Frogs are between a rock and a hard place

Stories, places to go, techniques, equipment, etc..
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Frogs are between a rock and a hard place

Post by newoldglory »

Here in the glades, the water is devastating for many animals AND frogs. As the water came down from the north along with the rains here, the frogging has come to a halt. A friend of mine went down to area 4 a week ago and did not see even a set of eyes. I went out here about the same time with the same results. :scratch: I was able to get into some frogs this morning and their stomachs were empty for the most part. It's good to see crawfish in them and small fish. :toothy7: It's not unusual to see small frogs in them but I've never seen whole apple snails in them. Shell and all. :shock: 3 frogs had snails in them 7/8 " in diameter. Now that is hard times! I have to wonder if they can dig or burp the shell out or if it will plug them up and kill them. :dontknow:

:proud: :old_glory: :usa: :florida: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

AceNtheHole
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Frogs are between a rock and a hard place

Post by AceNtheHole »

Yum Yum.... apple flavored frogs............. :wink:

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S »

Gerald I have cleaned a few with snails a couple years ago in frogs from 3B. Same thing, non of the frogs had anything in their stomachs and we were throwing away really big frogs because they were nothing but skin and bones. You couldn't eat them it was like chewing leather. I believe the frog will eventually digest the snail.

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by skinnypockets »

"It's not unusual to see small frogs in them but I've never seen whole apple snails in them. Shell and all. :shock: 3 frogs had snails in them 7/8 " in diameter. Now that is hard times! I have to wonder if they can dig or burp the shell out or if it will plug them up and kill them. " :dontknow:

Those had to be the young inexperienced frogs. I'm sure any frog that ever had to "pass" a 7/8 inch snail would never swallow another one! OUCH, that hurt! :kermit: :bootyshake:

:rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive

SteveReid
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by SteveReid »

Just hang in there froggers. When Trump gets in office we will win with frogs again!! He loves frogs, frogs are beautiful. We're going to win big with big beautiful frogs. FROGGING WILL BE GREAT AGAIN!!!
IMAGE2.gif
IMAGE2.gif (26.13 KiB) Viewed 2577 times

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown »

if he get's in that's going to be the only way your going to eat.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete »

frogs eat just about anything. i have found snakes and birds and all kinds of stuff in their bellies.

i had a good trip earlier this week. around here they will slap you silly at the local gas station for even saying the word frog. lol

by the time they go to spawn in april/may, there ain't many left.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S »

jopete I heard you can't gig frogs in La. Is that true or was someone pulling my gig?

davemotes
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by davemotes »

[quote="Gary S"]jopete I heard you can't gig frogs in La. Is that true or was someone pulling my gig?[/quote]

I was told the same thing when I was there. They said its inhuman. But it's ok to shot a gator 20 times with a 22? :scratch:

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S »

davemotes wrote:
Gary S wrote:jopete I heard you can't gig frogs in La. Is that true or was someone pulling my gig?
I was told the same thing when I was there. They said its inhuman. But it's ok to shot a gator 20 times with a 22? :scratch:
Or catch them on a set line.

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete »

it used to be you couldn't break the skin on a frog, so u had to use them old 'grabber' style gigs.

law was changed years ago. u can hand grab. gig, or shoot them with a bazooka if u want to.

when i can't hand grab them, i am a fan of those gigs with the 4 straighten-ed out hooks. they are great!!

Return to “Hunting & Fishing”