Thinking bout fuel injection

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
rudee116
Southern Airboat Member

Thinking bout fuel injection

Post by rudee116 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:47 pm

Getting a boat with a carb'd upstack 540 and thinking bout converting it to continental injection. I want to find out how much a turn key system will run me. Already pm'd JT540, just waiting for a response. In the mean time, can anyone recommend someone a little bit closer to me that can hook me up with a good reliable system?

Thanks guys.
14' Don Davis w/ Upstack 0-540

When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. — Benjamin Franklin

Ruagatr
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Thinking bout fuel injection

Post by Ruagatr » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:55 pm

Abner at Keeners machine shop in WPB.

Maddog

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:56 pm

(Just my opinion) if your racing the motor yes run the injection. If not racing no. I've had just as many injected boats as carbureted ones and the carbureted boats where more reliable without the tuning. Like I said just my opinion.
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:58 pm

Yes x2 on Abner he knows is stuff.
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

Waggs
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Waggs » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:01 pm

I have a buddy with an injected upstack, he was thinking about going carb and hasn't yet because the cost of a new sump and so on. Maybe you two could work out a trade.
12.5' Predator, O320H2AD, 72" Whisper Tip Narrow

Liberty Mechanical Services
Performing all commercial and residential HVAC services
321-689-7709
Making America Cool Again!

KCCO

LIL Maddog
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by LIL Maddog » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:03 pm

X3 for Abner. And the injection is very reliable as long as it is tuned and set up right by somebody like Abner.

LIL Maddog
Little George Palm Beach "kit hull". IO-540 with a 1.73:1 Stinger gearbox swinging an 81" 3 blade NGR. Real quiet.
Proud Member of USFTH!

rudee116
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rudee116 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:11 pm

Wow that was quick! I'll call Abner tomorrow. I've been researching and I still have two questions...

1. Does the FI run off an electric pump?
2. Does it make a difference in fuel economy?

These are the two biggest concerns I have. If it needs electrical to run and doesn't make a difference in economy, then I'll just keep the carb.

When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. — Benjamin Franklin

rudee116
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rudee116 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:18 pm

Waggs wrote:I have a buddy with an injected upstack, he was thinking about going carb and hasn't yet because the cost of a new sump and so on. Maybe you two could work out a trade.
Why does he want to switch?

LIL Maddog
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by LIL Maddog » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:18 pm

rudee116 wrote:Wow that was quick! I'll call Abner tomorrow. I've been researching and I still have two questions...

1. Does the FI run off an electric pump?
2. Does it make a difference in fuel economy?

These are the two biggest concerns I have. If it needs electrical to run and doesn't make a difference in economy, then I'll just keep the carb.
1. You need either a primer ball or a small electric pump to start the motor. Once it is started you can turn the pump off and the mechanical injection will do the rest (the system has to be set up properly for this to work though)

2. Yes your fuel economy will improve, but a lot of fuel economy has to do with how your entire boat is set up. Also your throttle response will improve.

LIL Maddog
Little George Palm Beach "kit hull". IO-540 with a 1.73:1 Stinger gearbox swinging an 81" 3 blade NGR. Real quiet.
Proud Member of USFTH!

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:22 pm

LIL Maddog wrote:X3 for Abner. And the injection is very reliable as long as it is tuned and set up right by somebody like Abner.

LIL Maddog
I will agree with that :thumbleft:

rudee116
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rudee116 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:26 pm

Thanks LIL Maddog. The boat has a electric lift pump already so that's no problem. I know fuel economy varies but I guess you're saying that all things being equal, the FI will help. The boat is setup good and runs real free. I'll post up when I get it, just don't want to say much till it's mine.

A little off topic, but speaking of economy, did you ever run your boat without the gear box? If so, did you find that you burn more or less fuel at cruise now?

