Smith & Wesson AR15-22 BANNED NRA event

Stories, places to go, techniques, equipment, etc..
SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Smith & Wesson AR15-22 BANNED NRA event

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:23 am

Just a heads up to anyone who is using a S&W AR15 - 22 semi-auto rifle.

It is being reported that on numerous occasions NRA range safety officers and instructors have witnessed guns fire prior to going into battery or "run away" fire where they go into a full auto cycle uncontrollably.

In the name of safety I am sharing a story where the "APPLESEED" NRA program has banned this gun due to safety concerns.

http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/09/15 ... ischarges/

406 JAMIE
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Smith & Wesson AR15-22 BANNED NRA event

Postby 406 JAMIE » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:08 am

ty for sharing sir great tread. :thumbleft: :rebel: :rebel:
Melbourne Mud Mafia Down And Dirty

OTTER
Southern Airboat Member

Postby OTTER » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:03 pm

Have seen this with my own eyes on our range.... Gun loaded, trigger pulled and empty out the mag in a full auto fashion.
Have also got it to misfire several times and had fail to eject issues. Using Top Shelf CCI ammunition. It truly hates Remington soft lead tipped ammo.. Its as it almost needs a forward assist to put it into battery.
With safety off and round chambered we have slapped the butt stock hard enough to fire a round without the trigger being pulled....

Reminds me of the Ithaca 37 shotguns

Be careful out there. :salute: :old_glory:

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:15 am

Be interesting to hear what Smith has to say about this. Pretty hard to get over this even if they do come up with a fix. Smart says drop the product line and do a massive recall on all guns out there.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby AirRanger » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:14 am

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:02 pm

A backed out pin may be one of the problems that platform has but it ain't the only problem!

Time will tell just making everyone aware.

When the NRA programs ban a particular gun it's telling.

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby HuntingBigun » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:28 pm

Banned them after one of their volunteers instructors fixed the gun and gave it back then it malfunctioned :roll: lot more to this than it appears, never had any issues with mine and have shot thousands rounds thru it but I do clean mine lol, always be careful with semi auto any can fire when you least expect it
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

http://krvsa.com/product/airboat-raffle-tickets/

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:46 pm

Article I posted had 5 incidents to include a UD that struck a female shooter.

No dog in the fight, I don't own a S&W MP22 but I can tell you no way I would hand one to a kid to use. The run away gun defect alarms me.

The old Ruger 10-22 is the way to go for a semi-auto youth gun they aren't cool looking but they are safe.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:47 pm

HuntingBigun wrote:Banned them after one of their volunteers instructors fixed the gun and gave it back then it malfunctioned :roll: lot more to this than it appears, never had any issues with mine and have shot thousands rounds thru it but I do clean mine lol, always be careful with semi auto any can fire when you least expect it

I agree ...... there's more to this story than what's been reported. S&W doesn't build no junk, but there a lot of folks out there (anti-gun) who would like to see them fall.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:51 pm

S&W didn't pass the Army testing for the adaptive combat pistol. The M&P pistol was just eliminated...sad
They were the first of the finalists to get rejected. No U.S. manufacturer is left now only foreign pistols remain.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/army-reje ... th-wesson/

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby HuntingBigun » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:59 pm

It is funny I have a Ruger mini 14 that I bought back early 80's and then someone gave me a new last year, night and day difference fit and finish with older one much better, same for 10/22 have old one from 90,s won a new one at raffle dang same to see the quality drop.................... everyone spend $$$ on AR platform guns the rest are getting scraps from what I seen lately.
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

http://krvsa.com/product/airboat-raffle-tickets/

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby AirRanger » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:52 pm

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:S&W didn't pass the Army testing for the adaptive combat pistol. The M&P pistol was just eliminated...sad
They were the first of the finalists to get rejected. No U.S. manufacturer is left now only foreign pistols remain.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/army-reje ... th-wesson/

To bad I have complete trust with my M&P's in fact I have two more on my wish list.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:03 am

BigUN those Mini14's are a great gun they are real reliable just stick with factory magazines. The newer guns have improved accuracy from what I have seen. Over the years Ruger has used different twist rates and lands so we find like any rifle you have to put a little effort in ammo selection to improve your grouping. My truck gun is a scoped stainless ranch rifle.

