Guess I bought a.lemon.220 gpu..

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
Airboatermike54321
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Airboatermike54321 »

hi.guys...well been.a.interesting.wkend..i.bought my boat a.cple.weejs.ago and my wife n I were able.to.get in some decent riding at the.place we.love to stay at n ride..but over the course of the.weekend I had some issues come up from my.engine.thats got.me worried..first my oil pressure is almost zilch..starts up n runs fine but.only holds 20 psi of oil pressure cold and as it warms up it drops to about.5psi..well thinkin it maybe the gauge.i put.on.a new one..same.thing...also my temps been.gettn.high aswell..almost 220dgs on my oil temp...and another thing is I have almos rt white smoke from my left bank of my.engine.when.idleing but not while up to.power.and on that same side.of.engine I pulled.the.plugs and.2 had oil deposits n black on.them..so at this point because.my finances.are.low after buying this lemon as im.calling it is there anything I can.do besides a rebuild to bring up my oil pressure and.get that smoke.to stop?..im turning a.72lxl32 paddle up to 3000rpm w out anyproblems..with d21 plugs in.it...any suggestions? :dontknow:
if.you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough...here hold.my my beer n watch this...

kajunoutlaw
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Guess I bought a.lemon.220 gpu..

Post by kajunoutlaw »

Not sure if a gpu is the same as ac, but, if its similiar try putting some washers behind the thermostat spring to keep it open. As far as for the white smoke, it sounds like you have some bad rings. As far as for temperature, try building a cowling for your motor. Im not a mechanic so take my advice with a grain of salt. Good luck.
Great minds discuss ideas, Average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.
Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

kajunoutlaw
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by kajunoutlaw »

The best piece of advice ican give you, would be to PM John Fenner. He is a very nice fella and knows his shiot, especially about continental.
Great minds discuss ideas, Average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.
Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

DIBBS7J
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DIBBS7J »

Check your oil screen and strech the spring out a little. I have a lil smoke at idle but goes away at any higher rpm than idle i run ngk ab-6 plugs gapped at .020 i've learned that any higher gap and it idles like crap. What oil are you running? And what carb?
14x8
5.3 Efi Rotator 2.37 82" sensenich 2-blade R

It is what it is

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Comanche-pup »

Also your temp would more than Likely be in intake leak, replace your o rings, the spring they are talking about is for pressure

DIBBS7J
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DIBBS7J »

Fill in your profile sure someone close by can help you!
14x8
5.3 Efi Rotator 2.37 82" sensenich 2-blade R

It is what it is

Airboatermike54321
Southern Airboat Member

I cleaned myboil.screen.already..it was dirty..but didnt help..im also running areshell avoil 100..and 500cfm holly 2bbl carb..
if.you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough...here hold.my my beer n watch this...

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) »

This mike that was at orange? This is Brad. Have no input for u but good luck
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce »

Man when buyin a gpu u cant take peoples word for it sounds to me like it needs an overhaul stretching the spring is a nigerian rig and will probably cost you more in the long run what all was in the screen when u cleaned it?
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

Airboatermike54321
Southern Airboat Member

Hey brad.yea its mike from.orange.lol..and yea I guess this ones gnna.cost me ..i figured it was a rebuild overall that was going to.be the bottom line..ohwell..rekon.shes going to be a trailer queen.for awhile..my oil screen was full of just trasky oil deposits..didnt have any metal or anything in the screen..

Blownaway540
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Blownaway540 »

If you want to check for intake leaks - spray starting fluid or carb cleaner around intake, but NOT into carb, while running, rpm will increase if intake sucks in starter fluid. But do not mistake carb causing speed increase over leak increase. JMO
IGSO 0540 (W/out IG) built by the late, great, Dick Hoffman, 13 ft. Alumitech. Member - CRA, KRVSA

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Comanche-pup »

Blownaway540 wrote:If you want to check for intake leaks - spray starting fluid or carb cleaner around intake, but NOT into carb, while running, rpm will increase if intake sucks in starter fluid. But do not mistake carb causing speed increase over leak increase. JMO
X2. Rebuilding won't stop from running hot if intake is leaking

g1moore1
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by g1moore1 »

Mine did the same thing until i finally realized that when i bought my 220 that the GPU oil cooler on it had been painted pretty thick with gray paint. After i changed the oil cooler out it never got over 190 on oil temp. Guess the fins were so blocked up with paint that it couldn't cool right. At least that's what fixed mine anyway.

Edit: I also tightened up my intake clamps to but i didn't check if they were sucking air. Good luck..

Gerald
Jeffords/520 on a 13' Gilileo/Phillips hull. Running a 72" WT narrow. (Needs bigger prop now)

http://WWW.USFTH.COM

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory »

Mike, I've run GPU's for over 20 years. They were manufactured in the 40's and 50's so they are on their way out. D16 and D21's will make high head temp's, go to d14. ANY plug is going to foul at this point. Intake o'rings are probably brittle and valve guides are a big problem. A compression test will show ring and valve condition on each cylinder. Oil pressure is most likely crank bearings and/or oil break down from high heat. Stretching the pressure releif spring or adding washers will not solve you're problem. :banghead It's an old engine and may run for many more years with early attention. :toothy7: It's like my doctor said, I just have to drop a gear when climbing a ridge. :cry: Toys are exspensive. :violent1: Wecome to airboating. :salute: Had I headed my own advice, I would have bought a new boat 20 years ago. :dontknow: :lol: :lol:
You're down time, agravation and being towed has to be considered also. :scratch: I've put enough money in these old boats to float a battle ship. :roll:

:proud: :old_glory: :usa: :florida: :florida: :rebel:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) »

Might be a good time to switch to a small block! ;)
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Airboatermike54321
Southern Airboat Member

Lmao...ya know the thought did cross my mind..lol.

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Comanche-pup »

Airboatermike54321 wrote:Lmao...ya know the thought did cross my mind..lol.
Or for now, do like Gerald said, and rings aren't that much.

AV8R040
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by AV8R040 »

If you would fill in your profile we could point you in the right direction. Your smoke may be just a bad ring in one cylinder. A leak down test will help identify that.

The washers will bring up the oil pressure but may not be the right fix for long term but think about it these springs have been in the engine since the 40s or 50s and may be weak. There are replacement springs avaliable for the airplanes and are the same as the one you have. You can use the washers to verfiy the spring is weak and buy a replacement spring may not be as bad as you think.

Kajun yes GPU's are the same as AC they were made as ground power units by continental and lycoming for the US Military.
Nugent/Palin 2016

Airboatermike54321
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Guess I bought a.lemon.220 gpu

Ive tried to do the info as to wher im at..im in jacksonville fl..

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”