Electronic ignition

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
tom-tom 863
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Electronic ignition

Post by tom-tom 863 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:49 pm

What is the best most reliable electronic ignition to run and what is the price range for a 4 cylinder? Any input is appreciated! Thanks.
Currently boatless but not for long

billybob
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Electronic ignition

Post by billybob » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:28 pm

Get ahold of Abner at Keeners machine down south.
I do all my own stunts!!!!!!

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:28 pm

X2 on Abner at Keeners machine shop in west palm beach. He sells Electromotive (XDI). on a 6 cylinder mine was $1600 and to me well worth it. If you do the ignition I would put the map sensor on it as well its probably a little more but works well. (561)686-6134 Keeners
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

tom-tom 863
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by tom-tom 863 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:41 pm

farmboy wrote:X2 on Abner at Keeners machine shop in west palm beach. He sells Electromotive (XDI). on a 6 cylinder mine was $1600 and to me well worth it. If you do the ignition I would put the map sensor on it as well its probably a little more but works well. (561)686-6134 Keeners
Farmboy, what is it about electronic ignition that makes it worth while to you?

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:45 pm

based on what ive seen with it id hold out for awhile til all the bugs are worked out esp on a ride boat i see too many people have issues with it jmo
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

todd glover
Southern Airboat Member

Post by todd glover » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:07 pm

I can't see it what willing gain maybe a hotter spark that doesn't do much and more accurate timing I know with mags it fluctuates +- 2 degrees I've seen that I just not sure what you gain I have external coils 50k volts thats almost 3'times hotter than 1200 series mags now what it has done is not lose more than 50 rpm with 1 mag off but I'm not an expert by any means I just try different things but 1600$ I Want to see 100-200 rpm increase jmo

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:14 pm

I've got 95hours on my boat... 50mag hours & 45electronic ignition hours. In the 45 electronic ignition hours my boat has ran smoother on a idle,smoother up an running, more responsive, and better on fuel. In my opinion just more efficient and went to a colder spark plug. Now I'm not saying my mags where exactly timed to a tee but a aircraft motor builder put them on and timed it.... Everybody has there opinions about the ignition but you can ask anyone that's rode,drove or been around my boat will tell ya it runs damm good with it. People say what if the battery goes dead what are you gonna do ? Well it wouldn't matter you sure cant hand prop 9 blades on a geared 480 so what would it matter? And 9 times out of 10 there's other boats around. There's good and bad with anything it's just what works for you.
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

cowtown
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by cowtown » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:19 pm

farmboy wrote:I've got 95hours on my boat... 50mag hours & 45electronic ignition hours. In the 45 electronic ignition hours my boat has ran smoother on a idle,smoother up an running, more responsive, and better on fuel. In my opinion just more efficient and went to a colder spark plug. Now I'm not saying my mags where exactly timed to a tee but a aircraft motor builder put them on and timed it.... Everybody has there opinions about the ignition but you can ask anyone that's rode,drove or been around my boat will tell ya it runs damm good with it. People say what if the battery goes dead what are you gonna do ? Well it wouldn't matter you sure cant hand prop 9 blades on a geared 480 so what would it matter? And 9 times out of 10 there's other boats around. There's good and bad with anything it's just what works for you.

not trying to be a smart butt , but you can hand prop your motor , I have done mine with the ten blade, just depends on how bad them skeeters are , or how bad you wanna leave.
http://usfth.tripod.com

And Proud Of It !!!

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:25 pm

Cowtown I guess your right it does depend on if your out of beer and how bad the bugs are :lol: I would be the first to say there's NO way I would !

cowtown
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by cowtown » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:28 pm

farmboy wrote:Cowtown I guess your right it does depend on if your out of beer and how bad the bugs are :lol: I would be the first to say there's NO way I would !

the skeeter were the size of turkeys , every time they hit , they pulled a pint a blood , had to go , lol , didnt like doing it , but the starter wasnt working ,
http://usfth.tripod.com

And Proud Of It !!!

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:32 pm

cowtown wrote:
farmboy wrote:Cowtown I guess your right it does depend on if your out of beer and how bad the bugs are :lol: I would be the first to say there's NO way I would !

the skeeter were the size of turkeys , every time they hit , they pulled a pint a blood , had to go , lol , didnt like doing it , but the starter wasnt working ,
Lmao :lol: I hear ya on that !

