Supercharged o-540 on. A ride boat

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
austin
Southern Airboat Member

Supercharged o-540 on. A ride boat

Post by austin »

Supercharged o-540 lycoming on a ride boat what is the up and downs f it and do it like gas to much :dontknow: :dontknow:

Blownaway540
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Supercharged o-540 on. A ride boat

Post by Blownaway540 »

Ups- like a tractor, goes anywhere, never stuck but once in a washout, fast for a ride boat (79.8), anything w/ a supercharger is cool. Downs - Sucks AV gas, mine gets around 2 miles per gallon riding easy, has 750 holley hogged out w/ LARGE jets, if they are injected, they do better. If you plan on running dry for miles in summer or for that matter most of time you will get to much heat in engine and burn pistons. I run a nitrous plate under my carb w/ only gas plumbed to it, starts getting to hot in summer- hit button while cruising, runs richer- cools down. Dich Hoffman said he would not sell me that motor if I was going to run alot of dry for long distances. I use a single band "oxygen sniffer" sensor in header, gives good idea of rich/lean. Motor is long.......and heavy, need a longer boat or configure seats to work, I use 3 singles, front driver, back seats have SC and carb on either side of back seats. If you are building engine, get 5 ring pistons if possible. I love mine, cause if I had one of my many other boats thru years, I would have had a heart attack by now w/ all the pushing and pulling from getting stuck (to old for that). Point and go.
Last edited by Blownaway540 on Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IGSO 0540 (W/out IG) built by the late, great, Dick Hoffman, 13 ft. Alumitech. Member - CRA, KRVSA

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce »

Blownaway540 wrote:Ups- like a tractor, goes anywhere, never stuck but once in a washout, fast for a ride boat (79.8), anything w/ a supercharger is cool. Downs - Sucks AV gas, mine gets around 2 miles per gallon riding easy, has 750 holley hogged out w/ LARGE jets, if they are injected, they do better. If you plan on running dry for miles in summer or for that matter most of time you will get to much heat in engine and burn pistons. I run a nitrous plate under my carb w/ only gas plumbed to it, starts getting to hot in summer- hit button while cruising, runs richer- cools down. Dich Hoffman said he would not sell me that motor if I was going to run alot of dry for long distances. I use a single band "oxygen sniffer" sensor in header, gives good idea of rich/lean. Motor is long.......and heavy, need a longer boat or configure seats to work, I use 3 singles, front driver, back seats have SC and carb on either side of back seats. If you are building engine, get 5 ring pistons if possible. I love mine, cause if I had one of my many other boats thru years, I would have had a heart attack by now w/ all the pushing and pulling from getting stuck (to old for that). Point and go.

ive met you before you have a big alumitech right?
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

GIMAMMOTH
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GIMAMMOTH »

better know how to keep it tuned, iv never had one but most the charged boats iv seen need a little tinkering every so often,
Wardaddy 8X6.6 Cut down c90 Continental aircraft.
Chuck Hawk 12foot Cut Down 0-320 aircraft.
Southern Enterprizes 12.6 Williams Step Hull deckover o540 with Continental injection

Cody Alvarez
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Cody Alvarez »

I had a sc 480 and It was a fuel drinking monster. I would burn twice as much fuel as everyone else. On a 48 mile trip I burned 26 gallons.

hmgm123
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by hmgm123 »

GIMAMMOTH wrote:better know how to keep it tuned, iv never had one but most the charged boats iv seen need a little tinkering every so often,
Depends on who you have built it for you. I had Bob Carlton rebuild mine and never did anything to it except change oil and spark plugs and add A LOT OF AV GAS. :shock: Never got stuck in it and don't know and don't care how fast it would go. I would add Lucas fuel treatment every fill up. That help the temp tremendously. I do not recommend this motor because of how much fuel it would burn.

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun »

Ask Muffled 500 how much one burns, we had to go get him gas twice couple years ago lol. They flat burn it but Supercharged motors are too cool :D
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

GIMAMMOTH
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GIMAMMOTH »

hmgm123 wrote:
GIMAMMOTH wrote:better know how to keep it tuned, iv never had one but most the charged boats iv seen need a little tinkering every so often,
Depends on who you have built it for you. I had Bob Carlton rebuild mine and never did anything to it except change oil and spark plugs and add A LOT OF AV GAS. :shock: Never got stuck in it and don't know and don't care how fast it would go. I would add Lucas fuel treatment every fill up. That help the temp tremendously. I do not recommend this motor because of how much fuel it would burn.

sometimes you just get one thats a bad apple a guess, my buddy bought a air worthy yellow taged brand new everything an hasnt even got to make a full run yet.. seeing what hes going through has made me wana stick with a non charged motor.. this motor is injected an geared

course his dad has a non geared running a carb an its been turn key an no problems for about 4 years now so i guess some are all around bad to the bone an some are just ****..
Attachments
charged540.jpg
charged540.jpg (65.42 KiB) Viewed 2331 times
Wardaddy 8X6.6 Cut down c90 Continental aircraft.
Chuck Hawk 12foot Cut Down 0-320 aircraft.
Southern Enterprizes 12.6 Williams Step Hull deckover o540 with Continental injection

gso480jr
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gso480jr »

My supercharged 480 is on her tenth year and third hull. Was an airworthy take-off with 280 air hours logged. Never been apart, never been aproblem, never run HOT!. Useing a fattened Holley 750 double pumper. We have run from lake cyprus ramp all the way around lake kissimmee and back on a thirty gallon tank. Had 5 gallons left at ramp. But we can spend 5 hours on the water in a windy day and punching the blower excessively and burn the entire tank af $6.00 per gallon av gas in about 5 hours! We have two double seats. Would'nt change a thing though. Love the rush and power of my "4 wheel drive" boat. ps. just added poly. look out!

longshot123
Southern Airboat Member

Post by longshot123 »

I have a gso480 14 ft boat loaded with 3 people, grille, coolers, food. All day trip, put in at farm 13 and rode to lake washington and back. Ran through spade island to bulldozer camps bone dry the whole way. 35 gallons All Day. Set up Right they burn less , They turn such a big prop- you dont have to floor it that much.

J.J. Patterson
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by J.J. Patterson »

Work's well for me.Image
Pensacola, Fl.[/color]

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce »

i had a 480 dd drank a ton of fuel but was an animal would have another one in a heartbeat theyll whip up on a 600 horse water thunder even if you got it on an old slow round bottom diamondback second pic i was tryin to pitch the prop romped down on it broke the ratchet straps and liked to load it up in the bed of my truck
Attachments
480 bustin arse.jpg
480 bustin arse.jpg (83.55 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
480.jpg
480.jpg (164.47 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

gso480jr
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gso480jr »

Bruce wrote:i had a 480 dd drank a ton of fuel but was an animal would have another one in a heartbeat theyll whip up on a 600 horse water thunder even if you got it on an old slow round bottom diamondback second pic i was tryin to pitch the prop romped down on it broke the ratchet straps and liked to load it up in the bed of my truck
:salute:

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”