Propeller Recall!!!!!

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Propeller Recall!!!!!

Post by DDSBC » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:58 pm

I was running what I was told was a long Powershift style hub with some 72" Whirl Wind Wispertip blades made to fit in other manufacturers hubs that brought the overall length to 74". I dinged up one blade and upon closer inspection found deep cracking near the hub on both blades. I spoke to the folks at the Whirl Wind booth at the Broward County Airboat and Half Track Show in Davie on Saturday and they told me to bring them the blades and hub. After looking at it they said even though I dinged one blade up there was a RECALL on these blades made to fit other manufacturers hubs. I turned in my old hub and blades and wrote a $175 check for shipping and they are going to send me a new prop!!! Now that's customer service!!!!

Side note I'm running a 285hp IO-520 with 25hrs on it since Schmidt rebuilt it so it's strong. I have a 74" Sensenich Q on it now and wonder should I have Whirlwind Send me a 72" or 74" Wispertip to run on my motor and sell the Q which has 10hrs on it or keep running the Q and sell the Wispertip cause my wife won't let me keep both. She want me to recover some of the $1900 I just spent on the Q lol.
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

Dewayne
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Propeller Recall!!!!!

Post by Dewayne » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:04 pm

DDSBC wrote:I was running what I was told was a long Powershift style hub with some 72" Whirl Wind Wispertip blades made to fit in other manufacturers hubs that brought the overall length to 74". I dinged up one blade and upon closer inspection found deep cracking near the hub on both blades. I spoke to the folks at the Whirl Wind booth at the Broward County Airboat and Half Track Show in Davie on Saturday and they told me to bring them the blades and hub. After looking at it they said even though I dinged one blade up there was a RECALL on these blades made to fit other manufacturers hubs. I turned in my old hub and blades and wrote a $175 check for shipping and they are going to send me a new prop!!! Now that's customer service!!!!

Side note I'm running a 285hp IO-520 with 25hrs on it since Schmidt rebuilt it so it's strong. I have a 74" Sensenich Q on it now and wonder should I have Whirlwind Send me a 72" or 74" Wispertip to run on my motor and sell the Q which has 10hrs on it or keep running the Q and sell the Wispertip cause my wife won't let me keep both. She want me to recover some of the $1900 I just spent on the Q lol.
My personnal opinion i would stay with the Q series and have them send you the whisper tip and then sell it to get your money back.

BANANA BOAT
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by BANANA BOAT » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:05 pm

$175.00 for shipping :dontknow:

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:09 pm

BANANABOAT wrote:$175.00 for shipping :dontknow:
Ya but considering they know I bought the boat with this Prop and Hub already in it and dinged a blade up myself and they are shipping it from California to Hollywood, FL I don't mind paying that.
Micah Smith

12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:11 pm

Dewayne wrote:
DDSBC wrote:I was running what I was told was a long Powershift style hub with some 72" Whirl Wind Wispertip blades made to fit in other manufacturers hubs that brought the overall length to 74". I dinged up one blade and upon closer inspection found deep cracking near the hub on both blades. I spoke to the folks at the Whirl Wind booth at the Broward County Airboat and Half Track Show in Davie on Saturday and they told me to bring them the blades and hub. After looking at it they said even though I dinged one blade up there was a RECALL on these blades made to fit other manufacturers hubs. I turned in my old hub and blades and wrote a $175 check for shipping and they are going to send me a new prop!!! Now that's customer service!!!!

My personnal opinion i would stay with the Q series and have them send you the whisper tip and then sell it to get your money back.
Micah Smith

DannySauls
Southern Airboat Member

Propeller Recall!!!!!

Post by DannySauls » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:28 pm

I'd say bolt the whisper tip on it an see what ya like better on there I think your gonna be impressed with the whisper tip... Then sell what ever one you don't need... Jmo

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:29 pm

Their website shows a new AB-200 hub for $690 so I'm pretty sure the $175 was for shipping. I could pick it up and save the shipping but California isn't on my way home from work. Lol
Micah Smith

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:34 pm

Would you recommend a 72" like Whirl Wind's websit recommends or a 74". I'm spinning my 74" Q at 2700-2750 Static just under the 2.5 pitch mark now.
Micah Smith

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:42 pm

I wouldn't sell 1 till I at least tried both.
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:45 pm

KEEP YOUR "Q'. $175 for shipping that is ridiculous. I just shipped a pair of garage door springs that are twice as heavy to IOWA for $25.
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Hamant / SV540

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:26 pm

The Q hub pushed the prop back a hair further then the Powershift hub. The 74" Q dips 4.5" below the transome and the backside of the tip of the blade comes within 1" of the transome. I might bolt up the Wispertip to try it out but still don't know if a 72" or 74" would be better
Micah Smith

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:34 pm

1" is not going to cut it. If a wake hits the transom or if u have a trim tab and u forget to lift it up when on dry that could be a problem. I have 2 buddy's that have powershift hubs with sensenich blades, been running them for a while with no problems!
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Hamant / SV540

BANANA BOAT
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by BANANA BOAT » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:09 pm

whirlwind :thumbleft:
Last edited by BANANA BOAT on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

WhirlWind Propellers
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by WhirlWind Propellers » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:09 pm

It was great to meet you at the show this last weekend. :thumbleft:

I think you will be very happy with your new complete Whisper Tip propeller. The WhirlWind hub is much easier to use than your old PS hub. The main differences are the blade angles are already engraved on our hub for easy pitch setting, and the QuickChange through-bolt design. All 6 mounting bolts go through both halves of the hub, which not only make it safer, but also makes it so you can assemble the prop as one piece to mount it on your flange and take it off as one piece if you ever need to do maintenance - and you won't lose your pitch. The WhirlWind hub is the new light weight style, so you will get very fast spin-up.

