Lycoming 360 updraft sump

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
scroggins44
Southern Airboat Member

Lycoming 360 updraft sump

Post by scroggins44 »

I'm looking for a lycoming 360 updraft sump and carb.i have a complete ha6 rebuilt by twister69 and front load sump for sale or if interested in trade pm me and let me know what ya got thanks

sseater
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Lycoming 360 updraft sump

Post by sseater »

out of curiostiy, why are you switching?

scroggins44
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scroggins44 »

Cause the guy that built my motor is very meticulous about things and doesn't seem to think that it's the best combo for my motor he wants to put a 4-5 or 470 carb on my motor.

pirate
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by pirate »

The HA-6 series carburetor differs only in the fact that the float bowl is in a different position making it a side draft as opposed to an up draft. Other than that they both operate the same. The main reason some Lycoming Engines use the HA-6 is due to space in the engine compartment of the aircraft. HA-6's are used on O-320's
O-36o's, and O-540's. Two turbocharged versions of the O-360, the TO-360-F1A6D & C1A6D both use a HA-6 and both develop 210 hp @2575 rpm.

When we first rebuilt my O-360 a number of years ago I couldn't find an updraft sump or the correct MA 4-5 carburetor so I ran a front load sump with a HA-6 and had no problems. But to each his own.
Compromise is failure on the installment plan.

stanleysio55o
Southern Airboat Member

Post by stanleysio55o »

Call jc stanley he has what u are looking for 4079279701

blown480
Southern Airboat Member

Post by blown480 »

i have big tube , 1 3/4" tube pans and rebuilt carbs , call me 321-636-4897, danny

Outlawaircraftengines
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Outlawaircraftengines »

I got oil pans, tubes, and carbs as well.
Gary Barber
Outlaw Aircraft Engines
www.outlawaircraftengines.com
863-698-0383

Qwikdiesel
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Qwikdiesel »

Inject it! Problem solved :D
Rule #1.. There Not Fake If You Can Touch Them!!

scroggins44
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scroggins44 »

Injection is great if u are familiar with tuning on it or u just like having somthing that never runs right...te money it costs to get a good fuel injection setup that will be reliable out weighs the benefits of actually having fuel injection..but that's my 2 cents worth. I like my carbs if I could ever get what I'm looking for

pirate
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by pirate »

Cause the guy that built my motor is very meticulous about things and doesn't seem to think that it's the best combo for my motor he wants to put a 4-5 or 470 carb on my motor.
If he's that meticulous why would he consider installing a carburetor set up for an O-470? If your HA-6 was rebuilt by Twister69 and is set up for an O-360 I would think you'd be better with what you have. Just saying

scroggins44
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scroggins44 »

It's easy to speculate without knowing all the facts.. But yes if life was just that simple it wouldn't be any fun.. Just sayin

pirate
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by pirate »

Wasn't really speculating.....mostly just wondering.... whatever.

scroggins44
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scroggins44 »

Pirate idk the answer to why he wants to do that but I trust him and if he tells me that setup is better then what I have now... Then I'm willing to try it. He is a pretty smart feller and what's it gonna hurt? If it doesn't work then I'm right back where i was. Trial and error without that we wouldn't know jack... Jack

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 »

Who's your builder?

scroggins44
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scroggins44 »

Flint whitelaw

pirate
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by pirate »

I was told by a local builder pretty much the same thing about the HA-6. That it wouldn't work that well on an airboat but he couldn't really tell me why.

I e-mailed Mike Thurman and asked his opinion. He told me basically that he had built quite a few engines and installed the HA-6 and didn't have a problem with them. In fact he told me he felt that had a better airflow as was facing forward and not between the headers.

I contacted a gentleman at Southern Fuel about rebuilding mine and asked his opinion. He said he didn't have a problem with them either and thought that a lot of folks (non aircraft mechanics) weren't familiar with them and didn't know how to set them up. His words not mine.

I've also heard that JC Stanley uses the 540 model on a carbureted version of the 520 Continental. Like I said that's what I've heard. May or may not be true

Like I said mine ran just fine. In all honesty though....I did what you're going to do. My adopted son-in-law is rebuilding my engine and seems to think the same as your builder, basically because he's never worked on a HA-6 and doesn't know anything about it. I bought an updraft sump and carburetor just to show him there's no difference.

