Franklin 6 cylinder anybody know the pitch for wood prop ?

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
MAKEN BACON
Southern Airboat Member

Franklin 6 cylinder anybody know the pitch for wood prop ?

Post by MAKEN BACON »

just got a new boat it has a franklin 6 cyl on it the prop that is on it now is a 66 inch
32 pitch havent put a tach on the boat yet but something isnt right cause it wont run dry
ground at all wont even move !! the hull is only 11.7 .. motor runs good no miss fires or nothing bottom is a little worn
upstackkid92
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Franklin 6 cylinder anybody know the pitch for wood prop

Post by upstackkid92 »

Deff need to get a tach that prop seems under pitched I believe a franklin is around 190 HP maybe try a 68 34 or 36 but I wouldnt run it up hard without knowing rpms how did it run on the water?
MAKEN BACON
Southern Airboat Member

Post by MAKEN BACON »

havent took it on the water yet unloaded it at my house to fix the trailer up ,and went to move the boat and was very surprised when it didn't move . getting a tach this week and see what
its turning .. bad part is the boat was lighter then it ever will be only had 3 gallons of gas no cooler and only one person ..
Oleboy87
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Oleboy87 »

Get rid of that wood prop and get a prop that you can adjust to your likings! Jmo!
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

I used to run the Kissimmee Chain with a guy that had a Franklin on a 12' Grasshopper years ago. He called it a 210 (hp). It did pretty good on the hill.

Can't remember what size prop though. I seem to remember the 180's running 68x38's from my stick prop days so I'd have to agree w/upstackkid92 about needing more prop if it's the same motor I mentioned.

Rick
upstackkid92
Southern Airboat Member

Post by upstackkid92 »

If your around citrus county I've got a couple warp drives u can try off my 160 to see where your at compared to that
southern safaris
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by southern safaris »

i had a franklin on my old stinson 108-1 voyager... 150hp and i know they made a 165 for the 108-3 or 165hp for the stc approved float option,, just my experience with them, there are thick case and thin case models, the thick case model is the sought after one in the aircraft circles, mine was a 1947 thick case and i loved it , never let me down , but she did like oil
Anthony Hughes
Madison FL
850-973-2642
580-228-5782 cell
Facebook.com/hughesairboats.com
Aluminum round-sided hulls
bruceharwell
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by bruceharwell »

if its an upstack its a 259 HP. My old friend Dale Stierwalt ran one back in the '70's.... :shock: I ran a 150 on a palm beach hull at the same time and it was a TURD. As I recall the prop was a 66x34, turned it 2800. I shoulda put a winch on the front of that boat. Good thing I was young....
MAKEN BACON
Southern Airboat Member

Post by MAKEN BACON »

Called fl airboat in winter heaven and boy did I get
A surprise it's a 8 bolt which he said they only
Made that in a 145 - 150 hp motor I was thinking
I was buying the 200 - 220 motor they make
MAKEN BACON
Southern Airboat Member

Post by MAKEN BACON »

So I think I bought a turd and got bigger problems then
A prop .. Should of went back to GPU hell it ran ground
No problem but wanted true aircraft ...
Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

southern safaris wrote:i had a franklin on my old stinson 108-1 voyager... 150hp and i know they made a 165 for the 108-3 or 165hp for the stc approved float option,, just my experience with them, there are thick case and thin case models, the thick case model is the sought after one in the aircraft circles, mine was a 1947 thick case and i loved it , never let me down , but she did like oil
Safaris, there's a Stinson on float gear hanging from the ceiling in the Bass Pro Shop up in Atlanta. Beautiful. If you're ever up that way, check it out.
I seem to remember that the Franklins had a slightly different bolt pattern on their prop hubs. May be wrong. :scratch:

The Franklins were unique, and they had one engineering feature I really liked. They had a cover plate bolted to the top of the engine cases.
You could remove that plate and change a piston/rod assembly right on the airplane ..... no need to split the cases.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW
upstackkid92
Southern Airboat Member

