aircraft parts for central florida and temp. help

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
swampdaddy5000
Southern Airboat Member

aircraft parts for central florida and temp. help

Post by swampdaddy5000 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:16 am

Looking for the best place to order parts for my gpu any help would be greatly appreciated.

another thing this weekend i tried mixing 93 and av with a lead additive for the fist time and i was running over 180. Before this when i was running straight av it would usually stay at 180 or under. Any help to lower my temp would be great. i have a oversized oil cooler and its clean i might try and replace the air filter soon and see if that helps.
:florida:

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: aircraft parts for central florida and temp. help

Post by Bruce » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:27 am

stanley airboats will have what you need 407 927 9701
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:01 am

Go back to AV gas.

blown480
Southern Airboat Member

Post by blown480 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:15 am

i have all the parts you need for that motor, rings, seals gaskets, pistons etc, call me 321-636-4897, danny , cocoa,fl

doubledown0540
Southern Airboat Member

Post by doubledown0540 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:52 pm

i ahve always seen if your oil lines are bigger than 3/8 inch then the oil is moving to fast through the oil cooler and not cooling it down. jmo try smaller oil lines
13ft Rivermaster with poly
sv 540 with mid compression pistons
72 in water walker signature series
rigged for me and the wife
Completely built by me.

sseater
Southern Airboat Member

Post by sseater » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:20 pm

gary barber 863-698-0383

stanleysio55o
Southern Airboat Member

Post by stanleysio55o » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:42 pm

Call jc stanley hes got what u need 407 927 9701

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:07 pm

ok octane Stops detonation that will make a motor run hotter and less efficient. I know a shroud made my 540 run allot cooler.

With the right octane the spark is what ignites the fuel so you don't have pre detonation or dieseling

Waggs
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Waggs » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:05 pm

doubledown0540 wrote:i ahve always seen if your oil lines are bigger than 3/8 inch then the oil is moving to fast through the oil cooler and not cooling it down. jmo try smaller oil lines

Wouldn't smaller diameter increase velocity and decrease volume?
12.5' Predator, O320H2AD, 72" Whisper Tip Narrow

Liberty Mechanical Services
Performing all commercial and residential HVAC services
321-689-7709
Making America Cool Again!

KCCO

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:30 pm

Waggs wrote:
doubledown0540 wrote:i ahve always seen if your oil lines are bigger than 3/8 inch then the oil is moving to fast through the oil cooler and not cooling it down. jmo try smaller oil lines

Wouldn't smaller diameter increase velocity and decrease volume?
No smaller line restrict the volume of oil that can flow make it less efficient , like everything with airboat it is a small difference

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

mwthomp70
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mwthomp70 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:30 pm

check the jets a long time airboater told me the fuel is a big part of the colling

Wild Bill
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Wild Bill » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:00 pm

If you look at the oil diagram, http://www.southernairboat.com/pdf/airc ... ualpdf.pdf
figure 2-3, page 15 the oil goes direct to the mains when cold but when warm the oil leaves the block and goes through the oil cooler and back to the block and then to the mains. To long of hose, to small a diameter and a restrictive cooler or fittings could reduce the volume of oil to the mains and rods below what is needed possibly resulting in bearing faster bearing wear or spun bearings. Ports are 1/2", run 1/2". Just the friction of the wall of the hose will reduce flow so cold places could benifit from even larger hose, 90 degree fittings don't help.

I have read on here where guys adjust timing to run auto fuel, cooler temp's, less power and cheaper fuel.

jinotown
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by jinotown » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:31 pm

swampdaddy5000 wrote:Looking for the best place to order parts for my gpu any help would be greatly appreciated.

another thing this weekend i tried mixing 93 and av with a lead additive for the fist time and i was running over 180. Before this when i was running straight av it would usually stay at 180 or under. Any help to lower my temp would be great. i have a oversized oil cooler and its clean i might try and replace the air filter soon and see if that helps.
:florida:
93 octane has a higher btu output than 100LL, so your temps will be slightly higher. There are many other factors to consider such as outside air temp and how long you where running. That engine is perfectly fine up 210 degrees steady oil temp.. It's good to heat it up and evaporate the condensed water out of the oil once in a while. Continental actually approves most of those engines up to 225 degrees continuous operation. If you really want to keep it cool, go with a shroud.
13 1/2 Cottonmouth 520 Continental

doubledown0540
Southern Airboat Member

Post by doubledown0540 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:16 pm

my thoughts with the smaller lines would slow the oil down and allow it to get cooler in the oil cooler. I could be wrong just a thought
13ft Rivermaster with poly
sv 540 with mid compression pistons
72 in water walker signature series
rigged for me and the wife
Completely built by me.

Wild Bill
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Wild Bill » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:59 pm

Oil flow is determined by main bearing clearance, rod bearing clearance, cam to case clearance, all the other ports that are supplied oil and leakage inside the block like possibly the oil transfer to the other side of the block through the camshaft. The only other leak is the pressure relief valve and that one happens before the oil gets to the cooler. Vantherms can leak and they are supposed to block a port so all the oil goes through the cooler when the engine is hot, It was evident on both my engines that the vantherm wasn't sealing completely and bleeding hot oil back to the other side of the block. I imagine vantherms can also stick just like a thermostat possibly never blocking off the passage to send oil through the oil cooler. If you slow the oil down to much through the cooler depending on leakage inside the block and from what I have seen most likely mains you won't get enough oil to the mains and then the rods. If the oil leaks past the mains because of excessive clearance you won't get much oil to your rods. Unless someone has left a port open like the factory starter drive assembly after they installed a flywheel starter and removed the factory starter drive assembly from what I have seen the mains are the biggest culprit. I was told the 470 pump will pump enough oil for the mains to run on brass and if you are getting close to that case you certainly don't want to restrict the cooler or line size, you want as much volume as possible. Another or larger oil cooler plumbed properly, vantherm block off, shrouding, timing, may have to check or try any one of those but keep restriction to the cooler and back to the block to a minimum because the mains and rods and 3 cam bearings don't get any oil till it goes through the cooler in a hot situation.

If you installed a temp gauge before and after the cooler and noticed cooler temps through the cooler with it restricted you will most likely doing harm to the engine because like I say the flow is controlled by clearances and if it is flowing that much it needs it.

Pretty much the only thing that is oiled before leaving the block or being bypassed to the other side is the lifters on that side of the block.

FLA BOY
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FLA BOY » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:34 pm

Definitely call Stanley. Great guys that will treat you right!
GSO480/12' Hammant
GPU/12' Richochet

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”