If you get the parts you're looking for let me know what you think. In the meantime it's your engine. Do as you wish.

scroggins44
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scroggins44 »

I gotcha pirate... Yeah I've heard good and bad about the ha 6... Mine actually runs just fine. The only problem I have with my ha 6 is that is black smokes when you step on the gas peddle from a dead stop and has some hesitation.other then that it idles smooth and plugs are clean. My builder tried the 470 carb on a motor identical to mine and it performs better with the 470 carb. Better snap and better fuel mileage...I get what everyone says about the ha 6 being the same as a 4-5 but if they were the same then why can't you rejet the ha 6 and get the same snap and improved fuel mileage out of the ha 6 as u do the 4-5. In aircraft the ha 6 is great cause u gradually excelerate and In my experiences in airboat I never gradually excelerate... Who knows... Idk... But I will soon find out on my own and I will keep this updated once I figure it out

pirate
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by pirate »

You may have an air bleed blockage in your idle tube. PM me your private e-mail address if you wish and I'll send a trouble shooting chart. It's an adobe attachment and I don't know how to send it on SA

stanleysio55o
Southern Airboat Member

Post by stanleysio55o »

Built many set ups with the ha_6 from 470 to 550 and had twins on dads 8 cylinder the are a great carb to run, for the carb guys, I bet ben has built 50 motors last year with that set up.

Mike Thurman
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Mike Thurman »

If your HA-6 blows smoke and runs rich, then what do you think a 6 cylinder 470 carb is gonna do? I can save you the trial and error time with that one.. Just out of curiosity what 10- number is your HA-6?. Ideally you need 4-5 10-3878 or 10- 4064. There is one other 180 carb 10- number that I cant remember off the top of my head. Maybe 5054. To waste your time or money on any other carb will not be any better than what you have now. You could lean your HA back a little with the mixture lever to probably run a little cleaner. To get any other carb and trying to "rejet" is is just a waste of time unless you have a flow bench and can adjust the economizer valve and other mixture tubes. The best carb for a 180 is one of the 3 that is designed for it with the mixture arm pulled back a little from full rich.
Airboat Headquarters Inc.
Sensenich Propeller Dealer
Bud Marquis Supporter

bradlist
Southern Airboat Member

Post by bradlist »

I am interested in the forward facing intake. Is it from a lycoming IO 360 A1A? Does it have a data plate with description and numbers that include 360 A1A? I currently have an IO 360 B1A that has the rear facing oil sump, with the HA6 below the magnetos and fuel pump. This would be for sale once the forward facing oil sump was obtained. What are the part numbers, and what is your price for the sump and pipes? I am also currently looking for bendix or slick magnetos, and the light weight B&C or ND 12 volt alternator. Brad List bradleylist@yahoo.com
I am not interested in selling the fuel pump or injection. I am sure the RS A-5AB1 and its accompanying fuel pump are the ones that came with this HIO 360 B1A originally.
LW-13864 is the part number of the forward facing oil sump I am looking for. Or part number 74384
Nippondenso 14684 alternator and standard mounting bracket, and hardware.
Last edited by bradlist on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

scroggins44
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scroggins44 »

Bradlist I've never seen a forward facing sump like you are describing...I have the same "rear facing" sump u have with carb under mags

todd glover
Southern Airboat Member

Post by todd glover »

Are you selling the fuel pump as well because that pump won't work with an ma 4-5

secretweaponIGSO
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by secretweaponIGSO »

I have a nice set of Jurnigan rebuilt mags. They are off my 200. I went with electronic ignition on mine. 2 mags, plug wires and boots, make offer for all. 352-400-8935.
Marshmaster-O540-Sensnich-Ride Boat

scroggins44
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scroggins44 »

Todd what's wrong with my fuel pump? I think my problems will be solved with the new carb i got its a 4-5 10-3878... If it doesn't do it for me I'm pretty set on meeting up with Joey a.k.a quick diesel for a fuel injection system..now I just have to get my new boat finished to figure it all out!!!

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”