0300 bendix magneto question

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
Shippee123
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

0300 bendix magneto question

Postby Shippee123 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:30 pm

I am trying to find a manual on proper mag timing. I have an 0300 the left mag was taken apart. I found an article on setting the internal timing, but nothing on setting it up to the engine. I don't see any timing marks on the gear. I know I have to set the crank to the designated timing, but don't know where the mag should be set when assembled. The engine runs on the right mag, the left has spark but the engine does not run when the right mag is grounded.

Any help is appreciated
11'6"x7' Royal craft with a 0300a Continental swinging a 74"two blade Super Snapper

twister69z
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: 0300 bendix magneto question

Postby twister69z » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:48 am

The timing marks are on the crankshaft flange. If you have a front mounted starter you may not see them, if you don't : Simple pull #1 spark plug out , Mags OFF! pull through till compression stroke and impulse clicks, connect magneto timing light to the P lead of the correctly timed magneto. Back the propeller approx. 30 degrees , slowly turn in the direction of rotation till timing light shows point opening. Install the in correctly timed magneto with the red tooth in the window. connect timing light to it. Rotate magneto till timing light indicates point opening. Should get you really close until a qualified mechanic can adjust them properly.
Twister69z
If you don't have time to do it right the first time ,
Where are you going to get the time to do it a second time?

Shippee123
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: 0300 bendix magneto question

Postby Shippee123 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:04 am

Thanks, I'll give it a shot .
11'6"x7' Royal craft with a 0300a Continental swinging a 74"two blade Super Snapper

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”