4 cylinder fuel consumtion

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
norman simmons
Southern Airboat Member

4 cylinder fuel consumtion

Post by norman simmons »

i would like to find out how much fuel others 4 poppers are burning a hour or gallons a day with normal driving , i know fulldecks will differ from high sided boats , i am runing a scorpion with a 180 thanks for the input

kfowler
Southern Airboat Member

Re: 4 cylinder fuel consumtion

Post by kfowler »

mountains or valleys 4-8 gallons a day with 200 lycoming. 11.6 hamant with 2 blade 70" h sensinch. runs where you point it. thanks swamprat

Daniel Altman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Daniel Altman »

I went out froggin about 3 weeks ago. Spent 7 1/2 hours on the water and about 6 hours froggin. Burnt 13.9 gallons. Also put in at Moore Haven to take my mom out for a ride. Had her, myself and dad on the boat. Ran up the Moore Haven cut up to Monkey Box, across Monkey Box run over to Fish Eatin Creek Bay. Farted around in there for 20 minutes and took same route in reverse back to the boat ramp. On plan minus the no wake zones, burnt 4.3 gallons. Each time I filled up at the airport to get my numbers.

Running 10' deckover with Lycoming 160.
10' Thurman copy, O-320, WW Cypress, BRAB 51 & RRAA 15

"You can't tourniquet the taint!" Archer

deepsea diver
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by deepsea diver »

i have a 12 ft sled with a H2AD(160 hp) 25 gal tank. I get over 4 miles per gallon. I am runing a 70" Q and I have it set where I can turn 2550 rpm. I run long hauls all the time. I run from hwy 50 to hwy 46 to include the ECON and loughmans. I also run hwy 520 to hwy 192 with no problems. I cruse at 1800 to 2000 rpm doing 25 to 32 mph. I drive 90 to 100 miles on most trips out. 4.3 mpg is common. Have run from hwy 50 to the oak head and back with no problem.

scottymartin
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottymartin »

Run a full deck, carpeted. Run all day and burn 4 1/2 gals at the most. Cruise at 1600 to 1800. 2000 for a load. Prop is set at 2 1/2-2 3/4. Had prop set at 2 and burned 5-6 gals. All running 93. :)
Little Bear 12' Scorpion w / O-360 200hp

GIMAMMOTH
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GIMAMMOTH »

norman simmons wrote:i would like to find out how much fuel others 4 poppers are burning a hour or gallons a day with normal driving , i know fulldecks will differ from high sided boats , i am runing a scorpion with a 180 thanks for the input

10gal should last you all day..
Wardaddy 8X6.6 Cut down c90 Continental aircraft.
Chuck Hawk 12foot Cut Down 0-320 aircraft.
Southern Enterprizes 12.6 Williams Step Hull deckover o540 with Continental injection

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 »

Wow! :shock: I've heard it all now. A friggen boat that will run all day on 4 gallons. If you can run all day on 4 gallons,then you ain't riding. It would be hard pressed to run on 10 gallons. A typical day riding for us is 60-80 miles. If that's the case than you get 20 mpg. You guys need to be a lil more specific. Aint no boat gonna run ALL day on no 4 gallons. Hell I bet you couldn't ride with me in 10. :roll:

dan-o
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by dan-o »

Hatbill to Lone Cabbage and back, lots of dry running and assing around, 18 gallons. o-320 probably 170-180 h.p. Guess I don't make as many beer stops as some people.
"Disneyworld and air conditioning is gonna ruin Florida."
-My Grandmother-

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce »

Overstreet landing to polluted waters raced about 10-15 passes then on to ridge then the bus on around back to overstreet on 8 gallons with built to the hilt o290 with 66 waterwalker cypress but super light free runnin hull cruisin 13-1500 when ridin
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 »

Bruce wrote:Overstreet landing to polluted waters raced about 10-15 passes then on to ridge then the bus on around back to overstreet on 8 gallons with built to the hilt o290 with 66 waterwalker cypress but super light free runnin hull cruisin 13-1500 when ridin
That's believable. That's not that far of a ride.

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown »

scottymartin wrote:Run a full deck, carpeted. Run all day and burn 4 1/2 gals at the most. Cruise at 1600 to 1800. 2000 for a load. Prop is set at 2 1/2-2 3/4. Had prop set at 2 and burned 5-6 gals. All running 93. :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
THANKS I NEEDED THAT.
I'D give you 100 thousand for it, if I could run that boat all day on 4 gals. of fuel.
figure I'D make my money back in a few years.
I go to the cow pens down juniper run back to M.PORT. on about 10 gals.
and I think I'M doing good.
but I'M running 110 too.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GOD BLESS THIS COUNTRY WE CAN SAY ANYTHING WE WANT.
I don't STAN could do that with his mini.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

Flarock
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Flarock »

He might mean 4 and a half gallons an hour not all day

MJD291
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by MJD291 »

Most run 160-200 hp motors and in that case you are still feeding 320-360 cubic inches of motor, not some 1.3 liter Geo metro 4 cylinder. The burn rates will ultimatly depend on what RPM you are turning which can greatly affect your GPH. There are too many variables to determine what u will get for fuel consumption like RPM,weight,hull,prop,pitch setting,carb or injection and exc. If you can ride on 4 gallons all day then u need to $ell your knowledge to Lycoming and aircraft owners so you can retire.
I LOVE THE SMELL OF AV GAS IN THE MORNING. IT SMELLS LIKE..... VICTORY

GIMAMMOTH
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GIMAMMOTH »