Post by upstackkid92 »

im sure with a little work you can have it running ground fine I wouldn't just give up on it yet. my boat was the same way when I got it, drove three hours to south florida to pick it up and the exact same thing happened to me wouldn't even budge on flat ground but about two weeks of doing little adjustments it runs very well on ground now. what size hull is it on and how bad is the bottom?
Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

While you may not have got the 200-220 motor you thought you were getting, those old Razorback Franklins are some fine engines. So are the ones with the flat plate on top. They have proved their worth hauling countless airplanes through the skies in some of the finest aircraft ever devised by the hand of man. The Stinson 108-2 or-3 being one of them. Its still a fine general purpose airboat engine. For sure don't just trash it, some soul would be proud to have it on their boat. It wont command the same prices that Lycoming and Continental does but its nowhere near a piece of junk either. It may not fit your desires but it is not a turd. For those who know there is a market out there. :wink:
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.
Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

What Scotty said. There is a need for them in the general aviation market too. Some guy may be restoring a classic airplane and your
engine may be just what he needs. It's a long way from junk!
MAKEN BACON
Southern Airboat Member

Post by MAKEN BACON »

It has a flat plate on top of the motor and
Has a 8 bolt hub . But I can't find any #s on
It to know what motor I really have . I post some
Pictures of it tomorrow :violent1:
MAKEN BACON
Southern Airboat Member

Post by MAKEN BACON »

upstackkid92
11.7 hull and bottom is pretty ruff just tilted it
And seen they put black paint on we're it rode hard
To make it look better so it does make me believe
It ran ground with a new bottom on it
boobidges
Southern Airboat Member

Post by boobidges »

.do you know anythingabout your Franklin? Is it a helicopterengine?it will have a metal seal plate on the backand will have a prop adapter .it can be six or 8 bolts depending on who built it. There's a classifieds sectiono Www.barnstormers. com.it will give you contacts for people who can actuallyhelp you withyour engine.
Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

boobidges wrote:.do you know anythingabout your Franklin? Is it a helicopterengine?it will have a metal seal plate on the backand will have a prop adapter .it can be six or 8 bolts depending on who built it. There's a classifieds sectiono http://Www.barnstormers. com.it will give you contacts for people who can actuallyhelp you withyour engine.
It couldn't be a helicopter engine .... their oiling system was completely different because they were designed to run with the crankshaft in a vertical position, much like the Lycoming engines in the Army OH-13.

The Army called the Hiller an OH-23. They were the ones (some of them) that used the Franklin engines. An instructor pilot and I flew one once for about an hour so that they could show me as qualified on that type, and to be very honest with you, I was real glad when we got that little bird back on the dirt.
The Hiller helicopters (Fairchild-Hiller) were just plainass strange. They felt way underpowered, they dropped like a limestone rock in autorotation, and the controls felt like it feels when you're driving an old pickup and all the tie rod ends are worn out. Very sloppy.
It had a Franklin engine though, and as I remember (it's been over 45 yrs.) that engine ran just fine.
Crazy Frog
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Crazy Frog »

MAKEN BACON wrote:Called fl airboat in winter heaven and boy did I get
A surprise it's a 8 bolt which he said they only
Made that in a 145 - 150 hp motor I was thinking
I was buying the 200 - 220 motor they make
After seeing your first post...I thought their is no way somebody would run a 66"x 32" prop on a Franklin O-335! :scratch: That size and pitch would be in the 125 hp range?? My Dad and uncle ran Franklins for years and loved them..you just need a good Franklin mechanic (not many left) or just ID what ya got! Are the Jugs squared off or rounded like the old Conti's? Franklin made a good list of HP ranges ...so finding the correct prop be important! Post some pictures??
Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

Hey Bacon,

I have looked at a couple a Franklins over the years and had saved this thread for that purpose.

