enjoy it for many years to come. :salute: :old_glory:

unforgiven11B
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby unforgiven11B » Mon May 02, 2016 8:10 pm

Heading back out in the morning weather is supposed to get crappy around 10-11 but going to give it hell anyway. Picked up that net you showed me so the net issues are solved!!!! I'll let y'all know how I did tomorrow as soon as I get off the water. As always Ed it was a pleasure fishing with you and hope we can make this a routine when work cooperates with you. The knowledge and experience you have shared with me is priceless to me and is very much appreciated.
2007 16x8 DiamondBack 6.0L PCM 2:1 Ch3 Belt drive 80.25" 3 Blade Sensenich K series-

unforgiven11B
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby unforgiven11B » Sat May 07, 2016 3:19 pm

Went out Tuesday man was it windy!!! Got 6 good trout one was 22". Still trying to find the Reds was told a place to start so when I get out of the hospital and can walk again I'll head back out and try to locate them. We only used gulp Tuesday so I say not bad we had steady action just a lot of under slot
2007 16x8 DiamondBack 6.0L PCM 2:1 Ch3 Belt drive 80.25" 3 Blade Sensenich K series-

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Postby One Eyed Gator » Mon May 23, 2016 8:15 am

Fished sat and sun morning

Water was fairly clear away from the river. Very slow only caught a few reds. Had my buddies 82 yr old dad with me again. I sure hope I can get around as him at 82. we caught maybe 10 all small. Kept a 21 and 25.5" Windy on sat and kind of rough coming back after the wind changed direction. Was only a fish or 2 in each hole. Tide went out quick with the offshore wind. Only place we found them was where they were stuck in a deeper hole. Did some exploring in the afternoon down south and found a few new spots. Sun morning.

Went south again caught a few sorts and 2 17" trout. Kind of slow and sure got hot when wind turned. Did hear they were doing good on the trout out in front of 11 prong in 3-4' of water. But was a little rougher then I wanted to chance so we spent both day in and around the creeks.

Not the best day but better than sitting on the couch.

Huntingwithahoyt
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Huntingwithahoyt » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:44 am

Anybody been? I hear reds are biting again?

Return to “Hunting & Fishing”