Tony480 wrote:Wow! :shock: I've heard it all now. A friggen boat that will run all day on 4 gallons. If you can run all day on 4 gallons,then you ain't riding. It would be hard pressed to run on 10 gallons. A typical day riding for us is 60-80 miles. If that's the case than you get 20 mpg. You guys need to be a lil more specific. Aint no boat gonna run ALL day on no 4 gallons. Hell I bet you couldn't ride with me in 10. :roll:

i run my boats pretty much the same anywhere im at an so far my fuel consumption is

c90 90hp 5to7 gals all day ride wot most the time

0320 170hp 10to20 all day ride WOT most the time

0540 300hp 15to unknown all day ride some WOT

guessing fuel mileage is tuff on a airboat cause condishens always change

i dont think there are to many boats that can hang with my 90 on mpg , an 4 gals isnt enuff for me to feel comfortable all day i carry a 5 gal jug on top of a full tank anytime i go for a long ride just to be safe. better no have it an not need it rather than be stuck somewhere..
Wardaddy 8X6.6 Cut down c90 Continental aircraft.
Chuck Hawk 12foot Cut Down 0-320 aircraft.
Southern Enterprizes 12.6 Williams Step Hull deckover o540 with Continental injection

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee »

I put in at Jacksonville and ride to key west on 3 gallons. All hard dry running all day.
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown »

yobee wrote:I put in at Jacksonville and ride to key west on 3 gallons. All hard dry running all day.
and I'LL back him up I was right behind him.
my 69741 will go all year on a uranium rod.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

Cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Cracker »

I don't uderstand how you guys are figuring MPG, I was buring 6 to 7 Gallons an Hour on the Tach, with the new NGH, I'm down to 4 or 5 an hour, no matter if I run hill all day or water ?
Five gallons might get me around Lake Cypress once ?
240HP Lycoming o360 on Bullfrog Hull.
Now I can put a lot of pitch in it and get better,, but then i can't run the hill.
My Cont. 90 used to run all day on 10 gallons,,, with a cut down hull and chrome moly riggin.
Just my 2 cents,,,,,,,
Cracker
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crackers_pictures/sets/
Free Men don't ask permission to bear arms !

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 »

Cracker wrote:I don't uderstand how you guys are figuring MPG, I was buring 6 to 7 Gallons an Hour on the Tach, with the new NGH, I'm down to 4 or 5 an hour, no matter if I run hill all day or water ?
Now I can put a lot of pitch in it and get better,, but then i can't run the hill.
My Cont. 90 used to run all day on 10 gallons,,, with a cut down hull and chrome moly riggin.
Just my 2 cents,,,,,,,
Ding,Ding,Ding!!We have a winner. :D And I can tell you for a fact!This is a boat that will run.It doesn't go out to one spot and sit all day and then ride back to the ramp and load up and say he rode all day.I tell yall what,yall meet us at Lake Cypress and we will make the ususal run,around the lake,down dead river ,through the marsh,to the bus,and on to the ridge and polluted waters and back and if you can do it in 4 gallons I will fill your truck,boat and everything you own up and kiss your ass.Hell I bet you couldn't do it in 10 gallons.That's a ride,not some BS!

gblack15
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gblack15 »

My 180 will run Florence to the oakhead and back on @ 4-5 gl depending on how much deep water and dry I run. If I hit the dry trails it jumps up to 6-8 gls.

norman simmons
Southern Airboat Member

Post by norman simmons »

Thanks for all the input , now my next question is how did cracker get 240 horse out of his 0360

Cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Cracker »

Ask Jim Lauderdale he built it,, or Howard Yates,, he can build one,,,, Howard told me it was probably more, so I'm being conservative as always :-) LOL
Cracker
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crackers_pictures/sets/
Free Men don't ask permission to bear arms !

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 »

norman simmons wrote:Thanks for all the input , now my next question is how did cracker get 240 horse out of his 0360
Cracker's boat ain't no joke!That beotch will run!

bighog11
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by bighog11 »

Tht Lil upstack deff gets it done u never kno where he's going to POP out might be outta the myrtles or the palmetters but u can bet yer sweet hinny he's going to beat everyone to the next stop LOL
Brand new 13'6" PREDATOR WIDETRACK O-540 spinning a 76" terminator and she is "sweeet"!!!!!"DRUNK MINDS SPEAK SOBER THOUGHTS"

Waggs
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Waggs »

Y'all got some efficient engines. My O320 H2AD, I could head out from Cypress or the Port with camping gear. Go set up camp, and ride, ride ride, into the wee hours. Pretty much the same route as Tony says above, with stops of course. I have a 30 gal tank and ran out on the way back to the ramp, had to ciphon some from ol Tom.
12.5' Predator, O320H2AD, 72" Whisper Tip Narrow

Liberty Mechanical Services
Performing all commercial and residential HVAC services
321-689-7709
Making America Cool Again!

KCCO

todd glover
Southern Airboat Member

Post by todd glover »

[quote="Cracker"]I don't uderstand how you guys are figuring MPG, I was buring 6 to 7 Gallons an Hour on the Tach, with the new NGH, I'm down to 4 or 5 an hour, no matter if I run hill all day or water ?
Now I can put a lot of pitch in it and get better,, but then i can't run the hill i just pull a 260 off my brothers boat thanks jim lauderdales fine work as a matter of fact my friend has a badass 200 he build and i use to beat him like a dog now im not saying yours is junk im just saying most people are wrong when they tell people what hpa motor is making what prop pitch and length

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”