Stossel

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
Pas Bon
Southern Airboat Member

Stossel

Post by Pas Bon »

Who builds the closest thing to Stossel??? We run some old 14ft stossels with Lycomings and for a SW Lousiana wire grass marsh there is nothin we've found to do better. They just kinda float on top the grass. We have found that Klien boats are pretty close but it takes two years to get one. What say You?
383 2.3:1 3 Blade

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Stossel

Post by CactusJack »

Do you mean Stessyl, with the really huge chines? I have seen them over here, maybe they are different in the states.....

I looked at using one of their hulls, but I thought the chines would be too 'directional' not much of a 'play' boat?

I will see if I can find a link to the sight, see if they are the same thing, or if they are 2 different manufacturers :wink:

http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for ... p?de=25948

http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for ... p?de=50521

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/3m-Stessel-Punt- ... 8001r19765
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Still some stossel hulls floating around in FL. Might be able to come by one if you spend some time looking. They were popular in their day.

Scotty
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

MikeP
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by MikeP »

Nope he means Stossel. They call um palm beach style boats Cactus.

Geneva0550
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Geneva0550 »

Pas Bon wrote:Who builds the closest thing to Stossel??? We run some old 14ft stossels with Lycomings and for a SW Lousiana wire grass marsh there is nothin we've found to do better. They just kinda float on top the grass. We have found that Klien boats are pretty close but it takes two years to get one. What say You?
Give Al at performance airboats a call. He would be glad to let you take one for a ride.407-456-8831

pm planepower,he just had this one built and it only took a little over a month

What do you mean the waters low and it's too dry?...You got an airboat!...ACT LIKE IT!!!!

lil_armond
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by lil_armond »

Pas Bon,

PM me I have a buddy that is selling a Kline open hull with angle valve 0540 with composite prop you can probably pick it up for 10k and it comes with several spare parts as well. His wife is fighting cancer so he is selling everything he can to keep up with medical exspenses. We are located in Port Arthur, Texas not far from you.
''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
-- John Wayne

15' x 8' Alumitech w/ 84" 5 blade Superwide

lowdown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lowdown »

The other boats that are close to a Stossel that i now of is a Simpson . I think that jimmy hardy out of Okee FL is still building them. I'll find his # and try to post it.

jrlyles
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by jrlyles »

there are some people still building the "palm beach style hull' like little george arsenault.in wpb.but like dave howard said ,performance airboats in lake harney woods does a really nice job also. the owner is AL David and his work speaks for itself,Irun a palm beach hull and love it on skinny water and dry ground,in my opinion it does a very good job.I have driven Al's boats several times and find that they do an incredible job in the deep water as well as on dry ground or rank stuff.I would surely put his boats on the top of my list to try out,he's allways willing to let someone try his stuff to see for themselves,his turnaround time to build a hull is not very long either.good luck,give Al a call.
Junior Lyles
Volusia County Sportman's Conservation Association
Florida Airboat Association Member
Preach & lead singing at revival meetings on the side

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 »

Whitebear wrote: They were popular in their day.
Scotty
what you mean back in the day they still are :D

Pas Bon ,
you can find a used one now and then I think there are three (11',12", 13') in the classifieds now but I know what you mean about the wait I got a buddy who has been waiting two years now and his new hull an it still hasn't been started

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

BATTLE READY
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by BATTLE READY »

Here you go......

