DID I ASK TOO MUCH????

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

DID I ASK TOO MUCH????

Post by GMAC 76 »

a fella brought a boat by the other day with mag problems ask if i could go thru them and get the boat running SO itook the mags out of the engine completely rebuilt them top to bottom front to back new parts included points condensers oil seals 1 dist gear and an impulse spring put a nice paint job on them installed them timed the engine and give it a test run all good when the guy showed up to pickup the boat i told him he owed me $250 the dude went ballestic on me said that was waaay to much for what i had done so we had a little UFC in the yard and sent him packing now i am not in business i am retired i just do some mag and carb work cause i enjoy it and gives me a little beer money what i need to know from other aircraft airboaters is was i out of line on the money i dont want to piss guys off and go thru this again its not worth the hassle and it takes to long to heal up now thanks for your imput good or bad

beyondhelp
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: DID I ASK TOO MUCH????

Post by beyondhelp »

GMAC 76 wrote:a fella brought a boat by the other day with mag problems ask if i could go thru them and get the boat running SO itook the mags out of the engine completely rebuilt them top to bottom front to back new parts included points condensers oil seals 1 dist gear and an impulse spring put a nice paint job on them installed them timed the engine and give it a test run all good when the guy showed up to pickup the boat i told him he owed me $250 the dude went ballestic on me said that was waaay to much for what i had done so we had a little UFC in the yard and sent him packing now i am not in business i am retired i just do some mag and carb work cause i enjoy it and gives me a little beer money what i need to know from other aircraft airboaters is was i out of line on the money i dont want to piss guys off and go thru this again its not worth the hassle and it takes to long to heal up now thanks for your imput good or bad

This is probably why I dont do side work much. I'm a computer guy and I always worry about this.

I think the key is communication. Maybe he had an idea of what it would cost and failed to discuss that with you. Either way, it's as much his responsibility to communicate his concerns before there's a problem. I have never touched a mag but to me it sounds like you spent some time on them and obviously you know more than I do. I'd rather pay an expert and know it's right in this case. I can't walk on water.

If I do side work from now on I have decided that I will over communicate every aspect of the job. I am tired of people thinking I am overcharging for "simple computer work" If they are in a hurry or are unreasonable, maybe they should go elsewhere.

My feeling is, if it was so simple, you'd have done it yourself. You called me and I value my free time.

retriever1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by retriever1 »

You said MAGS so I am assuming there were 2 mags,If I live closer to you, you could rebuild mine for that any time(dirt cheep)
A Dog Never Holds A Grudge

Champ18ft
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Champ18ft »

I paid 250 for 1 rebuilt mag and I had to install it. Not over charged. Just a price quote might have saved some hard feelings. JMO
13-5' Gilleo Lazer 0-540 A/V 74" Q
ImageImage

Swampthang
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Swampthang »

seems like a deal to me...i get this all the time also, working on cars.what i like to do is go to there work place and see what they will give you for free or what work you can get them to do for half what they want..makes me mad..people that dont want to pay,i would be getting my work back or parts involved.sucks the waisted time but i still feel better that they dident get what they wanted......its why we all have jobs,you do what ya can and pay someone else to do what you cant... id be happy that boat is running,pay the man and buy him a case of beer...people these days :shock:
12'by7'8" Alum Home Built Full Deck, GTSIO 520 GPU Conversion. NOS, Roller rockers, XDI Electronic ignition,72"NGH 2 blade.

mk1165
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by mk1165 »

i'm with retriever1,wished you lived closer to me,i'd pay that and hefty tip for that job.i used to work on trucks afterhours at the trucking company where i work.a lot of folks think because you are doing it as a side business you shouldn't charge much for the work.i only charge about half what a shop does because i'm working out of my pickup and some still gripe.i've learned to give a close ballpark figure for the work before i start so the customer has an idea of the cost.had a couple tell me that they can get it done down the street for less.told em by all means go down the street.one thing i learned a long time ago is that you will never please everybody all the time.

MYDIXIEWRECKED
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by MYDIXIEWRECKED »

Don't sound out of line to me... I do them for 150.00 each plus parts. I glass bead, alodine the cases and put in only what parts are needed. and paint them once assembled and tested. Install and time them too. I'll even hand prop your boat before you take it to prove it's timed right!!!
Last edited by MYDIXIEWRECKED on Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
"People sleep peaceably in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence ON THEIR BEHALF"

Lifetime member NRA
Owner camp 9 1/2 in beautiful 3A south, Everglades

rm220
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rm220 »

I do Air conditioning & Refrigeration If u do somebody a favor and give them to much of a break on price they will be the first ones to bi**h about everything. If it's an average everyday price you will probably never hear from them, I give people breaks all the time because i know its a tough economy. But to answer your question,that price is cheap you can do my mags anytime i paid 175 for 1 mag and had to put it on myself. Always post your price up front though to bypass any dissputes.

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style »

Buddy, I am on my way to your house !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 MAGS, REBUILT, PAINTED, INSTALLED........ :shock: :shock: :shock: ......... $250 ????? Damn good thing that you are not running a business !!! You would go under !!!! That is a SMOKIN' price for that !!! Brush it off and keep the "Airboaters helping Airboaters" attitude !! I am sure that you have alot more pleased customers than unhappy ones with those prices. Keep up the side job and enjoy it.. By the way, I wasnt kidding about headed to your house !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Qwikdiesel
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Qwikdiesel »

250 was a steal for him!!!!!! What a dumb AZZ!
Rule #1.. There Not Fake If You Can Touch Them!!

