Lucas oil treatment to use it or not?

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
SDeatherage
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Lucas oil treatment to use it or not?

Post by SDeatherage » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:34 pm

I have been drag racing for over twenty years with Big Block Chevy powered motors in my dragsters. I ran them on methanol which is very corrosive. The motors ran very cool because of the methanol and they were bad about building up condensation inside the motor mainly in the valve covers. The alcohol condensation was very hard on the valve train if you let the motor sit for any length of time like over winter time when not racing. I eventually started supplementing one quart of oil with one quart of Lucas Engine Oil Treatment. My valve train loved it. I never had any corrosion problems and the oil seemed to really stick to the components of the motor.

So what I am wondering is has anybody tried it in an aircraft engine? I know how it clings to the components which is great for start up it keeps the upper parts of the engine lubricated and helps prevent dry starts. So I think it would be great to use and I am going to try it. I called Lucas and because its not tested for aircraft engines they wouldn't recommend using it. But I know what it did for my motor so I am willing to try it. I currently use aircraft Phillips oil that is 50 wt and I plan on adding just one quart of Lucas Treatment. So if anyone has ever used it please let me know any results you may have had. I will be glad to post my results but I cant imagine any issues it could cause.
2016 14' X 8' Dyna Marine Revo powered by a TKE LS3 swinging a Sensenich 3 blade 81" R with a Ballistic 2.70 box. Fusion deck with 8.8 JL Audio speakers. Custom sea-dek on a Dakota trailer.

Swampthang
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Lucas oil treatment to use it or not?

Post by Swampthang » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:53 pm

I've used it before in my gpu helped on the oil eating.I use 1qt Lucas And 11qts aeroshell.

Not sure if its ok but I think it helps.. I use Lucas in everything to 8)
12'by7'8" Alum Home Built Full Deck, GTSIO 520 GPU Conversion. NOS, Roller rockers, XDI Electronic ignition,72"NGH 2 blade.

Cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Cracker » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:59 pm

Just use the Aero Shell Plus and forget about it.
I've heard of people using additives that like that having to redo the rings afterwards, it depends on the engine really I think, ring clearance and compression and so forth. Just my 2 cents.
Cracker
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crackers_pictures/sets/
Free Men don't ask permission to bear arms !

josh_2562
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by josh_2562 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:24 pm

I used it in my gpu and it ran cool and used less oil.

Gen3Pro
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gen3Pro » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:36 pm

I use it in my aircraft engine which runs on methanol. I had the same problem with milky oil and got tired of spending more on aero shell. now I used a good diesel 40 wt and use 20% Lucas I think (whatever the directions say) and it works great. Only run about 10qts total too, seems to blow out anymore I put in. Just my 2 cents.
Hatchet Gang Racing

First thing I'm gonna do when I get home is punch yo mama in the mouth

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatchet-G ... 3881904488
http://www.facebook.com/pages/NAADR/369266453162184
http://www.naadr.com/

chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by chuckitt@earthlink.net » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:49 pm

Lucas Oil is wanting to build a relationship with Airboat Racers and Jeff Carles stopped by on Friday to visit before going overseas for 2 weeks. He would like to be at the Race but had other planed events. He hopes to make the next Race. If we show them some support for their products,they may be able give us some sponsor help. Jeff sent me 10 banners to see if we could put some up at the track and i am talking to him about giving some product to some of the winners. We are talking to the track owners to see what they think.
He left me some samples and we are putting them in all the differant engines. One 4.3 V6 had stickey valves from being in storage too long. We added the ENGINE BREAK-IN OIL ADDITIVE with ZINC-PLUS, ran it about 45 minutes and now the engine runs smooth as silk. Saved from pulling heads.
Thanks, Chuck

Cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Cracker » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:10 pm

I would love to see what it does in a high time Aircraft Engine ?
The proof is in the pudding,,, huh ?
Cracker
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crackers_pictures/sets/
Free Men don't ask permission to bear arms !

chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by chuckitt@earthlink.net » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:35 pm

Lucas has many differant high performance products. I hope to have a display at the races.
Hmmm, Lucas being a high performance product, maybe should be in the High Performance Section.
Thanks, Chuck

jdeese
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jdeese » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:54 pm

I had it in my 220 gpu when the rings decided to fell. that is what happens when someone puts aircraft rings in a gpu. But the oil was pretty much caked on the crankshft and the whole bottom end. saved the engine now i always put a quart of lucas in when i change the oil.

lgower
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lgower » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:45 am

what lucas are you guys putting in with the oil
Lee and DeAnne
0540 , Jimmy white Square nose , ss rigging

SDeatherage
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by SDeatherage » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:31 am

Thanks for the reply and I'm glad to hear that I am not the only person who can testify that it does prevent corrosion by really clinging to the engine parts. I would be interested in helping Lucas get the word out to airboaters. I have lots of experience with the product please give the rep my info and ask him to pm me.

