im new and i need help

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
BotieRacing954
Southern Airboat Member

im new and i need help

Post by BotieRacing954 »

im new to this airboat stuff i thinking about getting a 11x7 with a lycoming 125 me and my dad will be the ones going out on it but i need your help is that a good motor i live in south florida and i want to do some hunting and stuff so please can you let me know thanks guys
13' laser project
hmgm123
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: im new and i need help

Post by hmgm123 »

A 125 is a great motor. I don't know what kind of shape yours is in, but in general it is very durable motor.

Geoff
4 pistons and a Prop
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by 4 pistons and a Prop »

If you are riding one person at a time, and only need to run the hill for short periods, have at it. I have two, one on a 10ft deckover, and one on a 10ft gilleo, both run the hill right fine, and I sometimes run two people and can still run the hill, just not without feeling like iam doggin it. Good luck, if you are unsure test ride it, if you are still unsure, save up and go bigger.
when in doubt power out.
BotieRacing954
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BotieRacing954 »

ok the fella told me it was rebuild and he said it runs dry great how is it on gas and i guess can u give me some outher general infomation about stuff he said it has a warp drive prop three blade is that good i dont know a thing about airboats but i would like to learn if you could thank ya
13' laser project
BotieRacing954
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BotieRacing954 »

well see the problum is i dont have to much money i just want to get this to maybe go hunting in the everglades and bring home some dinner you know also have some fun it is a aluminum hall is that good or what i need a lot of help here and dont call me stupid but when you say hill what do you meen like a dirt hill
13' laser project
hmgm123
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by hmgm123 »

Tell us exactly what your talking about boat wise. What kind of hull and what length is. Is it a single seater or what? Running the hill means running on dry land.
BotieRacing954
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BotieRacing954 »

2008 11'x 7' Triple W Airboat with a lycoming 125 and a three blade warp drive prop
13' laser project
hmgm123
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by hmgm123 »

That should OK with one person, keep away from the sticky dollar grass and black mud. On water it should be awsome.

GEOFF
4 pistons and a Prop
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by 4 pistons and a Prop »

I second GEOFF, and they are great on fuel. Aluminum hull- does it have polymer, or slick bottom. Either way it will do what you say you want to do.
when in doubt power out.
BotieRacing954
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BotieRacing954 »

ok is that a good hull and do you think i could carrie me and my dad or a buddy of mine
13' laser project
bushhawg
Southern Airboat Member

Post by bushhawg »

Sounds like a great starter boat to learn alot about airboating. Best education a man can get is experience. So what if you gotta get out and push? Growin up, Hell I thought that was how you went airboating!! Ride, then get stuck and push, then ride some more. Get with a group in your local area and introduce yourself. Airboaters are great folks and I havent meet one yet that would leave you in the woods if you was stuck or broke unless they went for help!!! 8)
WORK HARD PLAY HARDER!!!
BotieRacing954
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BotieRacing954 »

that sounds good i just dont know where to go with it to go hunting and froging i live in broward county Florida not to far from the everglades but i dont know where to put it in at and dont know where to go after i put it in the water
13' laser project
SWAMPCRACKER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SWAMPCRACKER »

