Throttle cable routes on your holley?

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
fstfrd01
Southern Airboat Member

Throttle cable routes on your holley?

Post by fstfrd01 »

Put a 2bbl 500 on my 220. Im still going to use my wire cable for the throttle and was wondering how you all that use wire route it to the pedal. Reason I ask is the throttle rotates up at W/O which means my first roller needs to be higher than the carb. Cant seem to find a good spot to put the roller. tried looking through the pictures on the site here but couldnt find a good one.
Save a horse ride an Airboat

Larry
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Throttle cable routes on your holley?

Post by Larry »

This s a pic of my dad's setup. The carb is on so the float bowl is facing fowards and the cable is attached to the auto trans. kickdown bracket on the bottom of the throttle lever. We like this setup for the ease of working on the carb, the float bowl is much eaier the access facing front.

Larry

fstfrd01
Southern Airboat Member

Post by fstfrd01 »

mine is setup the same way as your dads but when i pull the throttle to WO it actually swings up...if i rigged it like in the pic, the throttle wouldnt reach full travel.

I think i will post a pic in the morning but im taking suggestions all night :mrgreen:

broncobill
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by broncobill »

If you have some hard bends try using steel brake line to run cable through. Or any hose place like Mako hose and rubber can make you a cable.

MYDIXIEWRECKED
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by MYDIXIEWRECKED »

I used a pto throttle cable, I pulled the hard wire from it and fished my 300lb stainless leader wire thru it. I have it bolted in a bracket at both ends and it works great!
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
"People sleep peaceably in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence ON THEIR BEHALF"

Lifetime member NRA
Owner camp 9 1/2 in beautiful 3A south, Everglades

Larry
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Larry »

You are correct fstfrd. Now I remember his had the same problem so I built a bracket that brought the cable attatch point up and back to allow wide open. Forgot about that bit of info, sorry bout that.

dynaairglide
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dynaairglide »

I just installed the braided cable throttle set-up on my 220. I took a length of 5/16" SS tubing and bent a 90 at the top and one at the bottom. All it needed was a little kick up at the linkage. I did not use any pullies. I utilized a stud coming out of the engine to secure the tubing on the engine, and made an aluminum bracket for the engine stand. At the carb I used an intake stud for a short bracket to the tubing. The pedal is real smooth, and easy to push now. I had issues with the automotive style cable. It rubbed real hard on my manifold, and made the throttle hard to push.
Be American... Buy American!

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style »

Man, I agree with the tubing with the cable run thru it... Rollers scare me if a branch, bird...heck even a big grass hopper could wedge in there and then next thing you know, you have a cruze control you didn't know you had :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stinks when you let off the throttle and your boat stays at 2000rpm...
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

fstfrd01
Southern Airboat Member

Post by fstfrd01 »

can i get the ss tubing from home depot? im guessing because its a small diameter ill be able to bend it easily?

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style »

It will bend easily... and all you do is cut a piece of wood in the radius you want the pipe to be bent in. Slowly bend it around the piece of wood. That or just borrow a small pipe bender. Not hard to bend even by hand... But worth a million bucks when riding in the willows when branches are flying everywhere ( even with a cage !! ).. Good luck... :wink:
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

dynaairglide
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dynaairglide »

I had the tubing already. I don't know if the Depot sells it or not. We were gong to use a tubing bender on it, but it was easier to bend it by hand. I wanted sweeping bends, and the tubing bender made them a little too sharp. I also greased the cable up good as i was feeding it in. By the way... If you found a length of 1/4" tubing, it would probably work too. I just happened to have the 5/16" on hand. I used about 6' of it. That left about 4' of open cable under the seat stand, to the bottom of the the throttle pedal. The cable is called 1/16", but the SS leader that the above post mentioned would be great! I bought the cable at the Depot, but it is galvanized. They did not have that size in SS. If it continues to work as well as it does now, I'll change it to the stainless cable.
Be American... Buy American!

fstfrd01
Southern Airboat Member

Post by fstfrd01 »

im going to look into the tubing still but since i HAD to get out and ride today I needed it done so i used my rollers and figured something out

hmgm123
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by hmgm123 »

Where there is a will there is a way. :D

nomad41
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by nomad41 »

West marine sells the size cable you need is stainless steel.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nomad41/
Treasurer FAA
Member:FAA, KRVSA ,IRCAA, FSCA

My old boat 14.5x8 Diamondback ,SBC Stroker,2.68 Stinger,Sensenich 82" R
Svcliche@yahoo.com

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”