New carb for 220 gpu

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
jinotown
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

New carb for 220 gpu

Post by jinotown »

I just rebuilt the top end on my 220 gpu and I would like to replace the old Holley carb. on it. What carb should I get and what are the best jets and power valve to get me close? The motor is stock with one mag.
13 1/2 Cottonmouth 520 Continental

SOUTHERNHOGDOG
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: New carb for 220 gpu

Post by SOUTHERNHOGDOG »

jinotown wrote:I just rebuilt the top end on my 220 gpu and I would like to replace the old Holley carb. on it. What carb should I get and what are the best jets and power valve to get me close? The motor is stock with one mag.
the zenith drilled out and polished up so it dont run lean at top best suited carb for this motor in my opinion but some like the holley 2 barrel 500 carbs not sure what jets they are runing some one might beable jump in and tell you jet size.
diamond back 15 foot high side 454 belt drive /12foot charley jones 220gpu looking for 0540 for this one

CONTINENTAL CRACKER
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by CONTINENTAL CRACKER »

i am with southern i liked the zenith way better than a holly 2 barrel on my motor. it seem to be more resposive and it had better fuel econ.
I WOULD RATHER PADDLE A CANOE THAN OWN A WATERPUMPER

MYDIXIEWRECKED
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by MYDIXIEWRECKED »

You have to have the right holley and it has to be correctly tuned... :D
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
"People sleep peaceably in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence ON THEIR BEHALF"

Lifetime member NRA
Owner camp 9 1/2 in beautiful 3A south, Everglades

Joe
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Joe »

You can get a brand new zenith from ducarr aviation,but there pricey. They also have used one`s and every part for em. Hell,ya can get a 220 crank from em for 350.00,can`t even look at one around here for that much
Compromise is for those that cant get it done!!

Equal rights for Southern Whites!

FP1201
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by FP1201 »

Two things:
A while back someone posted the "tips & tricks" for Zenith carbs, I sure would appreaciate it if they would post or link them again.

Check here for a NOS Zenith carb: http://saturnsurplus.com/aircraft/gpucarb.htm I've done business with these people before and they were more than fair. :wink:

Found it:http://southernairboat.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 60#p141560
Mother Nature plays to win, and if she doesn't get you, her bitch of a daughter Krama will.

huntnspots
Southern Airboat Member

Post by huntnspots »

I have just done the same thing. I have the Holley 500 2 barrel on top. I have found that the #73 main jets that came in it were way to lean. I have just put some # 78 in, now I need to run it to see if this is any better. Anyone else been able to dial one in yet to help us get closer?
Lifestyles of the People who have built and carry the Country!

dynaairglide
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dynaairglide »

I bought a carb and intake off the classifieds on this site. It was a Holley 450 cfm 4-barrel. I later learned it was originally sold as a marine carb. I did not work on the old Zenith, so I don't know what it would have run like on a rebuild/modification, but I wouldn't trade this Holley for anything else. The throttle response is unbelievable. No coughing or spitting. I talked to a mechanic who told me that the stock 220 asperates at 460 cfm, so this was a near perfect match. It does have a 50cc diaphragm to assist in a quick liftoff. I had to adjust my blades to bring the rpms down. Even with all the extra punch, I get a lot better gas milage. I know some men who have 650s on their 220, but don't know how they are set up.
Be American... Buy American!

Joe
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Joe »

If any of you guys need 220 parts here is the link to the place mentioned above. Take a minute to look over the current price sheet and then tyhink how much you have been paying for parts :shock: They will ship over nite so no more waiting a week or two 8)

http://www.dgsupply.com/Ducarra.html
Compromise is for those that cant get it done!!

Equal rights for Southern Whites!

jinotown
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by jinotown »

Thanks for all the great tips! I have a wideband O2 sensor setup for my race cars...might as well use it. It will be interesting to see how the old Holley measures out. We will see if I need a new one soon! The small 4bbl idea is interesting.
13 1/2 Cottonmouth 520 Continental

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”