Sounds like a good setup...that 125 with a 3 blade will push you and your dad around just fine...I'm from Broward county myself and there are plenty places to ride and put in at..You can put in and ride at Holiday park just gotta cross some canals to get to the grass like alot of other places...Theres also the Bombing range which is the area West of Markham Park on the North side of I595 You can put in at Sawgrass Recreational Park to ride in the Bombing Range and the Park entrance is on Hwy 27 just a couple miles north of I595 You also have Holeylands Where you can also ride and there's various boat ramps along Alligator Alley to put in at to ride the North side or South side of the alley which is Water Management area 3...Being new to Airboating I highly recommend not riding by yourself being that these areas have alot of trails that being unfamiliar with can result in you getting lost on and they're big areas so lots of room to get lost in...And before riding anywhere make sure you have a bright orange flag on your boat with life jackets for however many people are on the boat,fire extinguisher,cell phone extra gas,oil,water...just never know when you'll break down...I recommend attending the next Broward County airboat show which is usually march 21-22 at Bass Pro Shops and introduce yourself to some folks and make a date to meet up and ride with and they'll help you out and show you the way around the woods being that you're new to the airboating world...Hope this insight helps and welcome to the world of airboating...P.s-Remember your airboat motor which is an aircraft motor runs on " AVGAS " which is aviation fuel...Do not put regular unleaded gas in it like cars use...You can get avgas at North Perry airport which is on Pembroke Pines Blvd east of University Drive...or the Sunoco gas station on HWY27 and Sheridan Street not too sure what other gas stations carry avgas but i know those two places do
~ WAY DOWN SOUTH IN THE EVERGLADES ~
~ WHERE THE BLACK WATER ROLLS AND THE SAWGRASS WAVES ~
HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun »

Hook up with the a club and they will lead you to the promise land, lol (land of no money but good times) Broward Airboat Club is a super org so drop them a line. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

http://www.browardairboatclub.com/
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA
Muddyduck
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Muddyduck »

I recommend Area 2 for beginners. It is harder, though not impossible, to get lost there. Plus there are usually people at the camps out there if you get in trouble. The 125 is a great motor, for what it is. It will push that small boat a lot of places. Good thing about it is that you do stick it, you probably didn't get too far off the water. But don't be fooled, that motor has the potential to take you into some tough stuff. Right now is probably not the best time to be starting out. A lot of folks are doing more hunting than riding. I know you want to go hunting, but you will have better luck getting someone to help you out just riding and not following them to their honey hole. The wind is a big factor right now too. Join the Broward County Club, heck join AAOF, and any other area you might be interested in. After hunting season, you would have no trouble going to any of the places to put that were already listed, wait for a boat to come to the ramp and tell them you need some pointers. You are not going to find a more willing to help group than airboaters.

http://www.browardairboatclub.com/

The club is not meeting right now but will resume in January.
Many could live on what we have wasted.
BotieRacing954
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BotieRacing954 »

Thanks guys but do you guys think that is a nice setup
13' laser project
plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by plumcrazy »

i cut my teeth on a 125 and a 10 ft fanny taylor went every where in it but i only wieghed 120 back then but it never left me walkin or swimmin damn i loved that little boat 8)
hmgm123
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by hmgm123 »

plumcrazy wrote:i cut my teeth on a 125 and a 10 ft fanny taylor went every where in it but i only wieghed 120 back then but it never left me walkin or swimmin damn i loved that little boat 8)
Mine was 10ft grass hopper with a 125. Mine would take me just about anywhere. Sip gas to boot.

Geoff
yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee »

Botie it sounds like some of these guys are wondering why you dont have it already :lol:
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.
OLD MAN JONES
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by OLD MAN JONES »

Long as the motor is runnin up to par you'll be a satisfied airboater. Your set up sounds like it'll be a great lil boat, especially for a beginner. The other guys suggestions on spots are great, but you might want to try Macks. If you want to cut your teeth in a good learning spot, come on out to Mack's Fish Camp and learn the ropes of airboating here. You won't need sea tow, becouse someone is allways here with a boat if you get in trouble, we can get you out of it awful quick. Take Griffin, Sheridan or Pines to US 27 and go south to Krome ave south 1/2 mile and the ramp is on the right, look for the old knotty pine with the tattered flag at the top. :mrgreen:
LIVING FOR THE FUTURE OF OUR EVERGLADES..
WWW.MACKSFISHCAMP.COM A traditional cultural Gladesman property.
BotieRacing954
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BotieRacing954 »

thanks guys when i go out there is there any thing i should stay away from or not do or any thing like that
13' laser project

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”