As far as the M&P pistols go seeing them get dropped so early came as a surprise as they partnered with General Dynamic. If your looking for a full size shooter check BudsGuns online they had all the Detroit PD guns come back. New unissued with night sights and 3 mags were $369 shipped free the issued pistols were $319 with free shipping. Most of the used guns were like new except for the academy guns which saw a lot of abuse in training.

I love the M&P "Shield" as a carry pistol, 8 rounds of 40 cal in a highly compact platform...its the shizt!

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Waterthunder » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:27 am

I have owned the same MINI14 since I was in elementary school. I love that gun I can drive tacks with her. I prefer it over my Colt match competition HBar anyday. I have a MP too an to be honest its kinda of a abuse gun, Meaning I let my buddies shot it. I will say I'm not impressed with the fit an finish but it is also a lower level cost gun. I will say my Mini14 has never once cycled improperly, jammed, miss fired or anything short of 100% reliability for over 30 years. I love the bolt design of the mini it's big brother is pretty sweet too.
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:55 pm

Waterthunder wrote: I will say my Mini14 has never once cycled improperly, jammed, miss fired or anything short of 100% reliability for over 30 years. I love the bolt design of the mini it's big brother is pretty sweet too.

I know what you're sayin, Dave. I have an 1100 Remington LT20 shotgun I've had for 30 years. I was in a gun shop recently and looked at a new 1100. The fit and finish wasn't even close.
I like Ruger .... had a Ruger varmint rifle that would give you a headshot on a groundhog no problem at 150 yds., and I like their handguns too.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:02 am

Olf about the only thing that is gonna break on that old 1100 shotgun is a $2 part called the barrel seal. It is a Viton O-Ring that seals the gas system and an easy install. When duck hunting we always carried a spare in the gear bag. I suggest you order up a few and put them away. The new magnum loads made today tend to stress them a bit.

Cherpa
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Cherpa » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:13 am

Hey Ken, don't worry about that O-ring. Just give me that 1100 and I'll take care of it for you.
We grow too soon old and too late smart.

SteveReid
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Postby SteveReid » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:11 am

Olf Art wrote:
Waterthunder wrote: I will say my Mini14 has never once cycled improperly, jammed, miss fired or anything short of 100% reliability for over 30 years. I love the bolt design of the mini it's big brother is pretty sweet too.

I know what you're sayin, Dave. I have an 1100 Remington LT20 shotgun I've had for 30 years. I was in a gun shop recently and looked at a new 1100. The fit and finish wasn't even close.
I like Ruger .... had a Ruger varmint rifle that would give you a headshot on a groundhog no problem at 150 yds., and I like their handguns too.

I have a 1100 XLT 20 ga, 3" Magnum with a 28" full choke plus an improved cylinder with a scope on it for deer hunting. I've killed no less than 20 deer with it, I hunted for years with it at Fort Knox, Great gun and I've had it since 1978. I've Grouse, Quail, Rabbit, Squirrel plus even Pheasant hunted with it and it's still in great shape and hasn't been fired in 15 years. I also have a Ruger single 6 my first wife bought me for Christmas in 1968. At that time I was shooting it in competition at our gun and hunting club.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:42 pm

Cherpa wrote:Hey Ken, don't worry about that O-ring. Just give me that 1100 and I'll take care of it for you.

Paul, if it came down to a choice between that old 20 ga. or Vivian, she might be in trouble.

That said, I think 'blackpowderscout' has already picked out a spot for it in his gun safe for when I fall off the perch. :) :)

Return to “Hunting & Fishing”