Steve
2016 14' X 8' Dyna Marine Revo powered by a TKE LS3 swinging a Sensenich 3 blade 81" R with a Ballistic 2.70 box. Fusion deck with 8.8 JL Audio speakers. Custom sea-dek on a Dakota trailer.

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by GMAC 76 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:27 pm

i use lucas oil treatment in every engine i own use the injector treatment in my diesel also been using it in my lyc 200 for 9 years now with no problems think its a great line of american made products l like it so much been thinking about putting 10% on my toast in the morning! ya never know

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lariat » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:47 pm

Any new news on Lucas products in AC's? Oil or fuel?

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lariat » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:56 pm

I also see they have a "stop leak" additive now. Anyone tried it?

gatorfrog2
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gatorfrog2 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:25 pm

Just put a QT. in. We shall see :dontknow:
Lycoming 0320H 3/4 alum. Custom deckover 69" Narrow Whispertip w/ SuperSlick2000

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:21 pm

my gpu runs on 8 qts aeroshell, 1 qt lucas oil stabilizer, and 1 qt lucas stop leak.
i add another lucas oil stabilizer every 3rd quart of oil i add between oil changes.

i run a qt in my 540av as well.

no down side to it.

i thought everybody knew this already. lol it's good stuff.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:31 pm

Fear not the Lucas oil stabilizer in an aircraft engine, we used it in our unlimited methanol/nitro burning airboat, I've used it in many tired GPUs with great results and absolutely no Ill effects. I can vouch for not running anything but aeroshell ashless dispersant oil, as in many cases, I've seen tired valve jobs get really carboned over from running Rotella or automotive oil in aircraft based engines, will be doing a top overhaul on my father's old boat due to my brother running Kendall SAE 50 in it for this reason, all valves are wheezing.
I never finish anyth,,,.

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lariat » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:50 am

I have never ran anything but AC oil, and AV gas in my engine. Would I still benefit, or am I just as well off running without the Lucas?

SkinnerBack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SkinnerBack » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:23 am

Everytime I change my oil it has a quart of Lucas Oil that goes in it along with areoshell!!

mwood7800
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mwood7800 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:31 am

Always use a 1/2 qt of marvel in my 540, I know quite a few guys at the airport who use a qt for every oil change.

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:48 pm

when i have to run ethenol gas in the GPU i put 4 oz Marvel Mystery oil per 10 gals ethenol gas.

i don't run nothin but avgas in the 540 lycoming.

Hardtail
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Hardtail » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:50 am

mwood7800 wrote:Always use a 1/2 qt of marvel in my 540, I know quite a few guys at the airport who use a qt for every oil change.
I have always used Mystery Marvel oil in my oil and in the gas, an old timer told me about it when I bought my airplane back in 1993 with a fresh overhaul (IO 540), I always put a quart to 100 gallons fuel and a quart in at every oil change, for 20 years of flying the engine never had any problems and didn't need to add oil between oil changes, it would never keep 12 quarts, so as long as I left it at 10 quarts it would stay there, on a long flight I would add a quart so it would be above the 10 quart mark and when I check the oil it would be back at 10 again. So now I do the same in my O 360 on the airboat.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:00 pm

I'd be interested in the 'stop leak' additive if it works. My wife drives an old Jeep Cherokee that still runs great but has developed a rear main seal leak. I don't want to have to pull the transmission to fix that if I can avoid it.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:18 pm

My 77 F250s 400 had low oil pressure once at first stop after highway driving at about 5 psi due to hmered bearings from to high of timing, I ran a qt of Lucas in it and it stayed at 15 psi till I changed all the bearing shells. The rear seal issue might cure for a bit.
I never finish anyth,,,.

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:08 pm

i thought the lucas oil stop leak was probly a gimmick, but i tried it last year in the GPU.
it looks just like the lucas heavy oil stabilizer i always use.

no kidding, it stopped probly 90% of the small leaks on my GPU. the side of my motor dried up instead of being full of oil. lol
it says u have to keep using it once u start for it to keep working, and that is what i have found also.

it didn't seem to hurt anything, only helped. i will use it again in the future.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”