Ruagatr
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Ruagatr »

Agree this was a steal! We paid 250 bucks for a used ground power mag over thanksgiving...and we installed it and that was with a trade in. screw this guy andhis nonsense.

Maddog

pirate
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by pirate »

I agree with what others have said. Sounds like a very fair price to me. If I were you I'd post where I lived. Probably pick up some more work.
Compromise is failure on the installment plan.

SWAMPCRACKER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SWAMPCRACKER »

People these days I swear ! It was an ignorant move on the guys part to have not discussed a price that you could both settle on before starting the work ! If he had an issue on how much he was wanting to spend he should've spoke up before hand and not just assume that you were going to do it for close to free. I feel that is a really good price for the amount of time and work you put into it. Some people just don't appreciate some things ! If it was me you would've had a hefty tip and a case of beer on top of it...
~ WAY DOWN SOUTH IN THE EVERGLADES ~
~ WHERE THE BLACK WATER ROLLS AND THE SAWGRASS WAVES ~

swampdragon
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by swampdragon »

Don't let the cheep skate get to you that was more than a fair price. Keep helping your fellow airboaters and next time call for help don't take the lumps alone I garrentee some of use will be there to back you. GOOD JOB!

nomad41
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by nomad41 »

GMAC 76 If you would put in your profile where you are at you might get a little more work from guys that know a good deal when they see it.JMO Bob
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nomad41/
Treasurer FAA
Member:FAA, KRVSA ,IRCAA, FSCA

My old boat 14.5x8 Diamondback ,SBC Stroker,2.68 Stinger,Sensenich 82" R
Svcliche@yahoo.com

Des Moines Boater
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Des Moines Boater »

That is a great price. Not much profit in there for you.

Sorry, typo.
Last edited by Des Moines Boater on Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13' 6 Lazer, 383 SBC 425 hp, 2.7 Ballistic, 3 blade 80 NGR

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES »

Des Moines Boater wrote:That is a great rpice. Not much profit in there for you. I know it wasn't JAMES or his buddies because they try to fix things themselves and can't understand why they always have problems.
KEEP MY FU**ING NAME OUT YOUR MOUTH YOUR ABOUT TO PISS ME OFF DONT WORRIE HOW OR WHERE I SPEND MY MONEY U INTERNET SH*T TALKING SOB
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

ffcracker
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by ffcracker »

250.00 for one mag may be a little rich but for two you are the one loosing money. There are some people out there that will not be happy even if you paid them, THEY ARE CALLED DEMOCRATS AND YOU SEE WHAT THEY GOT US FOR 4 YEARS. hE!! you could have gold plated them and he would have been an A$$hole. I hope you claimed a couple of teeth from him, put em on a plaque that say complements of the complaint dept.
A RESENTFULL CITIZEN OF A DICTATORSHIP CALLED alachua county

SouthRiver
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by SouthRiver »

All I need is an address for that price, I pay for the shipping both ways if your not close. For what you did he should have paid the 250 and gave you a case of beer.
"It is what it is......and...... "Everything happens for a reason, whether you like it or not......."
New boat is in the works..............
BCAA Member
N.R.A. Lifetime Member

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by GMAC 76 »

ffcracker wrote:250.00 for one mag may be a little rich but for two you are the one loosing money. There are some people out there that will not be happy even if you paid them, THEY ARE CALLED DEMOCRATS AND YOU SEE WHAT THEY GOT US FOR 4 YEARS. hE!! you could have gold plated them and he would have been an A$$hole. I hope you claimed a couple of teeth from him, put em on a plaque that say complements of the complaint dept.
i dont know about any teeth but after he picked his sorry ass up off my yard and made it to his truck he threw some money out his window and tried to hollar something at me as he drove away sounded like he was having trouble talking and breathing guess i will never know but oh well

ffcracker
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by ffcracker »

Atleast you some money for your troubles, Myself the entertainment of handing his A$$ to him would have been worth it. Glad to see he was not a pu$$y about it and calling the cops after the extchange.
A RESENTFULL CITIZEN OF A DICTATORSHIP CALLED alachua county

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by GMAC 76 »

well i guess we can put this post to bed A BIG THANK YOU to all you MEN who responded i feel better now knowing i didnt accidently stick it to another airboater that is just not in my makeup after reading all the replys i feel for sure and for certain i was fair and will continue on ill sleep better tonight except mabye for this sore right hand hee hee THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE it means alot

greenhorn480
Southern Airboat Member

Post by greenhorn480 »

Going by experience I would guess the guy is wealthy too. They tend to try and screw you the most. Anytime you do somebody a favor you will get screwed and if you have good customers service you will go broke. It's a different world I see everybody I know say they want thinks done right and five minutes later see them always buy whats cheapest. When people call me for bids I just say I'm not your guy I'm never the cheapest that policy has saved me thousands and a ton of time dealing with pricks too. I wish people would pay more for more instead of always wanting to pay less for less.

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat »

There are people on this site that have proven their measure by their Word and Work. Many here have had boats, engines, drives and service work done by them. They offer their Best, stand behind their work and have customer service second to none. They are selfless in helping a fellow airboater get their rig running.
I thank you for what you do.
Well done GMAC.
Last edited by glades cat on Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

rhodes
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by rhodes »

HMM.......must be a democrat.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”