JT540
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by JT540 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:42 pm

pm sent. call me if you need help.
"THE MORE I LEARN ABOUT WOMEN THE MORE I LOVE MY AIRBOAT"

DIXIENOURMOUS
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DIXIENOURMOUS » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:21 pm

I just got my first IO-540(rsa-10) and I love it jt540 said it will get better economy(then my last boat) but only if I keep my foot out of the gas,I can't seem to do that the thing spools up so dang fast I'm havin to much fun worrying about fuel economy
Call up jt540 he'll point you in the right direction
2013 AGI-A alumitech IO-540

I like Women like 6.0 powerstrokes.............. always blowin

Waggs
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Waggs » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:52 pm

rudee116 wrote:
Waggs wrote:I have a buddy with an injected upstack, he was thinking about going carb and hasn't yet because the cost of a new sump and so on. Maybe you two could work out a trade.
I guess because he doesn't race much, or ride much and just wants the simplicity of a carb.
12.5' Predator, O320H2AD, 72" Whisper Tip Narrow

Liberty Mechanical Services
Performing all commercial and residential HVAC services
321-689-7709
Making America Cool Again!

KCCO

rudee116
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rudee116 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:56 pm

Waggs wrote:
rudee116 wrote:
I guess because he doesn't race much, or ride much and just wants the simplicity of a carb.
10/4. I'll get back to you on a possible trade.

LIL Maddog
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by LIL Maddog » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:32 pm

rudee116 wrote:Thanks LIL Maddog. The boat has a electric lift pump already so that's no problem. I know fuel economy varies but I guess you're saying that all things being equal, the FI will help. The boat is setup good and runs real free. I'll post up when I get it, just don't want to say much till it's mine.

A little off topic, but speaking of economy, did you ever run your boat without the gear box? If so, did you find that you burn more or less fuel at cruise now?
Yes with all things being equal and the only change being carb to FI your economy will increase (especially if you use a lean-rich cable). And no i never ran my boat without a gearbox so i don't know what the difference is if any.
Proud Member of USFTH!

Quick Draw
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Quick Draw » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:04 am

For as much as those gearbox setups costs I hope theres a difference :lol:

Quick Draw
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Quick Draw » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:09 am

If your gonna run the injection be sure you take it to someone like Abner that can get it right if not I wouldn't fool with it. I've got a couple buddy's that have injection and they hate it.

LIL Maddog
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by LIL Maddog » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:33 am

Quick Draw wrote:For as much as those gearbox setups costs I hope theres a difference :lol:
There is most definitely a difference in thrust no doubt, but when talking real numbers on fuel economy from DD to gearbox i don't know on my boat.
Proud Member of USFTH!

rudee116
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rudee116 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:49 am

Quick Draw wrote:If your gonna run the injection be sure you take it to someone like Abner that can get it right if not I wouldn't fool with it. I've got a couple buddy's that have injection and they hate it.
What kinds of problems do they have that makes them hate it??? Trying to get as much info as possible so I can make a decision. There's always pros and cons to anything you do to any engine. Just have to weigh them and try to make an educated decision.

calbrigsr
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by calbrigsr » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:06 am

You will also have to change your mechanical fuel pump to a high volume high output if you are running a mechanical.
Chuck S.J.R.A.A.
11'6 Charlie Jones, FI S/V 0540, 5 Blade 72" Warpdrive.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Qwikdiesel
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Qwikdiesel » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:08 am

IMO,To do it right you'll need a front loader sump for an injected 540. Those straight valve sumps with continental servos don't flow enough for a 300hp angle valve. I've got RSA-10 servos that have been overhauled and calibrated on a certified flow bench if thats the route you want to take.
Rule #1.. There Not Fake If You Can Touch Them!!

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:39 am

I have continental injection on my 540 and love it. I wouldn't trade it for nothing. Starts right up and in the last 6 years hasn't gave me a problem. Knock on wood.

ABilbrey
Southern Airboat Member

Post by ABilbrey » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:44 am

I have io 520 I had stevie jurnigan work on my system and I haven't had a problem sense before he touched it it was a pain in the a$$ to start he also steered me in the right direction with a better inline filter and got me started putting marvle mistry oil in my fuel tank for a little pm for the system setting around between trips sitting under the pole barn anywhere between a couple weeks or a month or so if you live anywhere around plant city id check jurnigans out there one of the best no doubt about ive been useing them for years and they haven't let me down once

mwood7800
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mwood7800 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:59 am

I hated cleaning injectors on the bank. Best move ever going to a carb. I noticed no difference in performance. 540 spacer motor

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”