HAMMERHEAD
Southern Airboat Member

Post by HAMMERHEAD » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:55 pm

YOU CAN HAVE YOUR BUDDY GIVE YOU A JUMPSTART THEN PULL THE CABLES OFF AND DRIVE BACK TO THE HILL THOUGH, OR RIDE FOR THE REST OF THE DAY AND GET A JUMP EVERY TIME YOU NEED TO GET IT STARTED. OR WITH THE DSI YOU CAN GET PULLED BACK TO THE HILL AND GO HOME. JUST SAYIN!

tom-tom 863
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by tom-tom 863 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:09 pm

HAMMERHEAD wrote:YOU CAN HAVE YOUR BUDDY GIVE YOU A JUMPSTART THEN PULL THE CABLES OFF AND DRIVE BACK TO THE HILL THOUGH, OR RIDE FOR THE REST OF THE DAY AND GET A JUMP EVERY TIME YOU NEED TO GET IT STARTED. OR WITH THE DSI YOU CAN GET PULLED BACK TO THE HILL AND GO HOME. JUST SAYIN!
This may be a dumb question but what is DSI?

HAMMERHEAD
Southern Airboat Member

Post by HAMMERHEAD » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:42 pm

DIS IS PROBABLY NOT THE BEST TERM FOR AN AIRBOAT APP. BUT ITS THE ELECTRONIC IGNITION SYSTEM. IM NOT SURE WHERE GARY ARMSTRONG IS LOCATED BUT HE SELLS THE SYSTEM AS WELL AND IS A SUPER NICE GUY, I THINK HE GOES BY GKA540 ON HERE. I HAD 2 CASES OF DISLEXIA!

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:43 pm

DIS, if you are running nitromethane it works well, but you aren't going to hand prop it1.5 revolutions to start it. Mags are simple.
I never finish anyth,,,.

scottymartin
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottymartin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:15 am

:thumbleft:
X2 for Gary Armstrong, GKA540..Knows his stuff..and can think out of the box :scratch:

He does the electronic ignition and loves it... fair in pricing as well. :)
Little Bear 12' Scorpion w / O-360 200hp

Bubba
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Bubba » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:56 am

Gary is the man!!!
FLIRTIN WITH DISASTER

GKA 0540
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by GKA 0540 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:13 pm

Hey Thomas, i sent you a p.m. The kit i use comes from Keeners, i sent you thier number, Abner and I are neighbors and do alot of these together. call me if i can help you with anything, Gary (561)722-8444

tom-tom 863
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by tom-tom 863 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:17 pm

Thanks man will do!

Marshandmarine
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Marshandmarine » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:55 pm

i have installed lots of elctroair kits witch is the same thing a elctromotive, the ECU'S are the same the only differnce is the sticker on the box.. the only other differnce is on the crank sensor, elctomotive uses a sensor the goes on the block that picks up on the fly wheel witch some air crafts engines are done the same way but on the 4 cylnd. i like the mag style pick up it works really well..

tom-tom 863
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by tom-tom 863 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:12 pm

I've heard that electroair isn't as good as electromotive. Not sure why this is just what I've heard.

Marshandmarine
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Marshandmarine » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:19 pm

Ive worked with elctromotive on quite a few jobs ive done, the ecu's is made by electromotive and some of the mag pickups were made by electroair when you get the elctroair kit there is a elctromotive manual in the elctroair kit.. there is really no price difference in the two i would order the elctroair kit simply b.c you will get every thing you need in one order. elctroair has nothing to do with the mag pick up design how ever it is still there crank sensor that goes in the mag pick up. also when they are installed on aircraft they are only allowed to run one set of plugs on the electronic ignition so when ordering make sure you tell them you will be using two coil packs and not one

Marshandmarine
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Marshandmarine » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:25 pm

electromotive has nothing to do with the mag style pick ups** sorry about that.

Kennyjoe
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Kennyjoe » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:34 pm

I seen another kit on lake hatchnaha some friends are building from St. Cloud. Really clean looking, don't get to see them much, my cousin rides with them all the time. They are all riding some badass steps hulls. Going to put one on my boat when I can afford it.
DD supercharged 0-480 13 ft. Lazer 3 blade ngh

tom-tom 863
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by tom-tom 863 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

What were their systems like?

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”