Lightweight batteries

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Lightweight batteries

Post by lariat »

Does anyone have any experience with the lightweight batteries? I'm thinking of going to one, but don't want to run into problems. I don't run a lot at night, but when I do I usually run two headlights. Engine is a 540 with an alternator, but I don't know the output of it.

billybob
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Lightweight batteries

Post by billybob »

It's nice to have two batteries but the way I look at it is your running an alternator so you should be good since a small pick up truck runs headlights with one battery.
I do all my own stunts!!!!!!

flshooter
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by flshooter »

I run an oddessy and do quite a bit of nite riding, plus sitting around playing the stereo, never have a problem.
IO-520 72"Q series on a hawk step

norman simmons
Southern Airboat Member

Post by norman simmons »

What size fishshooter

Wild Bill
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Wild Bill »

If you are running at night at idle with lots of lights, high load, make sure the alternator you pick can carry that load. You don't want your battery dieing while you are running. If the alternator can't keep up that would be a really good reason to have a second battery so if you have a pretty much dead battery after 4 hours of frogging and it can't start your engine you have a way to start the engine. From what I have noticed while the spiral cores have fantastic cranking capacity they don't necessarily have fantastic reserve power. If you are cruising at night at rpm you don't need as much of an alternator. I like the spiral core battery's but the right alternator is the key, they don't seem to like a high charge rate so If it's dead first they won't accept a high charge rate initially and once they start pulling the power in they seem to get a little warmer than lead acid. Capable charging system and it's not an issue. 2 headlights cruising not an issue, 20 amp discharge while idleing around is an issue.

big3country8
Southern Airboat Member

Post by big3country8 »

I run a braille no weight 21lb battery. 1380 cranking amps for the first 5 seconds I think and goes down progessively from there. Used it gator hunting and many many night rides and nevwr a problem.
Temporary High
12' clendenin aluminum step with poly, 418 waterthunder, 2.68 OX, 9 blade saber, ATF rigged, nitrous outlet,, buttrax custom seats.

flshooter
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by flshooter »

Its a 925 Pc battery,very light
IO-520 72"Q series on a hawk step

gchuckie
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gchuckie »

I've had two of the brailles and neither one has lasted a year going to give the Oddesey a try!

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by PeaRiverOpossum »

Get one of our new 3800 Lm LED Hatlights and LED Lightbars and you wont have to worry about it anymore :mrgreen: AND you will have MUCH MORE light than you currently have and less amp draw.

stonny9
Southern Airboat Member

Post by stonny9 »

You can buy lithium/LiPo4 batteries. Look around online. I was browsing the other day and saw one company that makes them in clear cases. You can even make them yourself. Check out electric car and bike forums if u want to build them. Make sure they come with a BMW so the cells charge properly.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”