200 lycoming or 540

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
cheese
Southern Airboat Member

200 lycoming or 540

Post by cheese »

i am building a 13 ft diamondback 4 seater, i was curious of what u guys think
alot of people tell me to go with the 200 lycoming it will b plenty to push us any where i want, and save on fuel() av gas aint cheap. but on the other hand i had a 540 and i know it will push me where i need to go! basically i want to know your opinion on the 2 motors?

MYDIXIEWRECKED
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: 200 lycoming or 540

Post by MYDIXIEWRECKED »

540 or LS w/ gearbox. If your doing 4 people all the time you'll work a 200 to death. JMO I've owned every engine I just talked about...
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
"People sleep peaceably in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence ON THEIR BEHALF"

Lifetime member NRA
Owner camp 9 1/2 in beautiful 3A south, Everglades

ffcracker
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by ffcracker »

Go with the 540, it will not be bad on fuel, will not have to work it as hard.
A RESENTFULL CITIZEN OF A DICTATORSHIP CALLED alachua county

bruceharwell
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by bruceharwell »

540 :cheers:

MYDIXIEWRECKED
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by MYDIXIEWRECKED »

Go with an Angle valve 540! Get all the hp you can. The narrow deck is lighter too. Mine did pretty good but I'm a horsepower junkie so I changed to the LS! Never looking back either(unless your gonna be riding with me with your new 540!) LOL :lol: Just kidding buddy, it will do good.

Chester
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
"People sleep peaceably in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence ON THEIR BEHALF"

Lifetime member NRA

cheese
Southern Airboat Member

Post by cheese »

540 what im leaning towards, i just wanted some other opinions
well im looking for a 290 0r300 carburated if anyone knows a good one for sale

cheese
Southern Airboat Member

Post by cheese »

no way i will b wavin as im ridin by, u will b able
to smell my av gas in the wind brotha

jre1226
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jre1226 »

thats a lot of weight for a 200 if you keep it really light it might do alright but you still need to watch where you go i would say to much boat for that motor on the other hand a 540 on a well built boat will push 4 people around just about anywhere you wanna go just as long as you don't really go nuts with the weight on the build. I would go like 7'9'' wide so it planes better and gets better gas consumption

Terminknotor
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Terminknotor »

cheese wrote:i am building a 13 ft diamondback 4 seater, i was curious of what u guys think
alot of people tell me to go with the 200 lycoming it will b plenty to push us any where i want, and save on fuel() av gas aint cheap. but on the other hand i had a 540 and i know it will push me where i need to go! basically i want to know your opinion on the 2 motors?
I have an angle valve 200 fuel injected on a 13 foot hamant and I love the heck out of it but I dont think it would be the cats pajamas with 4 people in it. If your gonna be hauling 3 or 4 folks around, I would definitely go with the 540. My boat works great with 2 folks on it (never had 3 yet) and its light and nimble as all get out but the extra weight may tax it a bit too much and I think like someone else said, you would work it to death.

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES »

im no ac guy even no i have a gpu doesent mean i love it !!! its not rocket science 540 is the top of ac motors and ls is the top of carmotors airboats applictions ......bigger boat more people 540 will do it but id build a ls gearbox their wont be no questions of what it will and wont do its been proven jmo !!
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker »

cheese, you can take $8,500 and buy a 540 and a prop or you can spend close to twice as much and get a LS power plant, gear box and prop. it's just a matter of how much coin your want to part with. IMO if your going to take 4 people, a big cooler, GPS, Cup holders , bimini top, trolling motor with extra batterys and a blender i would go carmotor but if you ready to do some real AIRBOATING i would mount that 540 and ride 8)
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Al David / stroked LS

MYDIXIEWRECKED
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by MYDIXIEWRECKED »

fl cracker wrote:cheese, you can take $8,500 and buy a 540 and a prop or you can spend close to twice as much and get a LS power plant, gear box and prop. it's just a matter of how much coin your want to part with. IMO if your going to take 4 people, a big cooler, GPS, Cup holders , bimini top, trolling motor with extra batterys and a blender i would go carmotor but if you ready to do some real AIRBOATING i would mount that 540 and ride 8)
LOL, I'm so glad I'm done with that real airboating!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

Lifetime member NRA

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker »

chester, i seen your boat run on youtube, it is a bad mofo for sure. I like the point where you stopped your boat in the grass and WATER and stated " i would never try this in A/C boat" that's a good one. what you should have said is i would never try this if my motor was a DD with 300 hp. chester it's all in good fun, i dont know ya but i love ya because your an airboater 8)
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Al David / stroked LS

MJD291
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by MJD291 »

540 ALL THE WAY. THE MAN ASKED FOR A SIMPLE ANSWER TO A QUESTION. 540 OR 200??? I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU COOKIE EATERS HAVE TO BREAK OUT YOUR WATER THUNDER POM - POMS!! :) CHESTER WE ALL KNOW YOU ARE A CLOSET A/C GUY. JUST COME OUT AND ADMIT IT. :)
I LOVE THE SMELL OF AV GAS IN THE MORNING. IT SMELLS LIKE..... VICTORY

blowme
Southern Airboat Member

Post by blowme »

Forget the 200 and the 540 go with a continental u don't wanta be one of them lycoming losers. :lol:
what we have here is failure to communicate

MYDIXIEWRECKED
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by MYDIXIEWRECKED »

It's all in fun guys. I've owned a pile of aircraft and I still work on them almost daily. Just rebuilt 2 sets of mags this weekend and an Ma4-5 Carb too. One set for a angle valve 540 and one set for an e-185. I don't discriminate they are all great. I do like what I have now though. :D :violent1:
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

Lifetime member NRA

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce »

u could always get a gso540 with an 80 inch three blade itll push a 13 foot boat with 4 people in it where carmotor guys can only dream of goin now fuel consumptiin could be a problem but its only money cant take it with you lol
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

BradWeihrauch
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BradWeihrauch »

I own a 13', deckover, 4 seater, O-540 Angle Valve, Carb boat. That combination will go anywhere you "should" be going. NO BOAT will go "anywhere" you want to go, there is always some place that will stick a boat. Diamondback will build you an excellent boat. My boat burns VERY little fuel, (depending on how hard you push that little pedal on the right)boat originally built with a SuperCharged 480, went to the Angle Valve 540, Jurnigan Engine, two years ago and would never go back. This is my 4th 540 Carb Angle from Jurningan and my 13th airboat in 27 years. You are welcome to come ride it, a new boat is a HUGE investment. At the end of the day, get all the opinions you want, ride all the boats you want, and listen to all the BS you want, then make up your own mind. IF you make up your own mind, success of failure, either one, belongs to you.

MYDIXIEWRECKED
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by MYDIXIEWRECKED »

I will agree with Brad on the fact the new diamondbacks run Great! I can't believe the difference in my 13 foot older style and my new 14 foot new style. Night and day. I guarantee the 14 footer will run circles around the 13 with the same power plant! VERY HAPPY with Diamondback.

Chester
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

Lifetime member NRA

GIMAMMOTH
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GIMAMMOTH »

my 200 boat with 4 people would burn as much fuel asa 0540... an get stuck trying to keep up
Wardaddy 8X6.6 Cut down c90 Continental aircraft.
Chuck Hawk 12foot Cut Down 0-320 aircraft.
Southern Enterprizes 12.6 Williams Step Hull deckover o540 with Continental injection

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”