Alternator question

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
Jim522
Southern Airboat Member

Alternator question

Post by Jim522 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:44 pm

Noticed my gauge was reading 18 volts last weekend on my ride out to possum head. Was worried about hurting the battery so I cut the belt off. Read 12 volts on my ride in. Took the alternator off and had it tested, the guy said he ran it on the tester for 30 minutes and its putting out fine. So could this be a wiring problem? Anything else I should look at or test? Thanks

Jim522
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Alternator question

Post by Jim522 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:47 pm

It's a single wire Mitsubishi alternator on a pe60

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:55 pm

I have had a couple that acted 'stupid' like that along the way.

Before the internal regulator takes its final dump, it can intermittently act stupid.
Have seen them read high like that, then go back to nomal and/or not charge at all and then start again later.

My guess is that it's on it's way out and that is your first clue.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Jim522
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jim522 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:21 pm

So I guess it would be best to just buy another alternator then. Nothing else to look for? And another question, the alternator ha a Mitsubishi symbol on it but no numbers whatsoever so I have no idea what to replace it with. I've googled some that look similar and pretty inexpensive but not sure if amperage matters. Most seem to be around 55 amps. Hoping not to have to replace the mounting bracket. Does anybody know if they're all the same? As far as mounting and amperage?

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OneBFC » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:56 pm

Here's a potentially silly question but why don't folks with A/C setups run a cheap and simple 1 wire AC Delco (GM) alternator?

Dirt cheap
Easy to rebuild yourself (seriously)
Easily found even in Africa
Very dependable

Maybe there's a good reason, just curious what it is.

Good luck with your problem....18 volts into a 12 volt battery = some dead cells quick. I think you did the right thing for sure.
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

woodwagon
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Alternator question

Post by woodwagon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:27 pm

OneBFC wrote:Here's a potentially silly question but why don't folks with A/C setups run a cheap and simple 1 wire AC Delco (GM) alternator?

Dirt cheap
Easy to rebuild yourself (seriously)
Easily found even in Africa
Very dependable

Maybe there's a good reason, just curious what it is.

Good luck with your problem....18 volts into a 12 volt battery = some dead cells quick. I think you did the right thing for sure.

That's the alternator I run. Works fine
When in doubt, throttle out!

chugalug
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by chugalug » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:23 pm

Some folks like the small alt, makes it look like a race engine! I like my $25 GM alt. I Put a 4" pulley on it to slow it down a bit.

GigginRibbits
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GigginRibbits » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:50 pm

Back when my alternator went I remember standing at autozone going through 50 boxes to find one that matched up....I wont be much helping figure out which one but I will say you should get one from autozone. Lifetime warranty and you do not need a receipt.

Also on a side note, they have lifetime warranty Duralast brake pads, sounds ridiculous but its true and I'm on my 3rd pair now!

skinny99
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by skinny99 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:48 pm

GigginRibbits wrote:Back when my alternator went I remember standing at autozone going through 50 boxes to find one that matched up....I wont be much helping figure out which one but I will say you should get one from autozone. Lifetime warranty and you do not need a receipt.

Also on a side note, they have lifetime warranty Duralast brake pads, sounds ridiculous but its true and I'm on my 3rd pair now!

This is the part number to a small alternator that is commonly used. It is a one wire alternator.
12180se

Have one on my boat,works great.
Successful people do what others won't or can't!

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”