May not answer pitch question, but a treasure trove of Franklin info nonetheless.
Whatever help or info you may need or want will be available here somewhere.

http://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB3/v ... 7&t=30488&

Deano
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan
southern safaris
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by southern safaris »

Olf Art wrote:
southern safaris wrote:i had a franklin on my old stinson 108-1 voyager... 150hp and i know they made a 165 for the 108-3 or 165hp for the stc approved float option,, just my experience with them, there are thick case and thin case models, the thick case model is the sought after one in the aircraft circles, mine was a 1947 thick case and i loved it , never let me down , but she did like oil
Safaris, there's a Stinson on float gear hanging from the ceiling in the Bass Pro Shop up in Atlanta. Beautiful. If you're ever up that way, check it out.
I seem to remember that the Franklins had a slightly different bolt pattern on their prop hubs. May be wrong. :scratch:

The Franklins were unique, and they had one engineering feature I really liked. They had a cover plate bolted to the top of the engine cases.
You could remove that plate and change a piston/rod assembly right on the airplane ..... no need to split the cases.
funny how the ol franklins were considered a performance pig by a lot of other pilots, but they sure liked flying my old stinson, 4 folks and full of fuel shed still hope right off the ground and performed beautiful, man i miss that plane,, even had the float attatchments , ill stop in that bass pro next shot through , id sure like to see it .. thanks olf :salute:
Anthony Hughes
Madison FL
850-973-2642
580-228-5782 cell
Facebook.com/hughesairboats.com
Aluminum round-sided hulls
Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

I've seen a few Stinsons on the grass here and there but never got a chance to handle one. They have beautiful lines and a fine lookin' wing so I'm sure they're a pleasure to fly.
I soloed at 14 in a little Piper Colt, got my private at 16 in a Tri Pacer, put some time of a couple Cessna 150's, got to fly dual in the Army in a Beaver and an L-19 Bird dog, dated a girl for a few weeks whose daddy owned a Champ, took a cross country in a Mooney a couple times, flew a Bonanza dual to Oshkosh one year, sat in the right seat of a KC-141 Starlifter for a couple hours at 41,000 ft.
Flew helicopters for the Army during VN, and nearly killed myself more than once one Summer in a Piper Pawnee crop duster.
I've been blessed.

I haven't done any flying to speak of for years, but I know it's still in my loins. If granny and I ever hit those right six numbers some Saturday night I'll be making these posts on a laptop from a float plane in the Carribean. :lol:
Last edited by Olf Art on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Ken the Stinson 108 had leading edge slats in the wings and the -3 I think had a huge tail wich would get your attention during gusty ground handling. The 108 could cruise with the Cessna 172s of the era and at time might best the 172 because of the conventional gear. I came within a gnats hind end of buying one that was in the T-hangers here in Melbourne back in the late 80s. I guess I let the nay sayers about conventional gear scare me since I was still a student and only been in tricycle gear as a student. Wish I was as stubborn then as I am now, I'd probably still own it. If I hit the magic six Sat night we will both go get our planes and use them to haul peanuts and molasses back to FL !
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

Whitebear wrote:Ken the Stinson 108 had leading edge slats in the wings and the -3 I think had a huge tail wich would get your attention during gusty ground handling. The 108 could cruise with the Cessna 172s of the era and at time might best the 172 because of the conventional gear. I came within a gnats hind end of buying one that was in the T-hangers here in Melbourne back in the late 80s. I guess I let the nay sayers about conventional gear scare me since I was still a student and only been in tricycle gear as a student. Wish I was as stubborn then as I am now, I'd probably still own it. If I hit the magic six Sat night we will both go get our planes and use them to haul peanuts and molasses back to FL !
I'll hold you to that, Bear ..... back in the day they ran rum from Cuba. We can run white lightnin' and molasses from Wallins Creek, KY. :lol:
Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

DEAL ! ! ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”