To clarify, the $175 is the upgrade trade-in price to get a brand new propeller and hardware, not for shipping. We will always give our customers premium customer service through-out the life of our product, and even though your blades were damaged, that is why I offered you the upgrade option. We have only had the dimension issue with the RQ72 blade shank, and we will redesign the tooling at some point in the future. For now, everyone with these blades has the option for full refund or the upgrade to the new light-weight 3D QuickChange WhirlWind hub and Whisper Tip blades for $175.

Shipping is always free on complete propellers. We do offer prepaid UPS return labels for $35 if you ever need a repair.

Sincerely,
-Patti
:proud:

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:04 pm

Now thats customer service ....
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by GMAC 76 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:07 pm

cntry141iq wrote:Now thats customer service ....
X2

swampfox
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by swampfox » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Now that is what i call good honest business. JMO but both props r beasts on the ground. But the q seems to run out on top. JMO i say use both, run em 3/4 and then romp it and see which one still pulls. No doubt they r both great props, but why not have the best if both worlds with that new WT. Yep, got my pom poms out and theyre just a waving. Good luck with ur choice.
Diamondback 0235c sprayer/ predator gore and powerplant??? Stroked out 65 continental :)

aherr520
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by aherr520 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:03 pm

I think it will be hard to choose,both are great props and customer service,I have a 74'' Q and like it alot on my 0520
aaof member

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:05 pm

Just got off the phone with Patti and wow such nice poeple at WhirlWind she said I should have my 74" Whisper Tip on Friday. Gonna try it and the Q out and see which one I like best. Also hopefully the WhirlWind hub gives me a little more clearence between the blade tip and the transome. fl cracker thanks for that tip I do run a trim tab and even though the diamond back hull's transome is really solid looking it would be nice to have a little extra clearence. I ran a WhirlWind on my first boat, a 350DD and loved the easy pitch adjustment and not loosing your pitch when removing the prop so I am really hoping for extra clearence and good push out of the WW. As long as I don't loose any clearence or push I should have a 74" Sensenich Q for sale soon I guess.
Micah Smith

iceman22
Southern Airboat Member

Post by iceman22 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:14 pm

fl cracker wrote:KEEP YOUR "Q'. $175 for shipping that is ridiculous. I just shipped a pair of garage door ?springs that are twice as heavy to IOWA for $25.

did you insure your garage door springs and CA is a bit longer away ?

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:20 pm

basically it looks like for 175.00 he is getting a new whirlwind hub in place of his sensenitch or waterwalker hub and he is getting new blades with shipping included for only 175.00 .. and they didn't even have anything to do with his original hub .. ???
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:59 pm

This is my ride!
Attachments
airboat1.JPG
airboat1.JPG (179.98 KiB) Viewed 1801 times
Micah Smith

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:03 pm

WhirlWind Propellers wrote:It was great to meet you at the show this last weekend. :thumbleft:

I think you will be very happy with your new complete Whisper Tip propeller. The WhirlWind hub is much easier to use than your old PS hub. The main differences are the blade angles are already engraved on our hub for easy pitch setting, and the QuickChange through-bolt design. All 6 mounting bolts go through both halves of the hub, which not only make it safer, but also makes it so you can assemble the prop as one piece to mount it on your flange and take it off as one piece if you ever need to do maintenance - and you won't lose your pitch. The WhirlWind hub is the new light weight style, so you will get very fast spin-up.

To clarify, the $175 is the upgrade trade-in price to get a brand new propeller and hardware, not for shipping. We will always give our customers premium customer service through-out the life of our product, and even though your blades were damaged, that is why I offered you the upgrade option. We have only had the dimension issue with the RQ72 blade shank, and we will redesign the tooling at some point in the future. For now, everyone with these blades has the option for full refund or the upgrade to the new light-weight 3D QuickChange WhirlWind hub and Whisper Tip blades for $175.

Shipping is always free on complete propellers. We do offer prepaid UPS return labels for $35 if you ever need a repair.

Sincerely,
-Patti
:proud:
1st Class, Patti ..... very nicely done. Good for you!

BTW, those new pitch markings on your blades are awesome ..... those alone would be a big factor for me in running one of your props. It's very professional, and gives someone a lot of confidence in set-up when there isn't a prop protractor or digital level handy.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

mMontana
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mMontana » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Boat looks great where did you get the camo wrap or is that paint and does it seem to hold up?

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Re: Re: Propeller Recall!!!!!

Post by PeaRiverOpossum » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:20 pm

GMAC 76 wrote:
cntry141iq wrote:Now thats customer service ....
X2
While I'm not a ww customer...i do have to admit that this kind of cs is admirable. When they are all making awesome products this is the kind of stuff that will make or break a company. Good job ww.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”