0540 on av gas

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
gariverrat
Southern Airboat Member

0540 on av gas

Post by gariverrat »

Is it necessary to run av gas in the 054 or can you get by with the highest octane from the street pumps? Thanks in advance for feedback
Roads......., What roads? Where we're goin we don't need no roads.

Daddy Dave
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: 0540 on av gas

Post by Daddy Dave »

Different 0-540s require different fuels - compression ration usually determines which fuel runs best.. Straight valve or angle valve? Only the 230 hp version was designed to run on leaded auto gas. The Recreational Fuel now being sold at many marinas is 93 octane and does not have ethanol. AV gas will run much cooler and it has an indefinate shelf life.
A I R B O A T

Anytime It Runs, Break Out Another Thousand

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker »

not to mention av gas will give better performance!
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Al David / stroked LS

gariverrat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gariverrat »

As you can probably tell, I am in the read/study [phase before buying a boat. What is the difference (which is best or most used) between straight valve and angle valve. Thanks guys :usa:

BradWeihrauch
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BradWeihrauch »

Diesels run on Diesel....Flammable on flammable(combustable)...Compression on compression.....Aviation on aviation.....all BS aside, if you fill a 30 gallon tank, and you are considering Av/Reg gas, and let's say that difference is $3.60 vs. $2.90, and let's say the tank is dry, that means that 30 gallons will cost you $21.00 difference between pump and AV. Then what the heck are you thinking, either drink a cheaper beer, quit dipping, quit smoking, or PAY the damn couple of bucks to protect your $10,000+ AV/motor. If you have to think about $21 over the course of a whole weekend, you need to sell your damn boat and buy a Kayak............

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat »

You can buy the cheaper mogas and add:
-Octane booster, a good one, because your burning crap...$8.00 :shock:
-Lead Additive, because your valves and seats take a beating when you burn crap...$8.00 :D
-Sta-bil, because crap sours quickly and is hygoscopic (absorbs water)...$8.00 :lol:

Mogas has many streams of additives to give it particular characteristics, like clean-burning. The more additives, the less fuel.
Avgas has the "good stuff" you want in Gasoline, mainly straight-chained Alkanes (Parafin).
You want less Benzene, Alcohol and aromatics in your fuel for max octane rating.
Gasoline is supposed to "deflagrate" not "detonate". Controlled combustion, not detonation.

or...just burn Avgas and forget the additives.
If you burn Mogas, mix some Avgas in with it and save a couple bucks.
I've run Mogas, just not straight or all the time.

You can survive on McDonalds and vitamins...but you really need meat and potatoes.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style »

I agree with all posts... It is only about $10-$12 differnece when you get gas... I never run a full tank anyways.. Added weight and I never use but about 1/2 tank anyway... And if the $12 is gonna stop me from running, I need to pick up another hobby...........

AvGas will run cooler...... and there is no replacement for taking care of your engine.. The most expensive part on your boat.................
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

rac1boat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rac1boat »

Enjoy all the avgas you can because it want be here long! EPA pressuring hard to start phaseout of 100LL by 2013!

gariverrat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gariverrat »

Thanks guys, I'm learnin,..

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”