Oil Pressure

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
E.TUCK75
Southern Airboat Member

Oil Pressure

Post by E.TUCK75 »

PLEASE!!!! I have a continental 220 groundpower punched out, after sitting up for a while I changed the oil and got it running again. After 4 or 5 hours on the lake, my oil pressure which usually starts at 60# and then drops to 40# when warm, suddenly dropped to 20#.
I checked and cleaned the oil regulator, cleaned oil screen, and some gunk but no metal shavings . Please HELP!!!!!

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Oil Pressure

Post by AirRanger »

Did you notice if you blew a bunch of oil after running for a few hours. Letting a 220 to sit up for an extended period of time will accelerate the pitting in the cylinders causing blow by. Loss of oil = Loss of pressure.

E.TUCK75
Southern Airboat Member

Post by E.TUCK75 »

No oil is good what i failed to mention earlier is that the oil comes up to 40# when i start but when it starts within 15 sec. drops
to 20 pounds this motor has 40 hrs. on it just worried about big problems and every thing but oil presser is good power,sound,temp

jb34974
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jb34974 »

does your oil cooler lines come out the prop end of the motor ?? if so i will bet you the rear main bearings are wearing out fast they will need replacing at 80 hours if you keep them hoses starving the rear main bearings. most people hook up them hosses not knowing it starves the bearing of oil.
you should hook up where the old cooler was mounted up top u have to drill and tap 1 hole and just tap the other 1. up there on drivers side of motor up top in rear. if you redo the oil lines you may save the engine now.
So shall it be as in the days of Noah and then the end.

4 pistons and a Prop
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by 4 pistons and a Prop »

I will probably get some flack for saying this, but if it were my motor running 20 psi. I would be fine, 20 psi is still enough for complete lubrication/cooling. JMO. I would only be concerned if it was say 40 psi for the last six months and now all of a sudden its only 20 psi.
when in doubt power out.

MYDIXIEWRECKED
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by MYDIXIEWRECKED »

I was told that the FAA will let a continental fly with 7psi! Don't know how true that is maybe a pilot will chime in...
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
"People sleep peaceably in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence ON THEIR BEHALF"

Lifetime member NRA
Owner camp 9 1/2 in beautiful 3A south, Everglades

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style »

I know the pilot/builder of my engine said that he would run the boat all the way down to about 10psi before I should worry... Now this may be for WATER running, not air... He said the engine will be fine at 10.. It will go back up as it gets thicker..
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by GMAC 76 »

same thing happened to a guy in our camp he put in a new oil pressure regulator spring and ball his pressure not only went back up to where it was but it stayed higher when the engine warmed up

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”