Saving The Turtles

Stories, places to go, techniques, equipment, etc..
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Saving The Turtles

Post by newoldglory » Mon May 28, 2018 5:30 pm

I'm still into "Saving The Turtles". The season is in full swing but once again the rain is devastating. Last year, I had to dig ALL the lairs and place the eggs in incubators. Many turtles did not lay here. Of the ones that did, their eggs were doomed to drown. In 2016, I had well over a hundred lairs. In 2017, I only had 54. None of the eggs would have survived if I had not dug the eggs and placed them in incubators. I released 543 live turtles by lending a helping hand. I do this on my own as it is one of my projects to keep me young. Others, that would like to help cannot because they need to be here to do so. This season is going to be devastating as well. I have already dug more than 20 lairs that I found to be under water. I've had a busy weekend and the turtles have had to wait. Every one is gone now and I have seen at least 3 turtles come in to lay already and more coming in. I just went out to look around and don't see where any have laid yet. They at confused and are making a mess but have not laid yet. They are running out of time.
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Saving The Turtles

Post by Deano » Tue May 29, 2018 8:28 am

You Sir, are to be commended for your efforts. In this regard, it's a shame that you are so far off the beaten path.
There are many persons (Boy Scouts, first come to mind) that could and would benefit from your knowledge, were they able to participate and help you with your cause.

I have followed your endeavors pertaining to this for a long time, and wish you the nest of luck with your current efforts. Thanks for reporting in. There are many others of us interested in, and who follow your cause that are simply unable to be there to help. God Speed & Good Luck.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Mikeryjojo
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Mikeryjojo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:55 am

Just came across this thread. Hope it wouldn't be too late to wish you sir good luck!

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:36 am

send that to every FWC commissioner,NPS big wig, and ACOE Colonels...have them come help out and see what they are doing to the glades.
BTW nice work on your part.
I'll have my Manatee burger medium please...just say NObama

14x8 deckover FELBER 397ci.. HP ???..just stay back!!

LOHA is AHOL backwards

keys2pines
Southern Airboat Member

Post by keys2pines » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:02 pm

Awesome!
12x6'8" Taylor deckover, 383 DD, 72" Sensenich JM
Our keys house for rent, 10% off for SA members https://rentalsfloridakeys.com/view-uni ... /#image-10 :usa:

Return to “Hunting & Fishing”