Its for sale...check it out....call with any questions
http://southernairboat.com/classifieds/ ... 880/cat/10

Rob

FrogNutz
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by FrogNutz »

Geneva0550 wrote:Give Al at performance airboats a call. He would be glad to let you take one for a ride.407-456-8831
I agree, Dave. This guy builds the nicest boats I've seen. I've already designed the one I want him to build for me. I'm just trying to get the money saved up. I am taking donations for the "Help FrogNutz Get a New Boat" fund, if anyone's interested. :D
"As an American I am not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials."--- Newt Gingrich

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

goldhunter_2 wrote:
Whitebear wrote: They were popular in their day.
Scotty
what you mean back in the day they still are :D

Pas Bon ,
you can find a used one now and then I think there are three (11',12", 13') in the classifieds now but I know what you mean about the wait I got a buddy who has been waiting two years now and his new hull an it still hasn't been started

When was the last Stossel built Gold?? I'm sure there are several folks still building WPB boats of course.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 »

scotty I couldn't answer when the last stossel was built but there still out running the marsh and still a very popular hull just look at this post of Pas Bon's he could buy any one of a number of new type hulls but he is asking for a stossel or as close as possible without klines long wait

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

BATTLE READY
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by BATTLE READY »

I think Mike Stossel still builds boats for himself and his friends, dont think he builds them to sell anymore. There are a few guys that worked with Stossel Boats back in the day that are carrying on the tradition of the West Palm Beach Style Boats. Same boat, same metal, same bottom, same quality workmanship, just not built by Stossel. Little George and Abner are the 2 guys that I know of and I think there are a few more.

Rob

Pas Bon
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Pas Bon »

Thank You All for your help! I work for a state agency and we have to put things out to for bid that's why I was asking. The problem we have with the boats we have left is a deterioration of the hull due to salt water and old age. Usually starts right where the side meets the front deck. We have moved towards custom built boats with automotives but for some applications you jsy can't beat a stossel. They are not the best for big water but in the marsh they're great. I'll check out some of your suggestions..Thanks Again.
383 2.3:1 3 Blade

BATTLE READY
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by BATTLE READY »

Pas Bon,

Post some pics of those "Classics" if you can. 8)

Also get with Jay at Panther Airboats, They have someone building them a riveted Palm Beach Style Boat that they rig out and sell to customer specs. They also do Govt work, so you should be good to go.

Rob

russ
Southern Airboat Member

Post by russ »

can help you with the stossel hull e-mail me at russell_g@ymail.com

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Welcome aboard Russ !

I did a double take and had to read that email address a couple times to decipher it correctly LOL !

Glad to see ya here.

Scotty

Ford
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Ford »

Boyd closed Airboat Engineering a few years ago , I was there right before he closed around 6 years ago and he just got done buliding a brand new one . I know Diamondback was buliding Stossel style boats for a bit they might still bulid them , Trevor bulids a nice palm beach boat very close to a Stossel , Ill sell my Stossel hull if the price is right :shock:
Hey Girl , Wanna go on a Airboat Ride ?

JUNIOR480
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JUNIOR480 »

wardaddy also builds a nice palm beach style hull.......
HAULIN A$$ SINCE 78......

Stossel Boats
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Stossel Boats »

:old_glory:
Stossel Airboats
The Origin of today's Palm Beach Hull
All others are copies or a mere facsimile there of
And that's a Fact

Stossel Boats
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Stossel Boats »

If you want a Stossel boat contact Mike stossel at 407-349-1002
Stossel Airboats
And that's a Fact

Stossel Boats
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Stossel Boats »

Make no mistake if it is not built by a Stossel to Stossel specs it is not a Stossel plain and simple what people call a palm beach hull today is actually a copy of a stossel because before Bob Stossel started building boats a palm beach hull looked completely differnent, it was an open boat with no decks with a galvinize bottom and aluminum sides with a big ol roll in the front on the bow I guess you have to be older to remember although Bob did bulid a few of those too in his younger days. any way I am trying to carry on the original tradition just like Bob used to build them.
Stossel Airboats
And that's a Fact

sidetracked
Southern Airboat Member

Post by sidetracked »

Legends in Riviera Beach Owned by Boyd Stossel 561-848-7790

jrlyles
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by jrlyles »

Boyd stossel is building again in riviera beach,Legend Airboats.doing nice work.give them a call.
Junior Lyles
Volusia County Sportman's Conservation Association
Florida Airboat Association Member
Preach & lead singing at revival meetings on the side

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”