Got water in fuel

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
yellow540
Southern Airboat Member

Got water in fuel

Post by yellow540 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Need some help on what to do. Found a little water in my fuel line after I couldnt get boat to turn over. Don't think I ran it with water in the engine, but who knows. Whats my best way to clean out the 540? just filled up the tank and don't want to lose all that fuel, should i trust just adding a fuel water seperator after engine is cleaned out?

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Got water in fuel

Post by akblackdawg » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:05 pm

Drain is and strain it though a filter that seperates water from the fuel. Lot of trouble and you need a large container for your fuel. Another option might be just adding a fuel filter with a water seperator on it, Racor makes some with plastic bottom that seperates the water and you can open the valve and drain out the water that was removed. Also add some HEET (yellow) to help remove water. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:49 am

I know a guy that works on outboards that built a filter system using spin on fuel filters like someone else said. He uses a electric fuel pump and pulls the fuel out of the tank thru the filter and back into the tank. If you already have electric pump on boat you can use that. You can get an filter kit for a boat at marine supply store and temporarily clamp it upright on rigging. take the hose from carb,run it to filter and run a second hose to where you fill tank. Let it run a couple hours and recheck for water.

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:34 pm

water seperator and some goood not cheap shyt water remover and 1 can of sea foam will help er out !!jmo done it worked for me
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”